New Sigma 18-35mm 1:1.8 zoom?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by addieleman, Jun 14, 2013.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
  2. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I'd much rather have a 17-70/2.8 weighing 600g :)

3. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That would be nice too, but I'm not sure I'd only get 1 of those two options. :D

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    While the speed would be nice the lack of an aperture ring and the weight are somewhat off-putting. It is fast though. :)

5. Hypocaffeinic

Hypocaffeinic TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2013
    Qld, Australia
    Nearly a kilo?! Sigh. I just about choked on my beer reading 18-35mm f/1.8 in the title, but nearly a kilo...?? :'(

6. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    It looks too good to be true and it is: it's an A-mount lens so not directly mountable on the NEX :(. So we don't get the serious lenses, but we do get PDAF on the NEX-6 that cannot be switched off so that we can enjoy the same kind of cr*p with frontfocus/backfocus as our DSLR friends. :mad:

7. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    Ad, that was a part of my decision making between 6 vs 7. I wasn't sure if the 6 would be susceptible to FF/BF associated with PDAF. Hopefully the partnership with Olympus will improve CDAF on the NEX system? Wishful thinking, may be. Or at least the option of turning off PDAF in the future.

8. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    The option to switch it off would be the least I'd expect, doesn't cost anything.