1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Samyang lenses (50mm f/1.4 and 14mm f/2.8)

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by NickCyprus, May 3, 2016.

1. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Thanks for sharing. Could consider the 14/2.8 for some astrophotography shots if not too much prone to distortion. Let's wait for the price.

3. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Very interesting. An unexpected move by Samyang, given their success with manual focus primes. Too bad, I recently picked up the 14mm f/2.8 manual focused version. It's quite good, not missing the AF.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    For me and my personal use, what would make that 14mm a definite purchase, is offcourse the price and if it comes with a removable lens hood (so one could mount square ND filters). AF is not a necessity for me either :)

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I'll be watching that 50 mm lens, I might prefer it over the Sony FE 50/1.8.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Ah yes! The integrated lens hood is a detracting item on this lens. ;)

7. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    So it has an integrated one? :(

8. Alex66

Alex66 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2014
    I don't get the 50mm, I would have thought since they have a formula for a 135mm that would make more sense, the 1.4 is not really that much brighter than 1.8 and it would have to be either a lot less than the 55 Sonnar or better optically. Also does AF really matter in a 14mm lens given that even at 2.8 the DOF is pretty massive. I would be all over a 135mm though so perhaps I am biased in wanting one.

9. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    One could look at this from two opposing viewpoints:
    1. FE users are not buying their MF lenses, so they will try AF, or...
    2. Their MF lenses are so popular that they venture into AF:)
    Either way, good luck to them, we need more native lenses. It is odd that nobody yet made an AF 35 f2 lens...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    It may not be much brighter, but the rendering and bokeh will be quite different to a f/1.8. It is a stop better than both the Zeiss and new Sony FE 50. Clearly aimed for the portrait shooter.
    It'll likely fall in between the Sony and Zeiss price wise. The 135 f/2 is pretty amazing. But unless it's being sold out, I don't think there is a demand for the 135 focal length. But you never know...maybe it will a third release. But I suspect a 85mm f/1.4 AF that's affordable is more logical, given how competitive that portrait focal length is.
    Agree with you on the usefulness of AF on a 14mm f/2.8. But it is interesting that this offering is a new design for Sony's register length, and not the existing formula of the manual model.

11. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    Are we certain the 14/2.8 lens design is signifiantly different from the original MF lens? They're both 14 element/10 group lenses, and that's pretty much all we know for now. If the weight is similar/on par to their MF offering, and the optical performance (particularly coma, etc) is good enough for astro, the AF lens is a very, very attractive option to me. The 50/1.4 I'm less interested in, but I would buy a 135/2.0.

12. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I think this announcement by Samyang is great news for the E-mount system in general. Another maker of native AF lenses is a very, very good thing to see, regardless of what focal lengths they start out with. The system is maturing rapidly now, and between the announcements so far just this year from Sony, Zeiss, Sigma and now Samyang, we are getting a flood of new lenses to choose from. All good. All good.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Yeah, it also shows a lot of belief in the system. That said, I have no interest in these lenses (I would take the 55/1.8 over 50/1.4 any day... remember the Zony has T1.8 which is not to be sniffed at, it's likely they will be virtually indistinguishable in brightness). 67mm filter thread also means lenses approaching the size of the 16-35 or 90/2.8... uh those are really as big as I want to go outside of tele!

I agree that they should have gone for a 35/2 or 35/1.8 workhorse lens... that would have been a huge hit, I would happily preorder that.

14. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    If they could do AF for their amazing 135mm F2.0 without affecting the IQ I would be in heaven considering that lens IQ matches the legendary Zeiss and easily beats the Canon/Nikon top 135 offerings.
    One can only dream :D

15. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Seems like it was only a matter of time before someone offered a dedicated 50/1.4 (I type the morning after the official announcement... ;))
    For me, it would have to be nice and strong, wide open. If it needed to be stopped down to f/1.8 or f/2 for the kind of rendering I like, I've got a shelf full of old faster lenses like that - not to mention the FE55 which is good to go at any setting.
    They do of course make 1.4 normal primes that are good from wide open but the sizing and pricing keep steering me back to the FE55 (which IMHO can already get way too shallow if you get in somewhat close without stopping down).

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

I want to be excited about this. But Samyang lenses thus far have been basically disposables in terms of build quality. You can't repair them and their internals are aren't put together well. I'd want to see evidence of QC improvements before I got a lens from them that upped the complexity the way AF lenses do.

Still. The more the merrier, I say!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    At least my 135mm F2 has been rock solid for me. Didnt have the 14mm too long to evaluate it as was never impressed with its rendering.

18. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I think the key word when we are talking about Samyang lenses as alternatives, is the matter of cost. The Zeiss FE 55 is a $1000 lens :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    No hint at pricing on these yet, though Samyang/Rokinon has always been tempting in that department.
    The sizing on the 50/1.4 does look promising (i.e. bigger - not just some old film-era design slapped in to a plastic shell).

20. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

LensRentals' Roger Cicala has described them as "disposable" in the past. That was before the 135mm was released, however. The higher price of that lens has always made (1) nervous about trying and (2) hopefully that they put some extra time into it--because everything I've read about it makes it sound completely amazing.