New Samyang AF 35mm 1.4

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by NickCyprus, Oct 10, 2017.

1. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    • Like Like x 4
  2. grillec

grillec TalkEmount Regular

Mar 19, 2015
    In 2011 I've bought the non-AF Nikon-version and the IQ seems quite good but it was very big and heavy (if I compare this to a Voigtländer 35mm/1.7 VM the difference is so obvious). Samyang didn't changed the size with the AF-version as it appears. But £599 and a better IQ than the old one could be interesting - it would be my first 35mm focal length AF-lens for the A7.

3. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    In my opinion, though pricey the Zony 35mm does perform very well. And is very small.

It does look interesting and always good to see the 3rd parties ramp up the competition a bit.

4. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    The Sony Zeiss 35mm 1.4 FE is not small. Perhaps you mean the 35mm 2.8?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    agreed.

I have no interest in large lenses, but I think any new lens in the FF e-mount helps. If this is successful, maybe this pushes Sony to make a FE 35 1.8 about the size of the FE 50 1.8 to match the price point.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, if it's sharp edge-to-edge like the f/2.8. Then maybe. Faster is better.

7. grillec

grillec TalkEmount Regular

Mar 19, 2015
    Recently I've heard that the AF of the Samyang 50mm/1.4 and 35mm/2.8 seems not to be very quiet and additionally not very reliable in APS-C mode.
    If that is the case than I would have preferred an improved non-AF version (like Samyang Pro for Canon).

8. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Err... ummm... yeah never mind. :oops:

• Funny Funny x 1