1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New SAL70400G2 on my NEX6 with an LAEA2

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Larry, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    I received the lens yesterday and went out today to take some pics. First impression was the it is heavy over 5 pounds.

Blue heron at 400mm

Crow at 400mm

Apartments

Now to try a moving object. :D

A more challenging moving object.
    I see the spots and need to investigate.

I did try to catch some flying birds but all I got was a blurry background and no birds. Sorry Danny!

This is a shot at 200mm with my SEL18200 maxed out.

This is the same as above but with the SAL70400G2 at 200mm.

Larry

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Seems to work. ;)

3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Looks sharp enough to me on the web-sized pics and focussing seems OK. I'm not sure I like the bokeh in #2, it's almost ring-like. The spots in #5 can hardly be anything else than sensor dust specks, you probably used a small aperture here. And there's no going around it, serious telephoto means serious lens weight, not to mention the tripod you may need...

4. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    One step at a time Larry :) Perched or static birds come first mate.

Dirk uses this lens as well on the NEX with the adaptor, very nice combination for sure. Its a sharp lens and love the Herons. The first is a great shot and well timed. Just try and keep those speeds up and to start with, I would try a monopod on it. After awhile you get to understand the technique needed and then its fine just hand held. Monopod or tripod first though IMO.

Yep, clean that sensor.

All the best and looking forward to more.

Danny.

5. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    I can't duplicate the spots as in the airplane picture. I hung a white cloth in the house and shot wide open. No spots. I then took the camera outside and shot the sky wide open. No spots. The sky today is more overcast than yesterday. Is there an exposure combination that will show the spots better? Also besides dust on the sensor could dust on the translucent mirror be a possibility?

Thanks

Larry

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    If you want sensor dust to show up, you should be shooting with the aperture closed down, not wide open. Once you get above f/11 they'll start to show, and by f/16 they'll be unmistakable. I have no idea about the translucent mirror, though.

7. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    Thank you Woodworks. I first shot the sky at f16 and did a second at f18 just for fun. When I downloaded the pics the f16 showed no spots. The f18 did show spots. Maybe the LAEA2 in between made the difference.

I looked at the sensor and I could see the dust. I could have looked in the first place but what fun is that. I used my air brush and removed most of the dust. I noticed the sensor still had something on it so I wrapped a Q-tip in microcloth and lightly went over the sensor.

I took 2 more pictures, f18 and f20. It didn't show any spots.

Thanks again.

Larry

8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    :clap2:

9. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    The other thing that can happen Larry which I noticed only once. At F/32 (which I use for macro) it showed a ton of spots, I cleaned the sensor and they still showed up. Finally I looked at the rear element on the lens itself, a ton of dust on that element. Cleaned the rear element and all spots were gone. So it came down to be well stopped down and it wasn't the sensor at all. Surprising what an F/stop like that will show.

10. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    spots. cleaned.
    Here are the before and after pics. While most everyone here know all this it was a learning point for me.

Also I leaned I can't take a picture without a focus point. When I pointed the camera to the sky the shutter wouldn't operate The SAL70400G2 lens has 3 buttons around the rim that you press to lock the focus. I put the tree top in the middle of the frame, focused, pressed a focus lock button, repositioned the frame to mostly sky, press the shutter.

This is my 4th attempt at attaching a picture using my main computer on talknex.com. The original pictures on this thread was done using the talknex app on my tablet. Just goes to prove you can teach old dogs new tricks.

Larry

11. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    NEX6-LAEA@-SAL70400G2-short. NEX6-LAEA@-SAL70400G2-long.
    Here are a couple of pictures of my NEX6-LAEA2-SAL70400G2 combination. You can see the focus hold buttons, one just below the AF/MF switch. This is the first really long lens I've owned so I don't know what features other lenses have. There is a slide open window on the hood to slide your finger in to rotate a polarizing filter. The tripod mount ring can be loosened to rotate the whole assembly to change to a vertical frame. Otherwise I would have to flip it using the ball head joint which might put the tripod out of balance.

The one thing missing is a lock for the zoom ring. It doesn't move when I hold it vertical but when I take it out of its case it does extend out a bit.

Larry

12. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    That may be even bigger than my Nikkor 80-400. :)

You could pick up one of these to stop the lens creep.

13. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    Nice lens for sure.

Does it have two thread holes in the tripod foot or just one screw thread Larry, on the lens I mean. ??

Danny.

14. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    Bimjo- as you see I have a rubber band on my zoom ring. I do this for feel to find the ring without looking. I looked at the web site you referred me to. My little rubber band will do this as well, I tested it. Thanks.

Danny- the tripod mounting foot has 2 threaded holes, a 1/4-20 and a 3/8-16.

Larry

15. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Even better!

16. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    Thanks Larry, that's good mate. I wasn't sure on that and two stops it from moving and twisting compared to a single screw mount. You can get plates with the two thread holes to match, not sure on that Manfotto mount you have there, looks like it could be a single.

All the best Larry and what a fine lens it is.

Danny.

17. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    I went out yesterday and took pictures with the 400 of the city and Elliott Bay here in Seattle, WA, USA. Some of these I processed and cropped. I have some color blindness. If anyone sees any color issues I would appreciate comments. If they are bad enough I'll stop post processing. :)

DSC05435_edited-1. DSC05461_edited-2. DSC05526_edited-1. DSC05557_edited-1-cr. DSC05599_edited-1-cr. DSC05611_edited-1-cr. DSC05626_edited-1. DSC05640_edited-1.

Larry

• Like Like x 4
  18. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    Bimjo,

My rubber band trick doesn't work. The one you referenced is much thicker and probably a tighter fit. If lens creep becomes a problem I may get their band.

Larry

19. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Ah well, the bands aren't that expensive. Too bad the rubber band didn't work though. Nice pics, were you up at Kerry Park? Some of these could maybe use a bit of a contrast bump, but the colors seem ok for the light you had.

I notice the top of the Space Needle is back to white again, seems to change quite frequenly. :)

20. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    Yep, it was Kerry Park. I figured I'd get up there before the rain gets here this next week. My dust on the sensor has returned. Now that I'm changing lens more I'll have to sweep more.

Larry