1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New RM-SPR1 Remote Commander

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Hawkman, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Just wondering, does anyone here have any experience with the new RM-SPR1 one-button remote Sony announced alongside the a5100?

I've decided it's high time I get a remote trigger and I'd like a simple name-brand solution, which this new unit seems to provide. However, the Sony website appears to indicate that it is only guaranteed compatible with the a5100.
    http://store.sony.com/remote-commander-zid27-RMSPR1/cat-27-catid-All-Cameras-Alpha-NEX-Accessories

I would hope, as it works in the new standard multi-interface port, it would be compatible with any models having that new port, from my lowly a3000, to the a6000, to the a7 series.

2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    One thing I'll volunteer as an alternative to the '1 Button' version you're considering, is this DSLR-2 from Sony...it has several functions...shutter of course, but also 2 sec delay, a video button, etc, etc. ( assuming it would work with your model )

• Like Like x 2
  3. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Grabbed that Rounball thx for the post.

4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I like the fact that it's wireless and use it pretty often...wildlife shots if I'm set up in a spot that I can pre-focus on to minimize any movement.....same for videos

5. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Unfortunately, one of the things the a3000 does not have is an IR receiver for a wireless remote. So I'm limited to wired options compatible with the multi-interface port. Thanks for trying though.

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Too bad...wonder if some outfit has or is coming out with a Hot Shoe or USB plug-in wireless receiver for the 3000

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I think Sony has such a plug-in wireless for either the multi-interface shoe or the multi-interface port, but that ramps up the cost a lot.

8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Sony's prices are outrageous...but that's actually good news because it means some tech company has already come out with or is about to come out with a normal / reasonably priced edition

• Like Like x 1
  9. nikono

nikono TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 28, 2014
    Newer Sony cameras including the A3000 had a USB port named "multi USB". They made the tip longer to include contacts for accessories and other uses.
    The longer tip goes deeper in the camera when plugged in. The Muilti-USB supports Sony RM-VPR1 cabled remote control ($60).

Search online for "A7 remote shutter". If it shows the USB tip, look closely at it, you'll see the longer tip. That should work for A3000.
    Wired remote should be $10-$20. Wireless remote is $20-$40.

• Like Like x 2
  10. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    @roundball@roundball does that IR remote work with the a7ii?

11. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Don't know...I don't think the a7 was out yet when the RC2 was made but that doesn't necessarily mean it wouldn't work...companies usually ensure subsequent similar models use already established accessories...maybe give sony support a call?

12. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Heh, I've only got the rental another full day. Rather than waste my time on the phone I'm enjoying the Sunshine. However if anyone knows how/if to get the IR remote working on the a7ii I wouldn't mind reading your thoughts. Not a big deal really. I noticed right away that I didn't see remote icon in drive menu, figured I was out of luck @ that point.

13. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    According to this link about accessories, the RMT-DSLR/2 I showed above does in fact work with the A7ii.

(scroll down)

http://briansmith.com/sony-a7-a7r-accessories-guide/

14. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    I went with a radio remote from pixl for around 60€ 2.4 GH and no trouble with functionallity. Will do multible expodures (series) delayed and buld (press to open and press to close shutter)

15. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Hmm ok. But how? Lol. I've had this a7ii in every conceivable mode, the IR remote doesn't seem to want to work with it. Works great with NEX but only when im in the correct (remote) mode. Don't see anything like it on the a7ii or anywhere in the menus.

16. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Quick update on my original post/inquiry about a wired remote. I decided to give one of the 3rd party wired shutter release controls a chance. Ordered a US$10 "Mudder Wired Remote Shutter Release Control Cable Cord with Multi-Terminal" that turns out to be labeled as a "PiXeL RC-201". So far. so good. Just used it tonight for some astro-photos with the telescope. Does what you'd expect and acts as a shutter release button, complete with half-press.

17. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    these remotes, do they work for the "b" shutter?

18. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Did you try Set up -> Remote Control? You have to set that to ON to have the camera react to an IR remote control. Beware that the camera's auto switch-off is disabled when this setting is active.

• Informative Informative x 2