• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

"New" Rig.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
I have been using a Sony A6300 and have been fighting urge to get a full frame A7 II, figuring about the same. Am I dim, or is this common? (Am old film guy with larger format leanings for more res.)

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I started my Sony adventure with a Nex-7. Using adapted lenses only, I got tired of not seeing images at their native focal length so got a used A7ii. It got frustrating because of the ISO performance in low light. I treated myself to an A7iii and am happy now. I still have the A7ii and am considering putting adapted lenses on it once again. For some reason I'm really 'comfortable' with using them on that body whereas I haven't reached that comfort level with the iii yet.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks. Does the A7 II compare with the A6300? I just would like to use the one in place of the other for the format difference.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
I went from an a6000 with manual lenses to an A7II. For the same reasons of desiring to see the actual focal length, and to gain IBIS. Both were fulfilled, and the a6000 now only see its native AF lenses, and the very long reflex lenses for shooting the Moon.
I much prefer the A7II's full frame benefits and IBIS. Unless you're cash constrained, I'd recommend stepping up to the A7III for its better ISO from the newer sensor. The A7II has the original A7 sensor. The A7III has a revised IBIS, and beefier, quieter shutter too. And you won't be dealing with the annoyingly weak batteries of the A7II. The A7III's superior AF is nice when you do use native AF glass, and better AF performance via eye-AF, etc.

I mostly shoot landscapes, so the A7II with manual lenses isn't lacking anything for my needs. One day will upgrade to perhaps the A7RIII or A7RIV for the res jump and Z battery.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I agree with what Will (WNG) says about the iii vs ii. I don't worry about the battery on the ii running out, I've got four or five of them I think. The iii battery goes forever it seems. 'Course you have to shoot to run it down and I don't do nearly as much of that as I should.
I'd love to go with one of the R series, but don't need the extra megapixels clogging up my already slow computer.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I suggest you use this site:

https://cameradecision.com/search

To make your comparisons.
I'm not sure what is important to you camera wise so it's better to use that as it compares most features of the camera's.
Love it, thank-you AoA...site is very good and have decided to use it more then DPReview...thanks for the link and the info.

Last edited:

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I'd love to go with one of the R series, but don't need the extra megapixels clogging up my already slow computer.

AoA, I think you got a new hot rod for a computer not too long ago? Having problems already?

Ah yes, here it is, thank God for search! https://www.talkemount.com/threads/computer-he.19762/

Not that I don't understand the megapixels thing. I love the used A7Riii I picked up a while back, but processing pics can be a bit slower. Not as slow as I thought it would be, though.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I am totally happy with my two APSC cameras(A6400 and A6600) but, I got a good deal on an A7iii and had some money left over from selling the Canon gear I had accumulated, so I have an A7iii also.
The A7iii is a great camera but realistically, I would be happy with the pair of APSC bodies...

jimmoore

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
Thank you Richard you are saving me from spending more cash, I keep looking at full frame.

Do you see, apart from full time AF and the bigger battery, any big difference between the a6500 and the a6600.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jim

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
AoA, I think you got a new hot rod for a computer not too long ago? Having problems already?

Ah yes, here it is, thank God for search! https://www.talkemount.com/threads/computer-he.19762/

Not that I don't understand the megapixels thing. I love the used A7Riii I picked up a while back, but processing pics can be a bit slower. Not as slow as I thought it would be, though.
Yes, I did Bob. It's running just fine. A guy's gotta have something to complain about doesn't he, other than the covid stuff I mean.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
I don't have a hankering for full-frame (I want to keep the camera compact), but then, I had not been a keen film photographer for a long time. However, I can draw one lesson from my experience of buying a a6000 and then an a6500 less than two years later. It is a lesson that is applicable to a lot of purchasing decisions: It is always cheaper to buy once. Perhaps WNG's advice appplies...
Unless you're cash constrained, I'd recommend stepping up to the A7III for its better ISO from the newer sensor.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
It's even cheaper to buy used, especially the last generation after the new generation comes out. 🙂

xavyr

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
William the Crankier
What a timely discussion to have found! WNG's posts covered my questions and queries completely.
Now to look for a solid A7 II.

Last edited:

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
If I want small, I prefer 1" sensor cameras like the RX100 or my phone. Everything else it's FF all the way! The A7II is a good camera, but it has a few weaknesses fully addressed with the A7III. If you plan to keep your A6300, I'd get the A7II for shared battery and you'd have a viable backup. If you plan on selling, I'd use the extra cash for an A7III instead. The A7III is like the A6300 + A7II combined, with dual card slots, better battery and improved sensor.

Top Bottom