New revolutionary sensor may be on the way

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by WestOkid, Nov 12, 2014.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    • Like Like x 2
  2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Sounds expensive!
    Exciting though, and hopefully in the Emount lineup for 2017 when I'll like get GAS for a new body again!

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Interesting for sure. If there's one thing that might lure me back to a smaller sensor, it would be something along these lines. But I doubt that I'd wait until it comes out in APS-C format. Can you imagine this sensor technology in an RX-100 form factor, with perhaps a fast 24-240mm equivalent lens? All my current gear would go up on eBay the very next day. ;)

4. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Sensor for a7000?

5. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    No, won't be that soon

6. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I'm holding my breath earlier rumors about the z4 cell phone getting a curved sensor were really about this tech instead.

Scribed henceforth from thy G pad.

7. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Currently, Sony only describes this sensor as a 2 MP variant for video use. And that's great for people who want to shoot video. But I, personally, can't live with a 2 MP stills camera anymore, no matter how good the sensor might be. Sure, the resolution will increase, but reading through the leaked patent, it seems like there's a looong way to go before we reach usable resolutions, sensor sizes and prices. My guess is maybe 2018 for the first APS-C sized sensor using this technology, maybe a little later. But who knows - maybe Sony hired an army of geniuses to actually ship it by 2017 - I certainly would be glad to upgrade in that case.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mcvu

mcvu TalkEmount Regular

Sep 24, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    Minh
    Combine this technology with curved sensor and a whole new set of small lenses then Sony will be unbeatable.

With the curved sensor, we'll have to throw all our current lenses out the window :(