• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

New Products from ShutterBands for 2018

Del

TalkEmount Rookie
Thanks to Amin, Talk E-Mount administrator, for giving me permission to post about my new ShutterBands products here on talkemount.com!

I mentioned in my post last July that three new products were under development. SD CardTabs was launched in September and Lens Jammies and the Batteries + Cards Case were launched in December 2017. I'd like to share some information about these new products and why they were developed.

SD CardTabs

If you own a Sony a6000, a6300 or a6500 - this product is designed for you. You know how awkward it is to remove the memory card from your camera - crammed against the battery door hinge. It's really difficult to get your fingers around the card to pull it out. SD CardTabs solve that problem with a thin flexible tab that attaches to the memory card - providing a handle to remove it.

SDCardTab Packaging - Front with Tabs.jpg
   ---            
When the battery door is closed - the tab folds effortlessly against the bottom of the battery, and when the door opens, it springs to attention ready to be used. The tab attaches to the backside of the memory card so that it folds away from the card (not over the card's edge).

There's currently a promotion on SD CardTabs - get it free with the purchase of ShutterBands Enhancement Kit for Sony E-Mount. This offer is available at bhphoto.com, amazon.com and shutterbands.com. Good thru April 30 2018.

Lens Jammies

This product came about because I wanted a better way to store my gear in my camera backpack. I had purchased the LowePro FlipSide 200 backpack which is sized just right for a mirrorless camera and 4 lenses. I wanted to keep my Sony 90mm f/2.8 Macro G lens and FE 70-300mm lens protected in a bag - but the ones supplied by Sony were much to bulky. The other lens case options on the market were almost all the same heavy neoprene construction. I couldn't find a supplier for larger microfiber drawstring bags, which I thought would be perfect. That was my motivation for creating create Lens Jammies.

LensJammies70-300.jpg
   ---            

I found a manufacturer to create these bags to my specifications in four sizes: S, M, L, and XL. The 230 gsm fabric is a supple 80% polyester + 20% polyamide microfiber blend. I specified a heavy 5mm drawstring so the bag would stay closed. Lens Jammies come in a "variety pack" with one of each size like this:

LensJammies-Front Trimmed.jpg
   ---            

Lens Jammies are designed with generous openings so there's no struggle getting things in or out. My Sony 90mm f/2.8 Macro G and FE 70-300mm lenses are both equipped with the excellent NovoFlex Tripod Collar which adds considerably to the lens dimensions. The Large Lens Jammies fits these with ease.

I was pleased and surprised to discover that with the Lens Jammies on my lenses, the silky fabric acts as a "lubricant", making it easier to insert and remove the lenses from the compartments in my backpack. Removing a lens is even faster since you can grab the top of the bag and gently pull the bagged lens out of its pocket.

Holding the lens by the bag also helps insure that I don't accidentally drop the lens in the process. It provides a sure grip on an expensive lens.

I also use Lens Jammies to protect my Sony and Nissin i40 flashes, Phottix wireless transmitter and receivers, SMDV wireless remote, Sony RM-VPR1 remote, and tripod ball heads.

LensJammies-Backpack.jpg
   ---            

You might wonder what you might use the XL size Lens Jammies for if you don't own a super-telephoto lens. Here's my answer to that question:

LensJammies-Tripod.jpg
   ---            

Use an XL Lens Jammies to cover your entire camera plus large lens when it's not in use! When the new FE 400mm f/2.8 GM OSS Super-Telephoto lens is available from Sony in the summer of 2018 - you'll have a Lens Jammie on hand ready to fit it.

Each Lens Jammie includes an ID tag to identify the contents of the bag. I'll provide custom round labels for your ID tags if you'll tell me what you want printed on them. (Information on getting free labels printed is included in the package.)

LensJammies_IDTag.jpg
Apple    iPhone 7 Plus back dual camera 6.6mm f/2.8    7mm    f/2.8    1/40s    ISO 20
Lens Jammies are available at adorama.com, amazon.com, and shutterbands.com

Batteries + Cards Case
Batteries and memory cards - they are essential - you can't take a picture without them. I think we'll all agree - they are expensive to buy and devastating to lose!

I designed the ShutterBands Batteries + Cards Case for me - to help keep track of my camera batteries and memory cards. My batteries were always scattered loose in my backpack and I was never certain which ones were charged and which ones needed charging. I do keep my memory cards in their clamshell cases (with CardTabs attached) but they were at the bottom of one of my backpack pockets, and I couldn't tell which ones had been used without loading them in my camera or card reader to take a look.

I envisioned a small case to organize these things - with a way to keep used batteries and cards separate from those that were ready to use. My Batteries + Cards Case makes these goals a reality. Here's the one I use for my a6300 which has the NP-FW50 battery:

NP-FW50 Batteries + Cards- Front Cropped.jpg
   ---            

For those who are fortunate enough to have one of the new a9 or a7riii cameras, there's a Batteries + Cards Case to accommodate the new NP-FZ100 high capacity battery.

NP-FZ100 Batteries + Cards- Front Cropped.jpg
   ---            

Keep track of charged batteries by placing them label-side down. Label-side up means the battery needs charging. You can use a similar strategy for memory cards.

These cases are moulded polyurethane covered with tough 1680D polyester fabric. A custom high-density foam insert with cutouts to fit your camera's specific battery is included.

They are compact enough to fit most backpack external pockets for easy access while you're shooting. An ID card in a vinyl sleeve (inside the mesh pocket) provides your contact info should the case be lost.

This is the case I wanted to buy for my camera, but couldn't find anywhere. Now it's available at adorama.com, amazon.com and shutterbands.com.

Batteries+Cards outside.jpg
   ---            

If you've never tried my ShutterBands products, I hope you'll give them a try. If you're not impressed, I'll gladly refund your purchase price.

If you are using ShutterBands products, I'd enjoy hearing more about how they are working for you here at TalkEMount.com.

Last edited:

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
Business question: If I buy from amazon by clicking on one of the amazon links on the above post, does talkemount get some money from the purchase?

Del

TalkEmount Rookie
Good question. I didn't ask Amin for affiliate links, but would be happy to use them. I'll get in touch with him and see if we can facilitate that and get back to you Bert. I would like talkemount to benefit from any purchases.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
If I buy from amazon by clicking on one of the amazon links on the above post, does talkemount get some money from the purchase?

Yes, and thanks for asking. Fwiw, affiliate revenue and subscription are not the reason why I allowed Del to post this here. Del asked in advance, and the moderator team input was to make an exception and allow it based on the items being of interest and usefulness to members.

One member has since contacted me to voice disappointment that we allowed this kind of promotional thread, and I told him that if he doesn't want to see it, to simply add Del to his ignore list.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Very creative product presentation. "Lens Jammies" is a great name. :)

I don't mind this being posted, though obviously we would not want this to become general practice. They are fairly unique products we might not otherwise hear about.

Latest posts

Top Bottom