1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Playmemories Smart Remote

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by jeffmurray, Oct 29, 2015.

1. jeffmurray

jeffmurray TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    Hi - all I thought I posted on this elsewhere but can't find it now.

There is a new PlayMemories out for Android and a new version (4.0) of Smart Remote for your camera. It now supports continuous shooting and bulb shooting. Very handy (I hope) for bracketing shots, and of course long exposures with wireless Liveview and camera control. Wow.

I will be testing it out tonight.

Here is the download link for camera update :

https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/usbdetail.php?eid=IS9104-NPIA09014_00-F00002

Look on Play store or App Store for your phone update. :) enjoy

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. jeffmurray

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    Bulb works well. Bracketing not supported :-(

Still, this is good progress from Sony.

Cool new feature is 'See in camera images' - allows you to review images that you have not taken with the Smart Remote, but which are on the card. Great feature.

Touch Shutter - shoots by touching the phone screen instead of the on screen button. Can't see a use for this as I use the screen to choose focus points.

If you have no card in the camera you can shoot and save the review image to the phone. Very handy as I once travelled away and left all my cards at home. This would have saved me.

Lastly you select which images are transferred to the camera rather than all being transferred as soon as you taken them. This is quite handy as it is faster. And has probably been implemented to allow the continuous shooting to be handled. That said on continuous shooting there is a series of images to review almost in real time when in this mode.

Settings like image transfer quality are now fully controlled on the phone App - rather than split between the camera menu and the phone. So you set the image transfer size in 'view images on camera.' This will be handy as a lot of uncompressed images on your mobile phone memory will fill it up pretty quickly. Now you can choose by photo which size you want to bring over. Very clever Sony.

It is a pretty solid update from Sony with new features and stabilisation improvements.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    PICT_20151024_111856.JPG
    I did some shots from a very low angle using my smartphone as remote so this uddate is nice indeed. Especially in situations like this where I cant see even the screen.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  4. jeffmurray

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    I agree - I generally shoot very low and love the App for that reason. I just need it to support bracketing.

The bulb is so helpful for long exposures - so great progress in that regard.

5. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thanks for the heads-up Jeff.

But I gotta ask. Am i the only one that does these updates in-camera over wifi? I never connect the camera to the computer for app purchases or updates. Only for firmware updates.

6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Gary,
    No, you're not the only one. Chrome doesn't support the online website downloader, and Firefox keeps crashing the plug-in when I plug in the usb cable.

This is good news! Bulb is going to be very handy. It doesn't work with the base firmware 1.0 for my a6000.
    Can anyone tell me if this will work with firmware 1.20 on the a6000? I read firmware 2.0 for the video codec update requires a class 10 card. And I don't want to be forced to buy new cards after flashing.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  7. jeffmurray

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    I did it in camera over wifi as well. Used Edge and Chrome - no luck.

Something I did notice last night in testing is the image size doesn't seem to work. I have the uncompressed firmware on the A7Rii and all that came over to the phone was a 1600 x 1100 image - even though I set it to 'original'.

8. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    Finally BULB mode. Now thats an update that may actually see me using the app.

9. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I found the DSLR 2 remote to work just fine for brackets. Fyi. I gave up on these apps. They are such an afterthought by sony

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I have found the installer rather finicky using anything except IE on Windows. You still have IE on Windows 10, it is just not the default. Also, I found I have to temporarily disable my antivirus (avast) while doing the updates, otherwise I get "network error" messages when it tries to install.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    That's why I say just install in-camera. Are there any advantages to connecting the camera to a PC and installing?

12. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Listen up Sony lumps of gold ahead.
    Doing the shot shown above I was thinking about mounting the lens on My tilt transformer. Now thinking about it Id love the abilities to zoom in on 2 areas at the same time and get to see them on a tablet so I can fintune tilt and focus without having to go back and forth. That would really make tilt photography a lot easier.

13. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Well, I went ahead and flashed to 2.0, safe knowing I had a copy of 1.20 saved. In case of SD card issue.
    But no card requirement warnings popped up after 2.0. The new smart remote is a lot more functional, but as for Bulb, it deactivates Long Exposure Noise Reduction when used in Bulb. So, that's not a good thing.
    I was able to use my 10 inch Android tablet, and the extra area of the screen is a big plus.