1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New Pentax will probably use Sony FF sensor

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by NickCyprus, Sep 19, 2015.

1. ChronoBodi

ChronoBodi TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 30, 2015
    more likely a tweaked 24 or 36MP sensor. I don't see Sony giving up their BSI 42MP sensor to anyone else yet. They probably realized this after the fact that the a99 has a 24 MP sony sensor, yet the Nikon has a sony 36mp sensor.

2. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Well isn't that a matter of where they can turn out the most profit?

3. GateCityRadio

GateCityRadio TalkEmount Regular

Oct 9, 2014
    Kev
    Ugh....I could barely get through the comments at the bottom...especially the one saying pentax has no FF lenses...some people don't realize pentax has been around for a very very long time and has been using the K-Mount in one form or another since the 70s and the m42 mount well before that...all which will work on the new FF camera (m42 with a simple adapter). Not to mention all of the samyang, sigma, and tamron lenses that are available. Several of the DA "APS-C" lenses will work on FF (covering the complete frame) as well.

The fact that the FF will use a sony sensor doesn't surprise me, since their current APS-C DSLR line-up uses sony sensors as well.

4. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Here you go . . . 36Mp vs. 36Mp. The new K-1 is about $100 less than the A7R, and the Pentax is the one with shake reduction and weather sealing (scratches his head). But look at link #3. Click on the top view of both cameras to truly appreciate the size difference. The K-1 also weighs more than 2X the A7R. Trade-offs, indeed.

TT

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-1-Fu...TF8&qid=1457010522&sr=8-1&keywords=pentax+k-1

Amazon.com : Sony a7R Full-Frame Mirrorless Digital Camera - Body Only : Compact System Digital Cameras : Camera & Photo

Compare camera dimensions side by side

5. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

I certainly wouldn't want to schlepp that thing around all day, even with just a 35mm prime but I guess it would look nice on my heavy old tripod. I played around with an A7II over the weekend and that's about the maximum I would want to carry these days but as usual the NEX had the last word :).

• Like Like x 1
  6. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I've had 3 NEX cameras (3N, 5R, 6), plus the current A7. The NEXs may have their limitations, but their IQ and portability are excellent.

TT

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

I've had two 5, a 5n, 6 and I'm on my third NEX-7. Limitations yes, the biggest one being the less than stellar low-light performance (noise, AF, EVF) but then I can always grab the Fuji and some of that fast glass. As good as the X-Pro1 is, especially all the great glass, as long as there's good light though I prefer the lower weight, manual focusing options and not at last the files of the NEX.

8. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Astrophotography is what led me to the NEX line. I was capturing starscapes with a Sony H20 P&S, and came to the conclusion that I needed a camera with better manual controls and a bigger sensor. That led me to the 5R, which was pretty good for that purpose. Upgrade fever led to buying and selling several other E-mount cameras over a couple of years or so. I have given serious consideration to ditching the A7 and going back to the smaller, simpler NEX-6. Only the improved dynamic range of the 7 has kept me from doing that.

TT

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Yeah, but... when most people whine about a lack of lenses they mean "cheap as hell, works like a Leica" lenses. Oh, and autofocus, because, well, we can't be bothered to do a little bit of work to take them snapshots with $3500 worth of camera gear, ya know?:laugh1:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1