New patent to close all AF gaps with DSLR

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by fractal, Sep 22, 2015.

1. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
  3. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    In other words, NEW Sony cameras will focus faster. What we have now we are stuck with. Pretty discouraging I think. And I just sold my D800 :(

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I've had no real issues with the AF on the A6000. The AF introduced with the A6000 really stepped up the AF from the NEX-6 and 7.

I've had a few missed shots, but I seriously dought any camera is perfect.

5. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Yeah Dave, I'm just in a whiney mood this afternoon. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    For most AF needs I think the new mirrorless cameras are right up there with TOP END DSLR's and better than most mid-tier DSLRs. There is still a gap to be closed in low light environments and continuous AF with moving objects. This new technology would seem to close that gap.

7. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Well that makes me feel a little better Chris. That wasn't what I got out of it, but if that was your take, I can live with that. Since my D750 is actually more light-sensitive than the D800, then I don't feel quite so bad (I haven't yet dispatched the D750) :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Tom, What are the differences you've noticed (if any) between the Sony mirrorless and the Nikons?

9. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Well the biggest difference is the AF lens availability (so I'm still waiting for some more Sony lenses), the other differences are mostly the control over the AF actions. I'm slowly learning how to make the A7RII work as well as (or better than) the Nikons, but it has been slow going for me (I'm a slow learner :) ). I've not done any really low-light stuff with the A7RII, so I can't comment on that (but I did force it to ISO 100,000 the other day - terrible image - I don't think anything over 50,000 is realistically useable).

Last Sunday I took some of the cameras to a little league game (the grandsons were playing). I took along the D750 with a 300mm F/4 and a 1.4 TC (ended up never using the TC), the A7RII with a 28mm 2.0, and a Nikon 1 with a 70-300mm on it. If you know about Nikon 1 (mirrorless teeny sensor, 2.7 crop factor, really fast frame rate - 20FPS), you will recognize that the effective reach of the 300mm is 810mm, and it can AF those 20FPS easily, so I used that for the batters. I used the D750 and the 300mm for fielding shots, and ended up not using the A7RII at all (I could have for some overall field shots - but that looked pretty boring so I didn't)! I didn't use any effective focal length of less than 300, and of course there isn't a native one of those for the A7RII (that I know of), and I wouldn't dare try to manual focus a sporting event - even if it is 8 year-old little league)!

So Chris, I don't really have a lot to report yet. I need to do a lot more comparison. And since comparing is not what I'm after, I'll probably learn as I go - which works best for which applications.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1