• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

New or used

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I have liquidated all of my fishing tackle on eBay since am getting too old to go out on the ocean to fish. Thus, I have a few extra dollars in my PayPal account...

I am considering selling my Sony 70-200mm f/4 G lens and using the money from that lens plus some dollars from my PayPal account to purchase a Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 lens for the Sony e-mount. I plan on purchasing from Adorama because I have had such good service from that company...

My decision is, should I purchase the lens new at $1199 or used in E- condition at $1019. The warranty for a used lens from Adorama is 6-months while the warranty on a new Tamron is considerably longer. OTOH, I have never needed to use a warranty on a lens... $180 savings is quite a bit and I have purchased an Sony 85mm f/1.8 from Adorama a few years ago and that lens was in perfect shape.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
So if the Sony 85mm was used, why would you even consider getting a new lens if it's in E- condition?
If I recall, that's a pretty good condition rating.

Black Elk

TalkEmount Regular
You may want to look around for factory refurbished gear. I have a number of refurbished lens. Got a super deal and they are like new.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I usually buy my lenses used or refurbished. I've not had any significant problems, and at least for recently made lenses (my Voigtlanders) you could not tell they were even used. I do not think I have ever used a warranty for a lens either. I almost never buys extended warranties on anything, 1st or 3rd party.

The one thing that could be an issue is if the lens was de centered or tilted. Thus far I have not had an issue with that myself. If they allow returns in the event you are not satisfied, then no worries.

If it was a truly expensive lens, say the Sony 600mm ($12,998), I might go new unless the source for a used lens was very trustworthy and reputable. I will likely never have to decide at that level, lol.

Petrochemist

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Mike
I generally only buy new if the lens is not available used, but I'd expect a bigger price difference for going used. 20-50% reduction is much more common. A 10% reduction is fairly normal for a ex demo lens that's never been out of the shop.

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
I've bought two lenses used from Adorama and I've been satisfied with both.

EarthQuake

New to TalkEmount
I tend to buy new cameras - I've had to use warranty service on many cameras, but rarely ever lenses. So I buy used lenses whenever I can - that way if I don't end up using the lens, I can sell it for about what it cost to buy.

I've bought hundreds of items on eBay and generally have had good experiences. It's important to pay attention to listing details, and seller feedback. It's also worth noting that even if a seller says they don't accept returns, if you receive a damaged item or something that is defective or otherwise not as described, you can open a case with eBay and they will in 99.99% of cases rule in favor of the buyer.

A good tip is to check sold/completed listings on eBay. This way you can see what items are selling for, rather than what sellers are asking. Items usually sell for less than what is up for a buy-it-now price on eBay on a given day. Bidding on auctions is often a way to get a used lens for a bit less money too.

Lastly, Greentoe is a good option if you want to buy new but at lower prices. I bought my A7 III on Greentoe for $1700, new with warranty, including shipping and no tax. I got my Samyang 75/1.8 for $350, and my Tamron 17-28mm for $842. Greentoe sellers can take a few weeks to ship, so it's not the best route if you need it fast. But it can be a good option for more recent releases when there may not be many used options available (or high used prices).

Then you have the buy/sell sections on sites like this and Fred Miranda. I've always had good experiences with these. (Not on this site yet, but on mu-43)

Last edited:

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Welcome to TalkEmount, EarthQuake.

ebay is fine with the caveats mentioned. With auctions, I think it is best in most cases to decide the most you want to pay for the item up front and give ebay that amount as your maximum bid. You won't have to pay any more than that, but you might get it for a lot less if there are few (or no) other bids. It avoids that last minute impulse bid auctioneers love. Just be sure you will be satisfied even if you pay your maximum.

I've considered but never used Greentoe. A lot of people come away pretty satisifed, from what I have read.

I have bought a lot of stuff on here or fm with good results. Like ebay you should check out sellers, but I have a much higher level of confidence with the members especially if they are participating on the site.

Top Bottom