• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

New NEX lens road map

Phoenix

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Phoenix Gonzales
I saw this article from Sonyalpharumours regarding the NEX’ lens roadmap for 2012 and 2013, being a prime shooter I am excited about the big aperture prime. I am hoping it will be on a 35mm focal as it will translate into a 50mm on the NEX, I reckon the biggest they’ll go is 1.4 but that’s alright.
Based on the article which of the lenses are you looking forward to?

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
Maybe a "thin snap prime" for me, like say a 24mm 1:1.8 pancake... and also the "wide angle zoom" like maybe a 14-24mm 1:2.8

Amin

TalkEmount All-Pro
I wonder what is meant by "Snap (Pancake)". What focal length range is Snap?

I would love a 24 or 35mm lens that is smaller and less expensive than the Zeiss 24 and at least f/2 in speed.

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I'm wondering too! But I personally don't think they'll built a 300€ 24mm f/2 pancake with decent quality. It just would take too much sales from the Zeiss. The 35mm focal length should be supplied by the "big aperture prime", so it may even be a 12mm, 40mm or 60mm pancake. Remember: Sony said with this flange back distance it's possible to build even longer focal length pancakes.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
The biggest complaint enthusiasts have with the NEX line so far has been the lack of lenses. Hopefully they will be able to find a lens they like as more and more are created.

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
I'm wondering too! But I personally don't think they'll built a 300€ 24mm f/2 pancake with decent quality. It just would take too much sales from the Zeiss.

Yes, that makes sense.

However, the more I think about it, I'd still get an E-24mm pancake of lesser quality than the CZ if Sony ever made one. Besides being out of my price league, the CZ is overkill (size, weight and quality) for a recreational enthusiast like me. I'm sure an affordable 24mm prime pancake will have many merits over the E 18-55mm at that focal length (faster aperture, smaller size, simpler elements with perhaps lesser CA or distortion compromise than a complex zoom).

I've just got my 24mm legacy working and I'm lovin the focal length (equivalent of a 36mm on film SLR) for "light" walkabout photography - but this beast is huge and heavy which kinda defeats the purpose. I'm dreaming of maple syrup at this focal length.

serhan

TalkEmount All-Pro
+1

I would love a 24 or 35mm lens that is smaller and less expensive than the Zeiss 24 and at least f/2 in speed.

+1

Besides being out of my price league, the CZ is overkill (size, weight and quality) for a recreational enthusiast like me. I'm sure an affordable 24mm prime pancake will have many merits over the E 18-55mm at that focal length (faster aperture, smaller size, simpler elements with perhaps lesser CA or distortion compromise than a complex zoom).

I've just got my 24mm legacy working and I'm lovin the focal length (equivalent of a 36mm on film SLR) for "light" walkabout photography - but this beast is huge and heavy which kinda defeats the purpose. I'm dreaming of maple syrup at this focal length.

I think existing VC 28mm f2/35mm f1.4 lenses and coming Fuji 28mm/35mm lenses prove that it can be done cheaper and smaller (maybe not perfect corners as Zeiss wide open). The latest samples from Fuji 35mm 1.4 samples look so good, but I like the smaller size factor and lower price of nex cameras. So smaller VC rf lenses will be only option for nex until Sony delivers similar size/price lenses.

madmaxmedia

TalkEmount Regular
Wondering about the 'large aperture standard'...it will be interesting to compare the upcoming Sigma 30mm f/2.8 to this lens. Obviously the Sony should be faster (but more expensive and perhaps larger).

I am guessing that 'snap' pancake means wider angle? I have no idea.

I had another thought- wouldn't it be nice if Sony came out with a 'large aperture standard' inspired by the Samsung 30mm pancake?

Latest threads

Top Bottom