1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New NEX 7 ??

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by hmorse, May 19, 2013.

1. hmorse

hmorse New to TalkEmount

May 19, 2013
    I have been reading a lot of the rumor mills about the new NEX 7N. I really want to purchase one ASAP. Some articles say it was due in April, then May then??? Does anyone have any updates about availability?

Thanks.

2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yeah, autumn is probably right as otherways I guess Sony would have released it at latest in June to be in time for the Zeiss Touit lenses.

4. Hawon

Hawon TalkEmount Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Hawon
    If you need one right away, what's the point of waiting? Get 7 and use it very carefully and flip it before 7n comes out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TalkNEX mobile app

5. Fiddler

Fiddler TalkEmount Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
    Despite all the rumours, nobody knows anything about this camera.

6. RAWFA

RAWFA TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 25, 2011
    I´ve read in a bunch different places that the NEX7N will have a completely redesigned sensor and that it will be Sonys' answer to the GH3 and om-d/e-m5. If I had to speculate I would bet on:
    - Faster AF (this alone would be enough for me to retire my NEX7)
    - Better iso performance (always good)
    - Better dynamic range (I´ve read this in several places...although I find the DR on the NEX7 excellent already)
    - Better video features (no more overheating, hopefully a headphone out, control over audio, audio monitoring, higher recording bitrate and better codec)
    - A cool new prime that will be sold along with it before Sony starts selling "body only" option

A wilder guess would be 2k video and IBIS, but I find it very doubtful since Sony is releasing multiple lenses with IS.

7. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Besides the marginal improvements, there are only two things that really would make it ultra competitive.

Either Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) recording right to a memory card to best the GH3 in its own category or a new EVF with both better refresh rate and higher pixel density. Everything else (besides some quirks with the control layout) already is perfectly fine in the current 7 IMHO.

8. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    If it had all those video features I think I might drop everything and buy it. Personally that would be the best stills/video combo camera, and so small too!

9. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Well, there is always another new thing around the corner so I prefer to get the stuff I need right now when I need it, rather than wait for it. When I bought my NEX-7, rumours had it that the NEX-7N would be released within a month. But I was very happy with the NEX-7 and wanted to use it straight away.

Unless you specifically need the next generation of NEX-7 (what do we know about it?) then the current one should be fine.