New NEX-5N user: Curious how you MFers set up your buttons.

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Martytoof, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Martytoof

Martytoof TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 23, 2013
    .... that's Manual Focusers, in case you were wondering ;) 

I just switched from a Nikon D200 to a NEX-5N. I'm a casual street shooter and quite frankly while the D200 is still really capable for an old camera, I found that the weight and size just made me not enjoy taking it out on the street anymore.

I'm going to be adapting a number of M39 lenses to the NEX so with that:

The first thing I noticed when I fired up the 5N is that the menu system is abysmal. I basically want to spend as little time looking at the menus as possible, so I'm wondering how other users of predominately adapted manual focus lenses have their software-buttons and 4 way dial set up..

2. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    No experience with the 5n, but on my NEX-7 with legacy glass, the custom-assigned button I use the very most is for MF Assist. I assign the AF/MF button on the 7 to that - I don't know if there is a comparable button on the 5n, but I would advise to find something handy that can be assigned to MF Assist, work that in to your shoot flow, then configure the other controls as needed.

3. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Unfortunately there's no extra Fn button on the 5N... :( 
    My way of setup:
    4-Way right: Shooting Modes
    4-way middle button: Custom = ISO, WB, Focus Mode (Flexible, etc.), Altering Mode (Multi, etc.), HRO
    Softkey B: AEL lock

Focus is always set to: DMF
    Peaking always on: yellow, middle

4. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Right Button: ISO (the one I change most often, since I don't use AutoISO, it's also the ISO button position on NEX 6);
    Center Button: Custom
    Metering Mode (Multi, Center, Spot), WB, Focus Mode (AF, DMF, MF), Auto Focus Area (Center, Flexible Spot, Multi)
    Bottom Button: Moving the focal point (only applies to AF, in MF it's MF assist anyway)

DMF, Peaking Yellow/Low
    I don't change shooting mode enough to assign a button for it, when I need it, I dive in the menu.
    In Setup menu, "Menu Start": Previous; Leave the Setup menu at: Format.

5. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Wow I did not know that I can change the keys in my nex-f3... I have to read the manual again I guess

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    ^^The 1st and most important thing one should do when buying a new camera/system IMHO :D 

7. Martytoof

Martytoof TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 23, 2013
    Thanks for the input everyone :) 

Just ordered an Industar 69 and adapter and can't wait to try this baby out!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.