New NEX-5N user: Curious how you MFers set up your buttons.

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Martytoof, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Martytoof

Martytoof TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 23, 2013
    .... that's Manual Focusers, in case you were wondering ;)

I just switched from a Nikon D200 to a NEX-5N. I'm a casual street shooter and quite frankly while the D200 is still really capable for an old camera, I found that the weight and size just made me not enjoy taking it out on the street anymore.

I'm going to be adapting a number of M39 lenses to the NEX so with that:

The first thing I noticed when I fired up the 5N is that the menu system is abysmal. I basically want to spend as little time looking at the menus as possible, so I'm wondering how other users of predominately adapted manual focus lenses have their software-buttons and 4 way dial set up..

2. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    No experience with the 5n, but on my NEX-7 with legacy glass, the custom-assigned button I use the very most is for MF Assist. I assign the AF/MF button on the 7 to that - I don't know if there is a comparable button on the 5n, but I would advise to find something handy that can be assigned to MF Assist, work that in to your shoot flow, then configure the other controls as needed.

3. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Unfortunately there's no extra Fn button on the 5N... :(
    My way of setup:
    4-Way right: Shooting Modes
    4-way middle button: Custom = ISO, WB, Focus Mode (Flexible, etc.), Altering Mode (Multi, etc.), HRO
    Softkey B: AEL lock

Focus is always set to: DMF
    Peaking always on: yellow, middle

4. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Right Button: ISO (the one I change most often, since I don't use AutoISO, it's also the ISO button position on NEX 6);
    Center Button: Custom
    Metering Mode (Multi, Center, Spot), WB, Focus Mode (AF, DMF, MF), Auto Focus Area (Center, Flexible Spot, Multi)
    Bottom Button: Moving the focal point (only applies to AF, in MF it's MF assist anyway)

DMF, Peaking Yellow/Low
    I don't change shooting mode enough to assign a button for it, when I need it, I dive in the menu.
    In Setup menu, "Menu Start": Previous; Leave the Setup menu at: Format.

5. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Wow I did not know that I can change the keys in my nex-f3... I have to read the manual again I guess

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    ^^The 1st and most important thing one should do when buying a new camera/system IMHO :D

7. Martytoof

Martytoof TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 23, 2013
    Thanks for the input everyone :)

Just ordered an Industar 69 and adapter and can't wait to try this baby out!