1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New NEX 3 to be announced in 4 hours.

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by lenshoarder, Jan 6, 2014.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  2. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    Nailed it. The A5000 with the 20MP sensor. Looks like 20MP is the new baseline for the "NEX" cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/0...ource=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_0

From Engadget.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/06/sony-alpha-5000/

I think this seals it for me. The A3000 will be my next "NEX", not the NEX 7 since 20MP will be the most common resolution.

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Glad to know the original NEX form will continue.

Descent price/features.

4. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    This new A5000 looks nice. But... I'm not sure an MSRP of US$600 is that great for what amounts to a revised NEX-3N with WiFi and NFC brought in from the 5-series and the A3000's sensor. The 3N debuted at $100 less as I recall.

Of course, if the 3N and A3000 are any indication, I'm sure this A5000 will get discounted to $550 and then $500 soon after launch. I ought to know, I grabbed the A3000 shortly after launch and BEFORE the discounts. ;)

5. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    Looks like the A5000 also has the A7/A7r processing chip and menu system which should mean better performance. Also has the capability to use apps.

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    There seems to no way to hook external flash or evf.

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I always thought they would have kept the DSLR-like body for the Axxxx series...

A5000 is a Nex-style body, A3000 is a DLSR-like body...confusing IMO

8. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    And with this being more like the NEX-3N than the NEX-5T, it seems there's little separation between the A3000 and the A5000 besides the form factor (well, there's WiFi, NFC, and HDMI). Perhaps they're trying to label the entry-level models with 4-digits and the higher end models with just 1 digit. Which is sort of like... what Nikon does... sort of.

9. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
  10. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
  11. raay

raay TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    The New A5000 is a halfassed camera ,they have removed the accessory port for no reason, still no ir reciever for IR remote!! this is a far more downgraded camera than the nex 3 , atleast one can use a additional flash wih the help of hotshoe adapters!!!i think this wil be the baseline NEX ,but sony made a blunder with the naming again!!! And i am more interested in the menu system!!!! Have they changed it or kept the same dumbdown menu!!

12. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Furthermore the name is very confusing...

Nex-3 used to be the base model for the Nex-series, with the designation number #3 indicating the base model and Nex-5 the entry-level model with the designation number #5 indicating this.

Later on they used A3000 as the base model (again used the #3 to indicate the base model).

Now, they announce an A5000 as a Nex-3 replacement but using the designation number #5 :confused:

With that logic what name will they give for the Nex-5/entry level replacement???

13. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Probably A50.

Logic may be this AXXX is entry level
    AXX enthusiast
    AX pro

Not a very good naming system, I think. The real question is what Nex 7 successor is going to be called (A70?).

• Like Like x 1
  14. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Never thought of it like that - makes some sense

15. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    It may have the new remote connector in the micro USB port. Besides WIFI can be used to remotely fire the shutter.

It seems that Sony is dropping the accessory port. Too bad. I can live without remote but I need the flash. I don't need WIFI or NFC.

16. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Well, the NEX-3N didn't have an accessory port or hot shoe either. So I wouldn't say this is a downgrade from the 3N. In fact, it adds WiFi and NFC (and the associated apps), so it is a minor upgrade.

While it supposedly has the new Bionz X processor like the A7 and RX10, since it appears to not be much faster in continuous shooting or video, I suspect it is down-clocked from whatever the A7 runs at. Bionz X is likely more of a marketing term than anything else.

17. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    I would say more software limited than downclocked. I seriously doubt the guts of the 3 or 5 have every been much different. The differences were all in the firmware. Many electronics from flash drives, to CPUs to graphics cards have been the same way for years. It's much cheaper to make the same thing and then disable features to reach marketing goals and price points. In the old days you could turn a 2 core CPU into a 4 core with a pencil. I've been running one for years.

18. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    The A3000 has a (crappy) EVF and a hot shoe. A5000 has no way to attach an EVF or an external flash, but it does have a rangefinder styled body and a better processor. Looks like Sony just throws sh@t at the wall to see what sticks.

I am truly puzzled by the lack of hotshoe. With it, this would be a logical step up from A3000 - kind of like Nex 3 to Nex 5. Without it, makes no sense why they have two systems in that particular configuration. I personally don't want a camera with no EVF, but I'd be the first to admit that it can still be used for serious photography. But the built in GN6 flash with 1/160 sync speed is not suitable for serious photography, good for most occasions but there inevitably will be situations where it just won't cut it. So in some ways A3000 is more of a serious camera than A5000, all because of a $10 hotshoe Sony decided to omit ? Makes no sense.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

19. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, my toughs exactly. I can live without EVF but not without flash and I am not particularly interested in in camera flash (while I use a external flash with diffuser or bounce card attached with a rail in a pinch). For me the perfect solution would be wireless TTL build in the camera (or just a trigger for me).

May be it makes marketing sense. There are two poor choices for me (A3000 because of bad EVF&LCD, A5000 because of no hot shoe), two reasonable choices (Nex 6 & 7) and two expensive choices (A7&A7R). I think that I am going to see A3000 for another time (body 200 Euro from Germany right now) and see if I could live with it. There is Nex 6 for 600 Euro available too but I don't have that much money right now.

20. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    As everyone else I am a bit confused upon looking at this in detail today.

First off, I am glad and relieved that Sony is continuing the NEX body style, despite rumors to the contrary.

Sony calls it the basic model, replacing the NEX-3, but price it in the territory of the NEX-5??

It has some great advances, new sensor, great screen. It has some backwards steps, no touchscreen, EVF, etc.

Still confused with the mix of features/option/price. Not sure what to think, but as I said, I am just glad the form is continuing.