New Member to Forum, New Camera - Nex 5-N, Pictures from Japan, please be nice!

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Fraggles, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Fraggles

Fraggles New to TalkEmount

Apr 13, 2012
    Hi guys, i am a new member on the forum. I just got a Sony Nex 5-N. I live in Japan and these are my first pictures with my new camera. I am a newbie to photography so most of these are with the basic automatic settings. Really loving my new camera so far! (Previous camera was just a simply Lumix point and click camera) Any comments or tips would be appreciated :)

DSC00043.JPG

DSC00087.JPG

DSC00027.JPG

DSC00184.JPG

DSC00029.JPG

DSC00251.JPG

DSC00213.JPG
    This last picture was done in miniature mode.

All pics used the standard kit zoom lens. Not tried the pancake lens yet. When should i use that?

Thanks for looking :)

Fraggles

2. lapdog99

lapdog99 TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Colorado
    Ohio gazaimas (english guess spelling learned in Naiba, 1970, while skiiing). Loved 3,4, and 5. Nothing wrong with IA mode and you can also take shots in aperture or manual and compare settings, impact on DOF, etc. Composition often trumps other factors. Welcome.

3. tdekany

tdekany TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Portland OR
    Lovely pictures!

4. hodad66

hodad66 Sony Guru

Feb 8, 2012
    Indialantic, Fl
    John
    very nice shots! Welcome....

5. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Welcome Fraggles-san!

All I can say is that you have a natural grasp of composition and a good eye for detail.
    All your photos are very very good. My favourite is the train pic.

-

When to use the 16mm Pancake lens

Other than just being able to take photos of more people in a large group shot, the 16mm pancake is invaluable for taking interior architectural shots in small confined spaces.

But the 16mm pancake is also extremely useful when used for 'creative compositions.'

The 16mm pancake lens has two advantages... it has an ultra-wide field of view, and at the same time it has tremendous 'depth-of-field' or 'depth-of-focus' (DOF) when stopped-down to small aperture settings. When stopped-down to f22, the 16mm pancake lens will be in-focus from a few centimeters in front of you all the way to the horizon (infinity) - while capturing a wide background. This combination will create an exaggerated sense of perspective.

For example if I wanted to take a series of photos where "Toes" or "Feet" is the subject, the 16mm is capable of producing a perspective that is not possible with standard or telephoto lenses.

Toes.

You can also use this exaggerated perspective to present a common object like the guitar below, in a fresh new way.

Guitar.

The creative possibilities from the 16mm Pancake perspective is it's greatest strength.

6. Fraggles

Fraggles New to TalkEmount

Apr 13, 2012
    Thanks for the comments :)

Nice explanation Dioptrick, i will screw on the pancake lens and give it a try tomorrow :)

7. jebuskrust

jebuskrust TalkEmount Regular

Sep 16, 2011
    Limassol, Cyprus
    Just like Fraggles said, practice, practice, practice. Give it a spin and check all the settings on the manual :)
    But most important, stay tuned on TalkNex and come back with more.

We all us here are full of good advices :p

8. elandel

elandel TalkEmount Regular

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Very good shots.

9. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Hi and welcome Fraggles, like Dioptrick said you have a natural grasp of composition. I too like the train pic, and also the okonomiyaki (I guess its because I love okonomiyaki :eek:)
    As for the 16mm pancake, I would try using it for taking the photos of the Ema, it will give you a wider perspective. Now would be a perfect time to take photos as the Sakura is in full bloom and it wont last long, better take lots of images :D