New Lens Turbo Mark II with square rear end

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by raay, Jun 19, 2014.

1. raay

raay TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    Hello ,friends
    Mitakon has released Lens turbo Mark II few months back , i have seen a few samples posted on DPR which seem promising , there is also a Danish fellow who tested it with EOS , so my question is does anyone in this forum have already got the Mark II lens turbo, if yes please post some photos taken with this lens turbo. .
    I am sharing few links about the new "BETTER" Turbo ...

The Lensturbo II---
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/231250452658?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

corner sharpnness test vs old turbo ---http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53774708

Review--
    http://kameravalg.dk/lens-turbo-ii/

• Like Like x 1
  2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I am interested too. Especially results with Contax CY mount lenses interest me greatly. I am planning to get Contax 28mm/2.8 lens after vacation and it would make a good combo with it.

3. mingus2112

mingus2112 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    It's like you read my mind. I've actually been scouring the web for info as well. It doesn't do much good having a thousand threads about the same thing so I was searching a lot first. Didn't find any more than you did, so it looks like you beat me to starting THE thread! I have VERY mixed feelings about using a focal reducer. Good glass or terrible glass, I have a hard time believing it's OK to add extra optics to my old lenses. The fact remains that sometimes you just want that full frame feel to take advantage of wider lenses! The Metabones is just always out of my price range - since I wouldn't use it all the time. The Lens Turbo, though, is just on the outskirts! Tests i've seen with the second version have said/shown that it's sharper on the edges than the original. That's great. I'd also LOVE to see a real comparison with no glass/LensTurbo II/Metabones all on the same lens/camera. Maybe through the original LensTurbo in for good measure. Anyone have anything like that?

The only negative i've seen about the LT II is hearsay. I read someone say that they "heard the LT II has infinity focus problems on a Canon 50mm lens" and that he has the "original" LensTurbo and does not have that problem. I haven't read anything about that first hand, though.

My only adapted lenses are minolta mount, so that's where my interest would be!

-J

4. raay

raay TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    thanks for your thoughts , you nailed it ,iam searching the net for any good review but currently not much is available , though from what little i have seen its better than LT mark I , but i would wait a bit more before making a purchase!! and buying metabones is out of queston. So if it properly fans out than LT II is a sureshot buy,
    Another Thread from Pentax forums ----
    http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/...65-lens-turbo-ii-pk-nex-first-impression.html

5. jcdoss

jcdoss TalkEmount Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    I've actually got both versions of the Lens Turbo.

Physically, I like version 1 better. LT2 doesn't attach to the camera like a standard lens. The lens mounts straight on, and then you twist a ring on the back of the adapter to the LOCK position. I can only surmise this is because the square baffle on the back of the adapter fits straight into the housing of the camera's sensor for a tighter fit. This isn't a big deal if you mount it and leave it there, but if you're swapping adapters a lot, then this might be an issue.

I was fiddling with it yesterday, and I also don't particularly like the placement of the trigger for detaching a mounted lens. It seems bigger than LT1, and gets in the way of my medium to small-ish hands as I grip the camera.

I just received mine this week, and haven't had a chance to use it. Hopefully, I can get out this weekend and get some shots with both adapters. Mine is Pentax-K mount, and I'll use it with a group of smc-K and smc-M manual focus lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mingus2112

Jun 16, 2014
    Even the version 1 pics in that thread aren't AWFUL. If version 1 was around $50, i'd pick one up. My ultimate goal here is to have something for my wider lenses that I can use in places like museums. I like the idea of not only using the lens as wide as it was intended, but actually getting a little extra light push. My widest is a 28mm 2.8, which is longer than the kit zoom the NEX came with (16-50...16mm on 1.5 crop is still 24mm and wider than my 28mm on full frame), but what fun is using the kit zoom? I really only bought this to use my Minolta lenses and have a bit of fun!

7. mingus2112

Jun 16, 2014
    AWESOME!

I see where you're coming from on this. I am more than willing to accept the different camera side mount as I think it makes the adapter smaller overall, no? I assume that's why they made it stick into the camera that far. That's a plus for me!

Again, I see how that would be a pita, but I either have time to change lenses or I don't. I'm rarely in a situation where I'm pressed for time and have to change lenses. In those situations, you'll find me with a zoom - and probably without the turbo. My zooms are all 30+ years old and don't need extra glass smearing them more! ;)

REALLY looking forward to this comparison! It would be great to see some shots of things like grass (lots of detail) stopped down all the way so there's a huge DOF. This way we can compare the corners to the center. Where did you buy yours from and how long did you wait to receive it?

-James

8. raay

raay TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    What ?? Still No samples???

9. jcdoss

Jul 6, 2013
    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk...

I've taken this photo down because it looks downright poor. Either the phone or the Tapatalk software compressed the 6-7MB file to 128kb. The original file actually has a fair amount of detail. I'll upload a couple when get a chance to review some photos on my computer.

10. mingus2112

Jun 16, 2014
    Is that with the Original or the Lens Turbo II?

11. jcdoss

Jul 6, 2013
    Mark 2

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

12. jcdoss

Jul 6, 2013
    OK, here it is again. This time, it's the full-res, SOOC jpeg which seems to have good detail at the margins. Sharpening was set to +3.
    This is with Mark 2 and a Pentax SMC-M 28mm f/3.5 at either f/8 or f/11... likely the latter.

NEX-2047 by jasoncdoss, on Flickr

13. raay

raay TalkEmount Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    Great sample that too with a wide angle lens!!!! please post more!!! have to buy tis turbo mark II , promising corners!!

14. jcdoss

Jul 6, 2013
    OK. This one is processed to some extent, including sharpening and contrast enhancement. This is a horizontal crop from the bottom, so the top corners are the original corners, but the bottom 1/4 of the image is cropped away. Same lens, I think at f/8.

NEX-2019.jpg by jasoncdoss, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  15. mingus2112

Jun 16, 2014
    Mine came in the mail tonight and (pending the weather tomorrow) I'll put it through its paces tomorrow. Any requests for specific tests? I'll try to accommodate as best as I can. I got the minolta version and can use any of the lenses in my signature plus the 100mm 2.5 that I just got!

-James

16. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I will be testing mine too so I was wondering when testing with and without the lens turbo, should we try to move the camera to keep the closest matching perspective possible?

17. jcdoss

Jul 6, 2013
    Why test it? Just go shoot.

18. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Why comment? Just go shoot...

19. jcdoss

Jul 6, 2013
    I can't wait to see what you come up with.

20. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    This is Talkemount.com NOT dpreview.com btw....