New lens for my NEX 5R

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Arno, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Arno

Arno New to TalkEmount

Oct 1, 2013
    Got the Sony NEX5R camera with the standard 18-55mm lens.. Brilliant camera, but it do lack a bit of zoom power

Was looking at the 55-210mm and 18-200mm lens.. Big price difference between the 2.. So initial thoughts was to get the 55-210

In the end, I figured that the 18-200 lens will be more 'convenient', in the sense that I dont have to swap lenses when I want to take a close up picture, and the extra 10mm diff on full zoom should not make such a huge difference, should it?

Got the 18-200 today online, so waiting for it to arrive, to start play around with it

Any thoughts / comments / tips on this lens ??
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Congrats on the new lens. :)

Not much difference between 200 and 210mm. Weight-wise the 18-55 + 55-210 is about the same weight as the 18-200 so that's pretty much a wash. The 18-200 (either one) will focus closer than the 55-210 does so that's a plus. I've never used the 18-200, so I can't comment on the handling properties, but the images I've seen look pretty good.

Enjoy your new lens when it arrives. ;)
  3. lowincash

lowincash TalkEmount Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    You get the Tamron or Sony 18-200? The Tamron one is smaller in size compared to the Sony. But yeah you shouldn't notice much difference between 200 and 210mm. Enjoy the lens :D

I got the Tamron 18-200mm lens when I had the nex7 a couple years back, I thought I would use that lens a lot for the convenience but I hardly used it unless it was outdoors. Using this lens indoors was pretty slow. Ended up selling it. I did get the 55-210mm lens when I got the NEX-6. Bought it used from B&H and worked great. Again, I didn't use this lens that much and ended up selling it. For me these long zoom lenses don't get used too often =/ I think more of a prime guy lol
  4. Arno

Arno New to TalkEmount

Oct 1, 2013
    I got the Sony SEL18200 lens

We tend to go on safaris at least once a year, and really need the extra zoom power

Funny thing is, I'm starting to get second thoughts re the lens, should I rather have gone for the SEL55210... Well, lets see when it arrives
  5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Both should be good for what you're wanting them for. Such lenses have their limitations ;)
  6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    I would suggest trying them out before going on your trip.

Nothing worse than trying new equipment in the field and missing things along the way.
  7. kjbalgos

kjbalgos New to TalkEmount

Jan 26, 2014
    The 200 vs 210 is not a factor here. The big difference is the 18 vs 55. SEL18200 can take photos at nearer subject compare to SEL55210. I have SEL55210 and I can't use it during indoor occasions.