1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New Lens - E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by mrlrz, Jan 5, 2018.

1. mrlrz

mrlrz TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 4, 2015
    I see $598 at B&H that's competitive. Since I already have the 16-70 I won't be buying this though.

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Not sure on this one, might be a worthy replacement for my 28-70mm if the optics turn out to be good.

But the most exciting news is that Sony actually made a NEW APS-C LENS!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 7
  4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    This is an unexpected and welcomed surprise. Perhaps not the lens APS-C shooters are desiring, but a good sign none the less. I've posted that I didn't believe Sony would be investing in new APS-C releases and stay focused on Full-frame. The zoom is a good one-lens travel solution due to the focal range. ~28-210mm FOV. It looks very small too.
    With OSS, it's aimed at the a5xxx, a6000/a6300 buyers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    I think it might be the ideal lens for my Nex-7 since it has OSS and isn't GIANT in size either.

6. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    With 2 ED elements and 1 aspherical element, the imaging should be very good. Looking forward to review pics from it. Might convince me to replace my 18-55 and 55-210 kit lenses for this single zoom if it lives up to its claims.

7. Golfhacker27

Golfhacker27 TalkEmount Regular

May 15, 2016
    Always nice to see any new glass from Sony, especially at a good price.
    Remains to be seen if it actually delivers compelling IQ benefits vs the existing 18-105 and 18-200 options. (I have the Tamron 18-200 on my a6000).
    Would be nice to see Sony break lower than the 18mm mark on the APS-C.
    Would also be nice to see them hit a similar price mark for a FF zoom in the equivalent range (but maybe I’m just dreaming, cos’ the FE 24-70 and 24-105 are beyond my budget).

8. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    You have the 10-18mm lens, which I found excellent.
    And the 16-70mm, which I have read is quite good.
    And the 16mm pancake which was widely panned, though I never had it.

Not inexpensive, but there are Sony sub-18mm options.

9. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Looks pretty interesting but I wouldn't want to go through x copies to find one that's halfway decently centered throughout the zoom range.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Personally, while any new lens is welcomed (especially for the apsc line up which was somehow neglected), I really don’t understand why Sony decided to introduce this lens :confused-69:

For me its pointless. You already have the excellent 18-105 which is a a constant aperture lens etc. There are more significant gaps in the apsc lens line up that Sony should fill before this lens...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I think the new zoom can garner criticism at Sony for not releasing a lens the enthusiasts are asking for. But the kit zooms have also gathered bad reps. I think this one may be a move to 'replace' the 16-50 and 18-55. And possibly even the 18-105 G. That's probably why it's not constant aperture like the 18-105. Also, not a lot of people care for the power zoom, and size penalty. Video shooters definitely can't stand power zoom. Being equipped with OSS, it's focused on non IBIS body owners. Not a6500 owners, where the 'kit' lens is the 16-70 Zeiss.
    I can't see nor understand why Sony would maintain production and inventory on low desirability lenses, ie. 16 and 20mm pancakes. Knock off the low sales models and free up production for a more versatile zoom. The 16-50 will likely stay to provide a small, cheap kit lens. While 10-18 and 18-135 covers the weekend enthusiast with better image quality. I wonder if the 55-210mm will continue. Since it was part of a 18-55 and 55-210 combo. And the 18-55 was dropped a while ago.
    It's cheap and competent, but not great, IMHO. I think it's weak at 210. Below that and it returns more keepers.

I am curious what are the gaps that exist within the Sony APS-C line currently.
    10-18mm f/4
    16mm f/2.8 pancake
    16-50mm kit zoom
    16-70mm f/4 Zony
    18-55mm kit zoom
    18-105mm f/4 G
    18-200mm
    20mm f/2.8 pancake
    24mm f/1.8 Zony
    FE 28mm f/2*
    30mm Macro
    35mm f/1.8
    50mm f/1.8
    55-210mm zoom
    Focal length wise, seems pretty covered.
    Perhaps a long zoom like a 100-300mm f/5.6?

Faster f/2.8 versions aren't going to happen, given the extra size, and FE equivalents available. The real desire is affordable APS-C lenses, which is a more accurate gap.
    * Due to its small size and relative price.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Neither can I but maybe their idea of the average customer of the ex-NEX and now Axy... range might be someone who's not overly concerned with centering issues, mushy corners and the like ... someone like the proverbial soccer mom.
    Why invest serious resources into tighter QC when not too many customers notice any of those issues in the first place?

• Like Like x 1
  13. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    @WNG@WNG ”video shooters can’t stand power zoom”? I thought the power zoom feature for exclusively handy for video shooters for smooth zoom function while in video recording :confused-69: The 18-105 f4 that many consider a video lens also has a power zoom option on the body of the lens...

How about a fast 2.8 kit lens? A 16/18 - 50/70 mm f2.8? If Fuji can have it, sure Sony can, no?
    How about fast (f/1.4) primes?
    An f/4 70-200 equivalent at least (50-140)?
    There are so many...

14. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 4, 2015
    <<How about a fast 2.8 kit lens? A 16/18 - 50/70 mm f2.8? If Fuji can have it, sure Sony can, no?>>

I once owned both the Fuji 16-55/2.8 and the 50-140/2.8 lenses (on a XT1 body). Both lenses are too large and heavy for normal use IMO. I think this would be even more the case with the smaller Axxx bodies (compared with the Fuji XT series).

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I am probably not their target market (and have an A7ii now), but I like primes. From that perspective, they kind of trail off and stop at 50mm and below 24mm the primes are kind of weak. How about an 85 or 90? Or in zooms, the 210 is I think unfairly panned and OK, but how about something higher quality, and maybe to 400+. Or maybe it is just me and would not sell on Sony APS-C.

Really though Sony is not that much different than the Canikons of the market. They all really, really want you buy a full frame body sooner rather than later.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    Sony has the 85FE 1.8 which would be fine for APSC use. You won’t see anything over 50 that will be an APSC only lens, the size difference would be minimal for a somewhat low volume APSC lens.

Sony could add an under 24mm prime to round out the lineup. But we do have Sigma 16,19 lenses and Rok 12mm as well. Sony 16mm too but it is no better than the kit lenses.

I’d like to see an f2 prime as close to pancake size as possible that is somewhere between 18-27mm. It does not need have OSS to keep the size down.

17. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I'm referring to the jerky response and speed of power zooms. For them to be responsive enough for photography, makes them too rapid for attempting to achieve a cinematic result. I don't have personal experience with the 18-105G, if Sony has cleverly slowed the zoom action when in video mode, that would be neat.
    For photography, I find power zooms a negative except for rare wireless shooting occasions.

You and I would love to see a faster zoom and/or primes. A 16-35 f/2.8, a 19 f/1.4 or 24 f/1.4. But I believe this is against their size and price philosophy for APS-C. Not worth their investment to return. And I doubt they would be deemed affordable.

So, I'm happy to see Sigma picking up the ball with their excellent 30 f/1.4 and 16 f/1.4. Maybe Sigma can be convinced to complete that with a 24 f/1.4 and 57 f/1.4. They seem to be the only company bold enough to do it. IIRC, they did release a f/4 70-200 equivalent for the Canikon APS-C universe.
    Imagine a 50-135mm f/2.8 Art E-mount. I picked up an vintage Minolta MD Rokkor 50-135 constant f/3.5 that I enjoy playing with on occasion. Such a lens would be a bit large.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.