1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New kid in the block

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by alaios, Jan 11, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Dear all,
    I am new, I am fresh I am newbie.

I just bought a nex.f3 as I liked the image quality and this camera was my upper limit price and budget for a camera.
    I need your help/advice what are the accessories I need for my camera. Please comment also on which of the following I might accept as second handed products to reduce the cost. Please keep in mind that the camera has not arrived yet (ordered). I want to start looking on ebays for the things I might need in the future so to see if I can bid.

So what I need at the very beginning and what later on? I have few pieces in mind but I would like to see first the real users to suggest (please include any product code you might have, as it would be easier to google the specific model)

Regards
    Alex

2. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    It might not be first on your list, but I'd get a good 50mm legacy prime with adapter to learn the joys of manual focusing.

3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Well. the default lense does not allow mannual focusing? Can you give me more details. Few models that will work with my camera?

4. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Alex,

You can manual focus with the kit lens but it doesn't have an aperture ring. Aperture is controlled from the camera body. Using legacy lenses on the NEX is a rare treat (if you like using manual focus). It's very old school. The NEX just seems to be particularly well suited to it. OTOH, if you're looking for native lenses then I would suggest the Sigma 30/2.8. It's compact, cheap and has excellent image quality.

As to what legacy lenses...the process is pretty simple. First you need an adapter to adapt the threads form the NEX to whatever legacy mount you like (Konica, Minolta, Pentax, Nikon, Canon FD...whatever). They can be found on eBay for around $25 form a variety of vendors. I myself like the ones sold by rainbowimaging. As to what brand of legacy lenses...that's really up to you. It'd hard to go wrong with them. They are relatively cheap (my Minolta 50/1.7 cost me all of $20) and plentiful. If you are starting off i would suggest looking at fast 50mm legacy lenses (50/1.7, 50/1.8 etc.) from Olympus, Minolta, Konica, Canon FD, and Pentax K to start off. Search this site and there are tons of threads talking about our various experiences doing just that (with tons of sample images).

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    First on your list needs to be a spare battery. Maybe two, depending on how long your photo outings tend to be.

6. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Don't forget you will need a couple Class 10 SD Cards I would stick to 2 smaller cards over 1 big one just in case you have a card failure at least you have a second card to continue shooting with. Say 2x 8gb class 10 cards to start with. Spare Battery is a must if you use the flash or the optional evf the battery's go flat fairly quickly. Another good option would be a decent book/instruction manual especially if you are new to all of this David Busch dose a good one on the nex f3. The list goes on an on unfortunately a quality semi hard screen protector is a good idea a bag to keep it all in and a uv filter to protect the glass is very common.

7. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    The Sony semi-hard LCD protector is a good investment. It protects the screen like a hard shell protector is pretty much invisible and the touch screen still works.

I would also suggest a good wrist strap. I think that smaller cameras like the NEX are much easier to handle with a wrist strap. I like Gordy straps.

8. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Hello and welcome, alaios! :)

All good suggestions so far. How much money you've got left?? lol

9. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    that's a good question

10. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    welcome friend, hope you can find an other home in this forum , here we have great photographers, so they can share all about your NEX camera, no matter if is a F3, N, R, 6 or 7, they share something very similar, and care with manual focus, you can get to addict to a legacy glass.

11. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks a lot all for your answers. I will try to answer to you one by one. This is indeed a very useful post for me. I also put numbers so anyone can reply

1) To dixeyk: Could you please give me a link to amazon to order it today? I guess that is the first think to buy (nex-f3 does not have touch screen). I wonder though if that might deteriorate the image brightness

2) To Simsy: Thanks for the tip. Why Class 10 SD cards. Is that the faster card out there? I want to capture both raw and jpeg at very fast speed. How many photos can fit into your card at your settings?

3) To Bimjo: Are there any battery-alternatives with higher capacity?

4) To dixeyk: Apperture ring? I need to read here :p. If it is so easy to get adapters+lenses what is the reason to but those LA1, LA2 sony adapters? What I lose If I go for a simple adapter for a legacy focus?

5) I was also using this stuff on flash that makes it less hard, that eye viewfinder but is expensive and the external microphone. I will look those on ebay.

Regards
    Alex

12. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Class 10 SD cards are the fastest available personally I use 16gb cards because that's what I have plenty of because I also have 2 DSLR cameras. Going by your posts I was assuming that your on a budget so I suggested 2x 8gbs. On my 16Gb card I get just over 920 shots in RAW mode and its around 2500 shots in Jpeg So you can see that 8gbs is plenty even with 2 battery's you would be unlikely to shoot enough to fill them b4 the battery's went flat.

Their isn't any higher capacity battery s that I know of ,you would be wise to do some research when it comes to 3rd party battery's as many will not work in the Sony camera even if they look the same as a Sony 1.

Their are alternative Screen savers I prefer the hard or semi hard ones myself, have a look on eBay as some on their can be cheaper than the Sony 1's.

The LA1 Adapter allows you to use Sony A mount lenses with auto focus, the LA2 adapter basically turns your camera into a SLT it has a built in Translucent Mirror this allows for the faster phase detection A/F on A mount lenses yes it expensive but it has its advantages especially if you already own a number of A mount lenses.

The cheaper adapters allow for the use of non Sony lenses and in manual mode only, I believe that these lenses also need to have on lens fStop adjustment I'm sure somebody else would know moor about that though.

The EVF Electronic View Finder is expensive but I love mine they are defiantly worth the money if you are used to using a DSLR.

13. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks for the answers :).

I am also thinking for LA2 as my wife wants to use the camera with everything in auto, so no manual focusing. Do you have any compact A sony lense in mind that I can afford, with a bit of zoom and compact nature?

The emount 16mm is not a bid wide for picture moments and portraits?
    Alex

14. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Do you already own a Sony DSLR and a number of lenses otherwise its not worth getting a LA2. Sony a mount Glass isn't cheap its also not small or light, however the G class and ziess lenses are fantastic but like I said very expensive. I guess if you want a small auto zoom then the 16-50 is about the best. Sony E 16-50mm Black SELP1650 for NEX Mirrorless Camera A4222 | eBay what lenses came with your camera?

15. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Just to give my must-buy list:
    1. Second battery (choose original Sony one, even if a bit expensive! Tried 2 fakes bought in shops and returned both because they didn't work!)
    2. Screen protector (also choose one from Sony, they're easy to apply and quality is great)
    3. Prime lens: Sigma 30mm 2.8 (great value for money)
    4. Good bag with inbuilt weather cover e.g. LowePro Apex or Slingshot (but chose size wisely depending on how much space you'll need)

Choosing lenses means to know what your main pictures will be about...
    Landscape, portraits, wide-angle,...

I would not go for the Sony adapter, cause when you want all auto and auto focus just choose an original E-mount Nex lens like the 16-55.
    When going for a legacy lens as mentioned before wisely think about the type of mount cause you'll need an adapter for every mount you adapt (Minolta, Leica, etc.)
    Good choice from my point of view: Minolta Rokkor 50mm 1.4 or 1.7 with SR (or often called MD) mount
    And keep in mind that adapting lenses with adapter always will bring up size and weight of your Nex dramatically!

16. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    My camera came with the
    SEL1855 | 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Standard Zoom Lens | Sony | Sony Store USA

I was thinking to buy indeed the retractable 16-55 but I can not afford it. The only way for buying is to sell on ebay the default lense I got with the camera and then try to get the retractable one.

The reason for a small size lense is to have the camera working also as a very portable one. That is very important for wife (That she also needs auto focus==all in auto mode).

I also considered the 16mm compact of sony that has a reasonable price but unfortunately I find it too wide for family moments, portraits, kids actions in house, outdoor setting. Something like 30-40 would be more suitable I think but then the cost again is raised up.

I also find the nex e-mounts way expensive as lenses, so there was also in my mind the get the LA2 or LA1 at ebay and then migrate to a series of lenses that are more cheap. If I keep spending money, in the future in the e series I think I will spend way more than spending that for a series where auto focus can also work.

Thanks for sharing. Waiting for more feedback

17. Orange

Orange TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Hi.
    Have you though about the Sigma 19mm and 30mm. You could sell your 18-55mm to fund both lenses. Not sure where you are from, but here in the UK you can get both lenses for around £99 each on eBay/online! Then you have all auto-options AND small size for your wife. No zoom, but after reading all your threads/posts, it seems you will have to compromise SOMEWHERE to get what you want for your budget!

18. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Maybe right but the great quality lenses to adapt are expensive too, even or especially on the bay! And you have to make sure that used lenses you buy are without any issues like scratches or fungus!

19. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Yes, I think this is an idea worth considering...

20. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Welcome to the NEX world and the F3 in particular.