1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New IR-Converted a6000

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by slothead, Apr 3, 2016.

1. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I got my a6000IR back last week and have had only a few opportunities to test its newfound characteristics. This is my third IR camera, the first being a 720nm filter, the second a 665nm and now this one which is a 590nm (I think) and a "Super Color" version from LifePixel. The Super Color is touted to have more variability, but I'm not quite there yet. Here a couple of images from yesterday's outing.

This first one is "Channel-swapped" and has the red channel backed off slightly:

DSC00013a1.

This version is also "Channel-swapped" but has another set of color tweaks (looking for a good mix) but ended up looking a little too much like the original view (albeit perhaps in a different season):

DSC00013a3.

Finally here is a conversion of the same image to B&W:

DSC00013a3abw.

--- edit ---
    I forgot to mention that this was taken with the Canon FD 15mm Fisheye. I haven't learned to focus it as well as I would like (I've gotten a few sharp images from it when I've accidentally focused it right). It was stopped down fairly small at f/11 or smaller (f/16, f/22).

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Good going!
    Personal choice, I like #2's colors and white clouds better than #1...and the mono is good as well.
    I've found IR to be an interesting chapter to explore...

3. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Thanks Bill,
    I had a hard time increasing the contrast in the sky (making the clouds brighter) without messing with the rest of the image.

Did you do any of the one-on-one's with LifePixel or any of the other aftermarket support that they offered?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  4. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    No, sure don't...just experimenting along my own learning curve...the beauty of digital being no film costs, LOL.
    Biggest challenge for the past few winter months has been finding good IR subjects to try...ie: while shorelines of pine trees have green needles, their green doesn't reflect as well in IR and end up an off-white / tan color...which (IMO) is OK in their own right but the 'white' from true green leaves in an image seem to offer more opportunities.
    Photo-ops in general should start picking up around here now with green leaves starting to emerge.

5. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    My two other IR conversions were done by another company (that doesn't seem to offer quite as much customer support as does LifePixel, so I may take advantage of their offers.