1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New here - picked up the 3N

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by ecaggiani, Jun 19, 2013.

1. ecaggiani

ecaggiani TalkEmount Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    Hi all,

My 3N is being delivered today and I can't wait to dive in. I know it's on the lower end of the NEX series but the price was right for me plus I really love the small form factor. Eventually I plan to purchase the LA-EA2 to be able to use my wife's DSLR lenses but for now I will stick with the kit lens.

In September we are traveling to Peru which was the excuse I needed to pull the trigger on this camera. I hope to get some good pictures at Machu Picchu.

Any tips or tricks for getting the most out of my 3N? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Welcome and congrats ;)

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Welcome to the forum and the NEX. :)

Tips and tricks? Shoot. Lots. Experiment. Keep what works, discard that which doesn't. Have fun. ;)

4. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Hey, I am also going to Peru, though I am going a bit earlier than you are (end of July).

I will be doing the Inca Trail trek to Machu Picchu, so I have been thinking about what lenses I want to take with me. With the altitude, and the fact I have to carry everything on my back, I am going to have to be selective.

I think I will probably take my Minolta MD Rokkor 35mm f2.8 (49mm thread version), because I love it and it is very compact and not too heavy. I like 35mm on a NEX (50mm equilavent) for shooting mountainous landscapes, because a true wide angle tends to make mountains smaller and less impressive than real life. I have some examples I took in Chile if you are interested:

DSC03649 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

DSC03043 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

DSC03050 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I really like that lens, though I guess you could get similar shots with the kit. I will probably take a 50mm rokkor too, though but I do find “portraits of poor people” cliché a bit creepy.

My advice would be, if you want to go down a manual focus & adapter route (like a lot of people here do) get a bunch of practice with a lens like that 35mm, or a <a href=”https://www.talkemount.com/f12/definitely-love-canon-fd-24mm-f2-8-a-3650/> 24mm FD </a> before you leave for your trip.

5. ecaggiani

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    You are braver than I am. We are taking the train up from Cusco... not hiking the Inca Trail in that altitude :)

Thanks for the tips! I have plenty of time before our trip to practice with the 3N and get a good feel for it. I'm not sure if I will actually have any other lenses available by the time we go (depends if I can get the LA-EA2 adapter in time) so hopefully the kit lens will do ok. We'll see!

Nice pics, btw.

6. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Fair enough! The kit is pretty good. If the cost is the problem, keep in mind you can get that 35mm rokkor off ebay, and an adapter for it, for under 80 bucks. You could get a 28mm rokkor for under 50 bucks.

Or... maybe i shouldnt try and encourage people down the rabbit hole of legacy lens on ebay addiction? :confused:

7. ecaggiani

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    Of course now I need to go to ebay and see what my options are ;-)

So I got my 3N this morning at the office and have been playing with it briefly in between meetings at work (shh, don't tell my boss). I am amazed at how small it really is! I am also pretty impressed so far at the IQ I am getting just in my quickie test shots.

Now I need to start learning all about ISO, f-stops, shutter speeds, etc. I actually used to know a bit more about this stuff when I was a teenager (LONG time ago) when I was actually developing my own film in my darkroom. But I never kept up with photography as a hobby and now I feel like I have to learn it all over again. The good thing is that now that it's all digital, things are a bit easier since we get instant results and can take multiple pictures with different settings to get a feel for what the settings do. I have until September to become a pro ;-)

On that note, are there any decent general photography guides out there? Ones that explain all the different settings you can tweak and what they all do? I know I sound like a beginner here, but I learn fast when it comes to gadgets and such. Especially when I am as enthusiastic as I am right now about the subject :)

Thanks!

-Ed

8. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I have F3, and I don't think I could get better image quality of any other Nex. Well, maybe 7, and may be only with most expensive glass. Traded my Canon DSLR for it and never looked back.

Here's what I learned, so far:

- Sony's noise removal algorithm is atrocious. Even at Low setting it kills fine details in low light. You're generally better off shooting RAW, but with Nex, it's 10x better.

- Legacy lenses are absolutely fantastic they save you tons of money and provide unique possibilities to experiment & take great photos. Don't spend too much $$$ on e-mount lenses, especially at first before you absolutely know what you want. The only exception IMHO is the Sigma double lens deal (30/2.8 and 19/2.8) but only if you can still get it for $200 for two. Between these two lenses and the kit lens and a bunch of legacy glass you should be all set for a while.

Have fun !

9. LightCentric

LightCentric TalkEmount Regular

Mar 17, 2013
    Saginaw, MI
    Andy Richards
    Congrats on the Nex purchase. I am a long time Nikon SLR/DSLR user. I have gotten tired of lugging the heavy pro equipment around and bought the NEX 6 with the "kit" 16-50 Sony zoom. Shortly, I bought the Sony-Zeiss 24mm and just took delivery of the Zeiss 32. Expecting delivery of the Sony 50mm f1.8 tomorrow. Am really loving this "back to basics" fixed focal length approach in such a small format. IQ rivals my FF D800 with pro zooms.

On a guide, I cannot recommend more highly Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" for a refresher for old hands and a teaching manual for newbies.

10. ecaggiani

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    Wow, I just read a brief sample and already learned a huge amount! Must buy, thanks for the suggestion!

11. ecaggiani

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    Here are a few of my first shots with my 3N! I'm loving how I can bounce the flash. Worked great in my dark living room where I shot these.

DSC00156. DSC00146. DSC00095.

12. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice shots ;)

16-50 zoom lens? Any PP done?

13. ecaggiani

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    I am using the kit lens 16-50 for now. No PP done on these. Straight from the camera's SD card to my Chromebook :) Right now just shooting in JPG while I learn. When I start taking pics for real, I'll shoot raw so I can tweak them in Lightroom.

14. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    In my opinion, RAW is easier to learn on - it helps you fix screw ups that would be permanent in JPG.

15. ecaggiani

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    Well I first want to get a good feel for the camera on its own. All the photos I am taking now are just throwaway while I learn the basics of the camera. Once I feel comfortable with all the settings, I will start taking photos that I might want to actually keep. That's when I will focus on what I can do with raw.

I guess my feeling is that if I can get a photo as close to perfect as I can within the camera, I won't need as much post processing. That being said, when I am actually in a situation where I plan to keep the photos I am taking (vacation, gathering, event, etc.) I will shoot in raw for sure.

16. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    For me, it's very hard to get perfect photos straight out of camera, for three main reasons.

First, Sony has a very overzealous NR. No way around this unless you use RAW.

Second, each legacy glass I used so far required adjustment. Typically, clarity, vibrancy, defringing, and vignetting. Not easily done in camera.

Third, and it's a biggie, white balance and to the large extend exposure errors can be easily corrected in RAW, but it's very hard and time consuming to correct them in JPG. And often impossible.

I am by no means a LR expert, but I can easily get results I want in LR spending no more than 2-5 min per file. And I expect this time to go down once I learn how to better utilize LR task automation tools.

17. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Be careful with the legacy lens route - it can be quite addictive :D
    Don't say we didn't warn you, lol :p

I'm a beginner myself and here's what helped me learn the basics ;)
    Free Photography Tutorials, Beginners to Advanced

18. ecaggiani

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    All the photos I am taking for now are being deleted and I don't even try to fix them. I am simply learning how to use the camera. On Sunday we have a company picnic, so I plan to switch to raw for that since those pictures I will want to keep and clean up.

Nick, thanks for the link to the tutorials! Looks like a great site where I can learn a lot!