New here Nex 5r or Nex 6

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by ilovenex, Feb 14, 2013.

1. ilovenex

ilovenex TalkEmount Regular

Feb 14, 2013
    Vancouver
    Just taught i would signup to a forum about nex only glad i found one. 2 days ago i purchased nex 5r and i love it. i got paid today i was thinking if i should keep the 5r or exchange for nex 6 for viewfinder. i also love the nex 5r how the screen swivel. is the picture quality better than 5r on nex 6? if its only tthe viewfinder difference i can live with that. please help me

2. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    NEX-6
    *EVF
    *Built in flash
    *non-propitiatory hotshoe
    *Slightly lower noise at higher ISO

NEX-5r
    *Touch screen
    *Screen flips up for self portraits
    *External mic jack
    *Takes 3D pics

Image quality should be the same. IMO, EVF is a pretty huge step up.

3. ilovenex

Feb 14, 2013
    Vancouver
    my 5r came with flash.

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Not built-in though ;)

IMHO, the 6 is a better camera overall

5. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Well then mark that off the list.

6. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Difficult question to answer. I don't think there is any difference in picture quality as the sensor is the same. I've had a 5N for some time and just bought a 6. Can't find any difference in IQ. The 6 has the EVF and a built in flash, oh, and WI-FI, for what its worth. If the EVF is important to you make the swap, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

7. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    +1

8. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    It really depends what you like. They're both highly capable cameras. If you're someone that uses the LCD instead of the EVF and likes touch screen then the 5r is a better match. The NEX 6 is a wee bit more conventional in its controls (I don't say that as a criticism) lose the touch screen but get a mode dial and EVF. I have a 5n and I wouldn't upgrade to a 6 because I don't think the hassle is worth it (I got my 5n cheap) BUT...If I were buying today and didn't already have a NEX I'd get the NEX 6.

9. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I have the 5N and almost exclusively use it with the add-on EVF. But I still can't live without the touchscreen (which honestly isn't great) because of browsing and menu diving (when needed). I really wish Sony had a camera with both... it really can't be that hard to do.

10. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    That's a huge part of why I went with the 6. Coming from a long line of DSLR's, I don't think I could have went so far backwards as the 5 series. I needed to retain some of that DSLR feel and functionality and with the NEX-6, I feel that I am getting that.

11. Hawon

Hawon TalkEmount Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Hawon
    I got NEX-6 first then exchanged to NEX-5r.
    6 definitely felt much better in hands but gets pretty big after attaching eye thing on EVF. I did not care for built in flash and Mode dial wasn't that big of the deal for me either. I usually shoot av or m, it wasn't that necessary.

I got rid off all my DSLR gears to get a camera that's easy to carry, so my priority was finding the smallest and the lightest mirror less so 5r became better option for me.

I wish black 5r had same finish as 6. I would got black 5r than silver if that was the case.

Sent from my Nexus 7

12. ilovenex

Feb 14, 2013
    Vancouver
    so my wife decided to keep the 5r. we took the camera out today and took lots of pictures. i cant even explain her expression how impressed she was with the picture quality. we also ave d90 i dont think she will use the d90 she told me lol and we got it not even a year ago.

13. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I upgraded from the nex5n to nex5F so then later to nex5R, let me say that cameras are really great, good quality, use a high ISO en low light, but if you do not mind using only the LCD (I mean you do not need the EVF), in my case I used the nex7 since I bought it, so I need to shoot on those sunny days,but my wife who uses the nex5R with the kit lens is so happy.

I have also the 7 and so am very fascinated with both , but the nex5r in low light conditions is a step forward.
    I wish to acquire nex6, but I wanted to save money for more legacy lenses, but I'm thinking to keep the nex5r o put for sale¬°¬°