• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

New guy/First FF Camera/Mirrorless Fanboy

chonbhoy

TalkEmount Regular
What size do i upload a photo directly on to the forum? I typed in a few searches but couldn't find a sticky.

Ad Dieleman

Amateur
Just did a test with an almost full-res file, 7794x5199 px. The forum software limits the resolution to 1600px wide for that one. So if you upload 1600px or wider, the viewers get the maximum possible resolution.

chonbhoy

TalkEmount Regular
Here are a few of my first shots with the A7R + FE50mm f1.8. I'm happy with what i got from a candid day out down the Harbour, I stuck to LR for minor tweaks here and there, nothing major and for the last photo of Torrin my dog i used the max ISO 25600 and i tried messing about with the NR in LR and i'm pleased with what i got out of it too. (i haven't a clue how to get the best out of a noisy image) Focusing wide open wasn't easy with focus by wire and magnification when i took the shot of my son hanging off the lamp post and his face is soft but i still like the photo. Overall I'm chuffed at this stage in the game. :)
DSC00002.jpg
ILCE-7R    FE 50mm F1.8    50mm    f/1.8    1/500s    ISO 100
DSC00022.jpg
ILCE-7R    FE 50mm F1.8    50mm    f/1.8    1/6400s    ISO 100
DSC00004.jpg
ILCE-7R    FE 50mm F1.8    50mm    f/1.8    1/400s    ISO 100
DSC00007.jpg
ILCE-7R    FE 50mm F1.8    50mm    f/2.8    1/1600s    ISO 100
DSC00022.jpg
ILCE-7R    FE 50mm F1.8    50mm    f/1.8    1/6400s    ISO 100
DSC00051.jpg
ILCE-7R    FE 50mm F1.8    50mm    f/1.8    1/50s    ISO 25600

storyteller

TalkEmount Veteran
Ah really, ill try it out, thanks for that tip, i never thought to try c-af, coming from EM5 & EM1 it is a shooting mode i never use.

Thanks, I will have a look at the FE 85 f1.8, i totally recommend the EM1 it's a bargain price camera and the IBIS/EVF/FPS are really really good but if you have any of the A7 2nd gen cameras then your probably not missing much apart from the great lenses.
If you're using a 1st gen A7R then AF-C isn't going to help, in fact it may make the focus speed worse. At least that was my experience using the 1st gen A7 and A7S (which has faster AF than the A7R).

chonbhoy

TalkEmount Regular
If you're using a 1st gen A7R then AF-C isn't going to help, in fact it may make the focus speed worse. At least that was my experience using the 1st gen A7 and A7S (which has faster AF than the A7R).
I gave it a go just now and can't tell the difference between AF-S & AF-C. If i turn AF LOCK off will that improve things, i'll try it in a little while but this camera auto focuses all the time and that must be a drain on the battery plus id rather it didn't.

chonbhoy

TalkEmount Regular
I found the Pre-AF setting :)
Since i turned that off AF-S is faster.
I'm also finding that AF-C is a bit faster.

Last edited:

chonbhoy

TalkEmount Regular
I have decided to play it safe and order a 15mm Voigtlander, reason being because the widest I've ever gone before is 18mm and I know I've wanted more before. If I find that I'm still wanting more than 15 I can always sell. I like the size of the 15 compared to the 18 batis.
I'm a little excited to own a CV lens
I see they have 3 more for e mount in the pipeline.
I've also ordered a Samyang AF 35mm f2.8 because I don't have a 35 prime for FF so lots to look forward to.
Loxia will have to wait, I read a lot of reviews and judged a lot of samples of the loxia lenses and I really like what I see i.e. The transitions, colour render, pop, that cinematic look.... I look forward to that day when I own one.

Kiwi Paul

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
I have decided to play it safe and order a 15mm Voigtlander, reason being because the widest I've ever gone before is 18mm and I know I've wanted more before. If I find that I'm still wanting more than 15 I can always sell. I like the size of the 15 compared to the 18 batis.
I'm a little excited to own a CV lens
I see they have 3 more for e mount in the pipeline.
I've also ordered a Samyang AF 35mm f2.8 because I don't have a 35 prime for FF so lots to look forward to.
Loxia will have to wait, I read a lot of reviews and judged a lot of samples of the loxia lenses and I really like what I see i.e. The transitions, colour render, pop, that cinematic look.... I look forward to that day when I own one.

That's a great lens, I have the 10 and 15 E mount lenses and love them both. You could go for the 12 but if you are happier with the 15 I think you will like it.

chonbhoy

TalkEmount Regular
I inspected Your images with the 10 & 15 over and over and read all the reviews and although I stood about imagining what could be captured with the 10 and doing my research into the stereoscopic angle of view that us humans have I thought that the safer/more general use with the 15 would be the best bet. If in the future I feel more adventurous...

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
Here are a few of my first shots with the A7R + FE50mm f1.8. I'm happy with what i got from a candid day out down the Harbour, I stuck to LR for minor tweaks here and there, nothing major and for the last photo of Torrin my dog i used the max ISO 25600 and i tried messing about with the NR in LR and i'm pleased with what i got out of it too. (i haven't a clue how to get the best out of a noisy image) Focusing wide open wasn't easy with focus by wire and magnification when i took the shot of my son hanging off the lamp post and his face is soft but i still like the photo. Overall I'm chuffed at this stage in the game. :)
View attachment 81005 View attachment 81008 View attachment 81006 View attachment 81007 View attachment 81008 View attachment 81009

1st- Great images. The Sony FF is a fantastic sensor.

2nd- The original A7 was known to be a slow focuser. And the FE 50mm is also known to be a slow focuser. So you have a slow camera and lens combo. If you plan on shooting anything with more than a moderate amount of action, you are gonna have issues.

chonbhoy

TalkEmount Regular
If you plan on shooting anything with more than a moderate amount of action, you are gonna have issues.
Thanks for your first comment, it is indeed. I'm happy with the fe 50 lens, its slow on my camera but I like the images it produces and its sharp enough I think.
I have my EM1 for action shots and other reasons and can't see me replacing it with sony FF completely.
The A9 does show promise that Sony is filling the gap between them feature/tech wise but the cost is too much and it would be the 3rd gen A7R that might cover everything.

Latest threads

Top Bottom