New guy/First FF Camera/Mirrorless Fanboy

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by chonbhoy, Jun 19, 2017.

1. chonbhoy

chonbhoy TalkEmount Regular

Jun 19, 2017
    Hi all, I'm new to sony but an all time fan of mirrorless on my journey into FF for the first time. I hope to share images and chat about just about anything you can shake a stick at lol.
    I'm an amateur/enthusiast photographer and never shoot video well hardly ever!
    I grew up with cameras in the family and started taken photos with point and shoots and compacts before i was a teen and used a Minolta SLR for a year or two, but it took a long time before i felt the urge to graduate to a really good digital camera and get some lenses which i did when i bought my first mirrorless the EM5, then i traded that for the EM1 and now i have an A7R along side the EM1, things are going to start of slowly i suspect as i only have one lens for it so far the FE 50mm f1.8 and i just got it so apart from the terrible AF of this lens i think it takes pretty good photos, we'll see i've yet to PP them. Ok the EVF isn't too good either but I'm excited about the sensor and like some of the features I've never had before so until i decide on what lens i should save up for next i have ordered a Minolta adapter to keep me going with my old lenses. Let the good times roll!

• Like Like x 5
  2. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    • Like Like x 1
  3. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Welcome to talkemount and to Sony.

There are a number of m4/3 users here (both past and current), so they should be able to help you find things to buy. I mean, help you with the transition.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Welcome and post some photos:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. chonbhoy

Jun 19, 2017
    Cheers, i am going to have a good read on the processing page to get up to speed, as for lens choices, I'm not going to go all out on a whole new system unless i have some serious re-assurances to what AF/Zoom lenses focus well on the A7R. From what i can gather it would be better suited to manual lenses and for my level i better keep that to ultra wide angle and focus more on landscapes but the FOV i like is 35mm 50mm 85mm so I'm willing to work around up to it, I'm not committing to those FOVs though and would like to keep it simple for now, 1x wide angle lens and one portrait lens just because I especially would like to take photos of my baby daughter with it and get a large print for hanging on my wall.

• Like Like x 1
  6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Welcome chonbhoy! I think you'll find a lot of us here who either came from m4/3 or are bi-cameral. And yes, when you get something you like from that A7R, let us see it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Welcome from me too!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    and welcome from me too

• Like Like x 1
  9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Hi and Welcome

And yes, the 50mm FE is known as having a seriously slow AF

• Like Like x 1
  10. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I agree, once stopped down a bit this lens is really good. Terrible AF? Yup, especially in AF-S mode. If you didn't already, try AF-C, the lens is much quicker then if it doesn't have to change focus too much.

11. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Welcome as well! You should be quite happy with the full frame Sony. I almost got myself an EM1 as my 2nd system. Cool cameras! But decided I wanted full-frame more.
    The FE-85mm f1.8 is an excellent native portrait lens and reasonably affordable. Worth checking out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. mstphoto

mstphoto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    Welcome aboard :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  13. chonbhoy

Jun 19, 2017
    Ah really, ill try it out, thanks for that tip, i never thought to try c-af, coming from EM5 & EM1 it is a shooting mode i never use.

Thanks, I will have a look at the FE 85 f1.8, i totally recommend the EM1 it's a bargain price camera and the IBIS/EVF/FPS are really really good but if you have any of the A7 2nd gen cameras then your probably not missing much apart from the great lenses.

• Like Like x 2
  14. chonbhoy

Jun 19, 2017
    Wow the FE 85mm f1.8 certainly looks appealing and compared to the Batis 85mm f1.8 its really good value!

15. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    Welcome to talkemount. 35, 50, 85 - classic! It sounds like you have a good plan. Enjoy that camera and your lenses. I think you will find the comments and advice given here will be very supportive, helpful, and true. (I know, truth and the internet normally do not play well together. But the folks here seem to make it work.)

Oh - and share some images you make - we all like to see those.

• Like Like x 1
  16. chonbhoy

Jun 19, 2017
    Thanks. In the SLR days 24mm was considered another classic but i don't enjoy that FOV much, i do like 18mm but I'm wondering if i should go for the Loxia 21mm f2.8 instead of the Batis 18mm because of how neat the Loxia is and the more precise manual focus and from the sample images i think ill enjoy the FOV (i must try using my Olympus 9-18 at 10.5mm, i have used an adapted and speed boosted Samyang 14mm f2.8 which is very close to 21mm FF and i liked what i could fit in that FOV) Additionally i suspect that when i go trekking up a monroe, what ill really want is a Voigtlander 12or15mm to capture the whole scene in portrait orientation.

17. chonbhoy

Jun 19, 2017
    The Sigma 85mm f1.4 is due to come out for e-mount but is that lens going to work without the Sigma adapter? The quality will be good and the price too no doubt, maybe worth waiting?

18. lensguy1

lensguy1 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 23, 2017
    Two Rivers Wi
    David Heilmna
    Welcome, if you are happy with manual focus might I suggest Canon or Nikon legacy primes, I use Canon myself and those lenses are available and relatively inexpensive. My favorite portrait lens is the FDN 85mm 1.4 ($650) and landscape would be FDN 15mm 2.8 fisheye ($500)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    Welcome! We've got a good bunch here, i look forward to your pictures!

• Like Like x 1
  20. chonbhoy

Jun 19, 2017
    Thanks.
    I thought id better do a lens inventory check. My old MD lenses consist of:
    MD Fish-Eye 16mm f2.8
    MD 28mm f2.8
    MC ROKKOR PG 50mm f1.4
    MC ROKKOR PG 58mm f1.2
    MD 85mm f2
    MD 24-35mm f3.5
    MD 35-70mm f3.5
    VIVITAR Series 1 35-85mm f2.8
    SIGMA 70-210mm APO f2.8
    MD 70-210 F4
    SIGMA 400mm f5.6 Mirror Telephoto
    VIVITAR 2x Macro Focusing Teleconverter

I'd lost track lol and had to hunt about for them!
    I'm definitely a fan of old manual lenses! Once i get the adapter ill have to get shooting and then compare image quality on the net to see if its worth going for native lenses but i do fancy a UWA that aint a fish

• Like Like x 1