1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New from Houston, TX

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by JimR, Mar 28, 2012.

1. JimR

JimR TalkEmount Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Jim
    Hi all, I've just joined the forum and just joined the Sony NEX world last week with the purchase of the NEX-C3. Took it out on a photowalk on Saturday and seem to be learning all the features and functions. I look forward to participating on the forum.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Hi and welcome Jim

3. lapdog99

lapdog99 TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Colorado
    Looks like you will be getting a Canon adapter. Welcome aboard.

4. JimR

JimR TalkEmount Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Jim
    Possibly, does anyone have any recommendations? I've looked on Amazon and can't get a feel from the user reviews which are good. I see a lot of "scary" stuff like "couldn't get the adapter off my lens", "my lens fell off", etc.

5. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Welcome JimR :)

There only seems to be really cheap adapters and really expensive adapters for the NEX. I think I've seen a middle priced one that appears to have only been rebranded. Best to pick one and try it out first before buying more of them. As advised, I've also only used inexpensive all-metal adapters and haven't had any problems either.

In saying that, I would only get the best adapter available for a Leica optic (if I had one, sigh...)

I'd also take the 'scary stuff' with a grain of salt. Some of that may just be user-error.

For example, I read a review somewhere that the plastic lens hood on the Sony SEL 18-55mm zoom was poorly designed because it supposedly keeps falling off. This lens hood has an indent lock at the very end of its twist, which holds the hood in place. If the hood isn't twisted past this 'click' - it will obviously fall off eventually.

6. JimR

JimR TalkEmount Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Jim
    Thanks for the advice. Seems like one with aperture control may be what I'll look for.

7. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
  8. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Oh, btw... when you first mount your FD lens to the adapter, make sure the adapter's lock-ring is in the 'open' position first. Once the lens is on, swing the lock-ring to 'lock.' If you don't do this, the adapter's protrusion will be on the wrong side of the lens 'tongue' and your lens won't stop-down.