1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

new from Fuji

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by NickCyprus, Jan 28, 2014.

1. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
  2. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Love the styling, but marked dials is really so last century. The power of digital is to put stuff on the screen so you don't need to permanently mark them and consequently they're bigger than they ought to be (makes the top plate cramped - way more cramped than the A7 since the PASM dial is not a dial you need to regularly adjust, but shutter, EVF and maybe ISO would be) just to be able to read the markings. I'm not sure ISO dial really adds all that much improvement if you have a good Auto ISO and EV dials. To me that is a much more powerful combination. Shutter and Aperture obviously you want them under your control since those affect the composition. But take a look at the shutter dial (also from the last century) - they can only afford to squeeze a half stop between 1/125 and 1/250. For an indoors/available light shooter like me, I'd much rather have half or thirds stops between 1/60 and 1/125 - nearly all my shooting is done between this range. Of course we are spoiled on our NEXes and A7s - unmarked dials equals stops wherever we need them.

Anyway, I am thinking about a 20-24MP DSLR-shaped mirrorless for tele purposes to complement the A7 (5N is great but what it's good at is not the tele stuff), but this one won't make me jump systems. I'm hoping there's an A5 that will be APS-C and DSLR shaped (A9000 for the NEX-7 successor is fine by me). I was a fan of aperture markings on the lens barrel with Fuji, but since having the A7 and everything tweakable in one hand, I'm not such a fanatic about that anymore. Two-handed operation for the dials means compromises to your stability and concentration on framing the shot in my opinion - one of the reasons the Nikon DF was criticised so much is that it put important dials on the left.

3. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    It's a pretty neat camera but I think for most people, it's dial and switch overload. You can change the shutter speed in 1/3 stop increments. You set the shutter dial to the speed you want and then the front dial on the grip will give you 1/3 fine tuning. I never really got the obsession with a large shutter speed dial, especially if it takes 2 controls to fine tune. I would prefer the A7 approach with the PASM dial with custom modes and the dedicated EC dial. I do like the stacked dials with the drive more switch underneath.

One thing I wish Sony would do is add OSS and Manual focus switches on the lenses and also the ability to set a minimum shutter speed. Sony loves 1/60 speed!

4. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I love the general idea of 3 marked control dials, each with an "A" setting - kind of like the way my old Nikon FE works (my reference for functional simplicity. On the new Fuji you could go from full, full auto to 1/250 f/5.6 ISO100 before even powering up the camera.

OTOH my A7 lets me do much the same thing and change a bunch of other relevant stuff (including WB & drive mode) with a single click of the mode dial. That's actually even more useful to this particular shooter. Much as I drool over Fuji's quasi-retro layouts (and their APS-C lens lineup).

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Nah. One more pseudo retro styled camera with the specs you expect from a camera in this class nowadays. Technology improved a lot, why don't design around the new needs and by new industrial design standards instead of trying to go back to the old designs?

• Like Like x 1
  6. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    To be fair to Fuji, their brand image has been entirely built on the retro fad - the X-Pro1 was a clear Leica referent, and now they are going back to SLR referents. But the problem is that some old decisions make sense (and they're right to keep them - like an axis-aligned central EVF once OVF's RF positioning is no longer needed) but there are others that have been surpassed by new technology. And it's not that hard to guess which has been surpassed (ISO dials anyone).

For what it's worth, I'd love to play with a Fuji to see what gems they've put inside the EVF. Sony has shown there's an innovation space there with focus peaking, zebra mode, horizon level, etc. that are all great features I use on a daily basis now. I hope Fuji are using the space as creatively too (the side-by-side zoom MF assist function looks AMAZING), because Olympus isn't really (they are merely incorporating things if others do it - their focus peaking is laggy and badly implemented for example).

7. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    Heh this sounds fork-in-the-eye levels of painfully bad implementation btw

8. quezra

Aug 22, 2012
    Well one good thing, we know how large a 16-55/f2.8 lens is likely to be for an APS-C camera:
    63_zps2772f5c3.

I can't believe they don't have a substantial grip on the X-T1, its already not compact so you should focus on the ergonomics. Even A7's grip needs to be deeper, this one looks almost worthless without the (undoubtedly expensive) add-on grip, which isn't even an ideal shape for all that.

9. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    I'm excited about the XT1. I like the retro styles, and the control dials and shutter button appear to be more in tune with the way I hold my cameras. I hate the location of the front dial of my A7. And the shutter button of my A7 seems to be misplaced as well. I'm strongly tempted to pick up one. The Fuji lens line up is much more promising than the Sony A7/r (for now), ... but ...

While top ISO dedicated dials are cool looking, it's really not practical at all (see Nikon DF), especially when one needs to hold down the middle button before turning the dial.

1/4000 max shutter speed is cheese-ball! C'mon Fuji!

10. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Armanius, sounds like you are in the business for a NEX-7. ;)

11. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    It looks to be a very interesting camera. I like the Fuji X system, although I do have some reservations about the X Trans sensor. Or, to be more precise the RAW conversion software that is currently available for it.

I have the X100, and it is a very, very good camera with its conventional Bayer sensor. My X Pro 1 is a good camera, although the focus speed, and sometimes, accuracy, in some situations leaves a lot to be desired. Apparently the XT 1 has a significantly uprated focus system.

I can't say that I am particularly attracted to the 70's retro styling, but, I do like dials. I hate having to fiddle around with buttons while studying a screen in order to make settings, so from this point of view I think Fuji will find a lot of fans who are rooted in the old SLR film days.

I'm going to watch the progress of the XT 1 and read the user reviews with interest, but I'm going to pass on it and wait to see what Fuji come up with over the next year or so. I may go for the X100S as an upgrade to my X100, but thats about it for 2014.

The XT 1 body could have the kind of performance that the other bodies in the range have so far lacked. Fuji have an extremely good range of lenses, except for the 18mm which was an unmitigated disaster. Hopefully the XT 1 will usher in a new era of bodies that will match the performance of Fuji's range of lenses. If Fuji have got the focus performance right in the XT 1, and they incorporate the new technology into an "X Pro 2", I'd be first in line to buy!