1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New focal reducer maker?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by lenshoarder, Sep 30, 2013.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    I thought there were only two to date, Metabones and Zhonghi. I've noticed that there is another "generic" lens being sold on ebay. It has no brand markings but from the description sounds a lot like Zhonghi even with warnings about a blue dot. The sellers even use marketing images for the Zhonghi. Two differences though. One, the mounts on this generic lens look better than on the Zhonghi. The Zhonghi has the standard flanges cut in springs like you would find on any cheap ebay lens adapter. The generic uses real clip springs like you would find on a camera. I thought the generics were delabeled Zhonghi lenses but why would they put better mounts on them? The 2nd difference is price. These no name focal reducers sell for $99. One is even listed at $93.50. That's substantially cheaper than the Zhonghi. I've said it before, but I think the price of these will settle into the $30-$40 range. That's where lens adapters with glass elements and cheap TCs sell for.

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Just keep in mind there's no way a focal reducer for 40 bucks doesn't reduce IQ of a high quality lens. Hell, even UV filters for 40 bucks degrade lens quality, let alone a complex lens system like a focal reducer.

3. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    True, but any focal reducer regardless of price will effect IQ. Same can be said of TCs. The question is does it affect IQ to the point that you can notice it. I bought a $20 TC. I can't see a difference between it and a more expensive TC. In terms of complexity, a FR is not that different from a TC.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mellow

Mellow TalkEmount Regular

Aug 18, 2013
    Florida or Wyoming
    Tom
    Wow, I've not had this experience with teleconverters . . . the cheap ones I've tried have been absolutely TERRIBLE. With focal reducers it might be a little different, because they won't amplify flaws in the attached lens. And I'm pretty happy with my Zhonghi, even though it only cost $130.

I would think one of the big differences would be the quality of coatings. The Zhonghi is obviously coated, with dark green/blue reflections. Anyone know if it looks similar to the metabones?

5. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Indeed just like audio interconnectors...none of them are going to improve anything, is a matter of which one degrades the least.

6. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    Remember that a focal reducer is just a specialized lens. Just pieces of glass with a coating applied and a specific optical formula to produce a desired result. If you buy a cheap lens, you usually get cheap results. If you buy an expensive lens, you (can if you have the skill) get very nice results. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Having said that, I have had NO issues with the Metabones C/Y speedbooster. And I have a ton of photos to prove it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8539414@N07/sets/72157633126249795/