1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New firmware for a6000 & A7

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by nighttrain, Jun 16, 2015.

1. nighttrain

nighttrain TalkEmount Regular

Dec 9, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. metalmania

metalmania TalkEmount Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    Can't wait to try

3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Just picked up on it and immediately installed it on my A7. It's supposed to offer faster startup times and maybe it does, can't really tell the difference. I installed it right away to see if my FE 16-35mm might focus more accurately, gonna try that later; Japanese companies aren't always candid about bugs they have fixed, I'm just keeping my hopes up.

4. Senya

Senya TalkEmount Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Minsk, Belarus
    A7:
    Cold boot time the same - around 6 seconds.
    Regular on/off , slightly faster but not much.

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Just for kicks I tried to be a little scientific about this update. So I used a stopwatch and timed the cold startup (with battery removal and ten second pause before I reinserted it) three times both before and after updating my A7 from firmware v1.2 to v2.0.

There was no detectable difference in cold startup. None. All were just a hair over 6 secs.

I don't know what Sony included in this firmware update. But the one item that they listed, improved startup time, is clearly an insignificant improvement. What else they might have included in the update is a mystery. But you'd think that going from v1.2 to v2.0 should include at least something worthwhile.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    I suspect that they rolled in the firmware updates from 1.21 (only ever released in Japan) that improved low light auto focus speed.

7. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    YEAH!!!! I was hoping Sony would do that. There was no reason to have it on the A5100 and not on the A6000.

8. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount All-Pro

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    I wonder why there is no update for A7II..........

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Everyone excited about the XAVC S format remember

"When recording a movie in the XAVC S format, you must use a Class 10 or faster SDXC card."

10. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Who buys less than Class 10 cards these days??? :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

It also has to be at least 32GB. Mine is only 16GB.

I've never come close to filling up 16GB, I think the most I have ever used before offloading them was 3GB.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  12. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    I'm pretty sure it has to be 64GB actually. That's the way it on the A7S (and A7mk2 I believe). In theory you can get/fake a 32GB SDXC card but I could never get it to work. A silly requirement since I have 32GB SDHC cards that are much faster than my slowest 64GB SDXC card but there you go...

13. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    I wonder if the update isn't more about setting a version parity for the ILCE cameras of the same generation. That seems silly but I can't see any other reason.

EDIT: I was excited for a sec when I thought all the cameras on v.2.0 would get XAVC... sigh.

14. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I discovered that later.

A quick EBay search shows I could get a compatable card for about $25.00. Can anyone explain the difference in formats?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  15. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    SDXC is a superset of SDHC. It's the replacement. It allows for larger sizes and faster speeds.

I would never buy a sd card off of ebay. Too many fakes. There's no need. 64GB cards are cheap from well known vendors.

If you must buy one now, here's one for about $21.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231652

If you can wait, you can get Samsung Pros and Sony UHs for less than $30 fairly regularly.

16. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Thanks for the info.

I've bought cards from Ebay for years with no issues. You just have to pay attention as to whom you are buying from.

17. Archer

Archer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    London, England
    I think there's an improvement to low light focusing with the new firmware

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    SDXC use exFAT and besides being better performing, it also allows for individual file sizes greater than 4Gb. Since the higher bit rate of the XAVC S format results in much larger file sizes, this allows the video to be stored as a single file instead of breaking it up into 4Gb segments.

Unfortunately, the way the standards are written, all flash drives of 32Gb and smaller must be formatted in FAT32 format to be compatible with older devices that only support FAT-32. So you can't reformat a 32Gb card as exFAT in hopes of having it work. The camera will recognize the 32Gb size, but will think it is improperly formatted and want to reformat it back to FAT32.

So only memory cards of 64Gb or greater can be used with XAVC S format.

• Informative Informative x 4
  19. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    A6000 updated this evening/

Before update: Cold startup (Battery change) around 4-5 seconds. Regular off/on was about a second.

After update: Cold startup the LCD panel came on almost immediately (Like normal off/on), but it still took 4+ seconds for the full display to come up (Battery remaining and other indicators, etc).

Now to try out XAVC

20. Archer

Archer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    London, England
    This was not my experience yesterday - I formatted a 32GD SDHC Card in windows to exFAT and put it in my A6000 camera and it worked perfectly - however it still wouldn't allow me to record XAVC S to the card but the format of the card remained as exFAT and allowed me to do everything else.