New E-mount lens: 50/1.4 Zeiss Planar

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by bargainguy, Jul 11, 2016.

1. bargainguy

bargainguy TalkEmount Regular

Jun 29, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

I have no interest in the lens, but grown to the system is always a good thing. Given the size and complexity, Perhaps they're aiming for an Otus competitor?

Keep em' coming, Sony!

Can anyone actually see the planar part of this lens design?

SonyFE50f1_4ZA_schematic.

My best guess is that it's the first six elements, but it doesn't look like that's where the diaphram is, which kind of destroys the whole point. Sony's been really pushing it with the Zeiss labels they've been giving their Zeiss-branded lenses. The Sonnar is barely visible in the 24mm f/1.8, for example, though the 55mm and 35mm are a little better.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    Surprised that it's not a Batis.

• Like Like x 1
  4. metalmania

metalmania TalkEmount Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    I sold my 55/1.8 to get a Sigma 50/1.4 ART. Well worth it. I don't think this FE50/1.4 ZA is better than Sigma 50ART.

5. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Yes Yes YES, another fullframe 50. We really needed that, as opposed to some additions in the APS-C range. Way to go Sony.:coco:
    :sorry:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I hope it does well for them.
    I'll probably stick with my 55/1.8. (I like the size, I like that it's paid for, and when I get up head & shoulders close, f/1.8 is already too shallow...)

7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Even in the FE line-up we now have 4 native 50mm lenses (Loxia 2/50 included). This 50/1.4 comes at $1500, 72mm filter thread, humongous size and (probably) high weight. And if it needs to be stopped down ever so slightly for excellent performance there's no point getting it over the FE 1.8/55mm which is great wide-open. I'd be interested to see the internal marketing report defending the development of this lens. :confused:

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    I totally agree.
    I hope the sarcasm did show in my former post ;)

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    The more the better but yeah there are other gaps that should be filled in the e-mount lineup IMO.
    Should be a great performer I have no doubt :)

10. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Totally agree. This really is an odd choice for the line. That said, I think we enthusiast think different from full time Pros. Just as most of us were comfortable using F4 zooms, pros didn't take the line seriously without F2.8 zooms. Similarly, I was comfortable with F1.8 primes, but I have to admit I have heard my share of rumblings about the lack of F1.4 primes. Just think of the excitement you read about for the 85 GMaster despite the existence of the already fantastic 85 Battis and 90G.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Seems like Sony is making sure it covers the f/1.4 "market", regardless of what else is in the focal length range, with this one to complete the troika with the 35/1.4ZA and 85/1.4GM.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    It surely did :D

13. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    I'm happy to see Sony offering fast F1.4-F1.8 (and moderately fast glass F2-F2.8) for A7 in focal lengths and speeds that we have been asking for.
    However, mirrorless does not mean we can evade the laws of physics and it also doesn't mean that bodies need to be kept small and light.

I didn't get into mirrorless to have only small tote-able glass - I got in in order to have options and for the advantages that an EVF can provide over an OVF in certain situations.

I wish Sony also offered similar options in the bodies themselves. I want small tote-able mirror-less bodies similar to the A6300 but I also want DSLR size 1dx/D5 bodies with the capabilities and ruggedness, dual memory cards, battery life to match. This is the area that I feel Sony need to flesh out more now.

Tom.

14. bargainguy

bargainguy TalkEmount Regular

Jun 29, 2016
    I was just out shooting with my 55/1.8 today, and continue to be impressed by this lens. It's relatively compact, doesn't need to be stopped down much (if at all) to produce superb images, and does what it's supposed to do. For my purposes, I can't see spending mucho deniero for the f/1.4 Planar unless it were a wowser compared to the 55/1.8, which I highly doubt, but we'll see what the real story is once it becomes widely available.

Mike: The latest named Zeiss designations seem somewhat removed from their original characteristics IMHO, now perhaps more marketing jargon than anything else. In the olden days, Planar meant a flat-field lens and a symmetric lens element design, with excellent resolution and little chromatic aberration and distortion, but not necessarily the best bokeh. Nothing too symmetric about this one! Sonnar was supposed to mean a Tessar-like design, with perhaps more pleasing bokeh, more 3-D rendering and wider aperture, perhaps at the expense of greater chromatic aberration and distortion. If we look at the 55/1.8 Sonnar, in practice it acts more like a Planar as far as resolution and relative lack of CA, and the bokeh is decent enough. I used to be able to figure out what the names meant, especially with Hassy Zeiss lenses, when a Planar was a Planar, a Distagon was a Distagon, and a Sonnar was a Sonnar. Oh well. I suppose the names are somewhat irrelevant if the lenses work well enough.

15. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    A 40mm f2 Batis would be nice...fits nicely between 25 and 85mm FOV

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That makes two of us, now Zeiss HAS to do this!

17. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I have to believe this was made with the A9 in mind.

18. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    So buyers will soon get an offer to have their rear lenscap replaced?:biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That's 45mm, not 40mm and that makes a real difference in my experience. So far I resisted the temptation to go for adapters with on-board software or moving parts, I don't look forward to adding compatibility issues to the photographing experience.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016