1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

new daffs

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Bimjo, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Apparently Spring has arrived. At least the daffodils think so.

Sony 18-55 kit lens off tripod under a nice overcast sky.
    daffs120402_02.

daffs120402_03.

daffs120402_05.

daffs120402_06.

2. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Thoughtful placement and composition.. striking capture of colours and texture... sharp... so nice!

What aperture?

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Thank you. It's all foamboard background and difused light. It's my not-so-secret secret. Pray for overcast days with no wind. :) First 2 @f/11, last 2 @f/13.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Excellent capture, very vivid and crisp and like Dioptrick mentioned thoughtful composition. Great set mate.

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Thank you kind sir!

6. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I agree, some pictures are very nice.... :)

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Thanks Freddy. :)

8. JimR

JimR TalkEmount Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Jim
    Man, who says the "kit" lens doesn't produce sharp pictures? These are tack sharp and I love the composition. Granted f/11 and f/13, but wow!

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Thanks Jim. I usually shoot flowers with a Tamron 28-75/2.8 on a Pentax K20. I normally shoot at F/5.6 or wider. Because the Sony kit lens focuses so much closer than the Tamron I stopped the kit lens down to keep the DOF reasonable.

Since this was the first effort with the NEX I'll back off some to get more of the stalks in the shots & the aperture will open up some. But I'm pleased with how the NEX rendered these, they seem almost translucent in some cases. Camera works pretty good. ;)

10. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Unfortunately, 'kit lens' has become synonymous with 'poor cheap lens' due to past entry-level cost-cutting offerings from most manufacturers. Somehow, this generalization doesn't apply to the Sony SEL1855 kit zoom. It's a very good lens... especially sharp with OSS switched on (see active graphs on link below).

Sony NEX-3 / NEX-5 Review: Digital Photography Review

11. JimR

JimR TalkEmount Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Jim
    And, it's the only lens I have right now for my C3. I like it just fine. (Well, except for the RainbowImaging 35MM F1.7. But that doesn't really count. It is fun though.)