New computer! Change from ACDSeePro to LR now???

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Grisu_HDH, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    I bought a new PC last days and I will set it up in the next couple of days...
    Intel i5, 8GB RAM, Intel4600, Win7 Pro (and 8.1 Pro)

I used following software for my workflow:
    Organizing = ACDSee Pro 7
    RAW converter = ACDSee Pro 7
    Processing = PSE12 with Nik Software Suite

I never touched newer LR cause it does not work with Windows XP on my old PC.
    As LR5 is available via Amazon for 89 EURs right now I think about switching now having Win7 (or 8.1) coming up...
    What do you think?

2. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    IMHO LR is definitely the best tool for raw processing. It is amazing how much you can do with it and it's pretty simple to use. Just look what Serge Ramelli does using LR...

3. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I've been using Paintshop Pro and CameraBag 2 since I had to format my new computer (I had CS4 on it prior to format, but shipped the disks home when I moved to the UK). I'm very tempted to get Lightroom because while I've sworn off CS because of the ridiculous Creative Cloud move, I miss my spot heal brush very much :(

4. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Should add that LR works fine with PSE and NikCollection. You would have a fully integrated worfklow.

5. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    But spending another 90 EUR?
    What Ireally like about ACDSee Pro 7 is its speed and I didn't use the 64bit version.
    And I like the way to organize my photos fast and easy...

Right? LR uses some kind of archive/catalog where pictures have to be importetd?
    Is it possible to manage them as on the hard drive, not having to import every file?
    When the file is on my disk, I want to see it in my organiser, as long it's in my preset folder structure...??
    PSE organizer also works with a catalog and new files in folders don't get recognized automatically, which drives me crazy...

6. tacoplenty

tacoplenty New to TalkEmount

Nov 17, 2013
    By all means go for lightroom five. You will not be disappointed.

7. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Understand your point if view and I guess you're right but really, try it first for 30 days and you won't be disappointed. It is clearly the best one, maybe not for organizing images but for processing raw for sure.