1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New Citizen Dane

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by soeren, Dec 15, 2014.

1. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Hi I'm Søren and I'm an Alfaholic
    I'm living in Denmark and I just got an A6000 which is in fact my first digital camera.
    Now I'm anticipating a long and steep learning curve and severe GAS attacks in the near future.
    First I need to figure out which adapter I'm gonna get for my Nikon lenses, Which flash + remote triggers i can get to work with the Sony, Shutter trigger and then which lenses.... etc. All while trying to figure out the secrets of Raw converters, Post processing and how to get the pics on paper :confused:
    Best regards
    Søren

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Welcome!

3. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Shutter trigger situation is pretty bad for Nexes, A6000 has got possibility to use wired shutter release and there are some generic shutter release systems but I think that there are not any flash/shutter combos out there I have been looking Pixel RW-221 as a possible transmitter (but I think that RF-603 II will suit me better and I can use these for flashes too). Nex 7 doesn't have connector for wired remote shutter, IR only.

Quite many manual flash triggers work with my Nex-7 (at the moment using Youngnuo RF-603 II [first model needs modification for Sony cameras]) but I need adapter for flash shoe. I suppose that these will work with A6000 too.

You have manual Nikon lenses? I would start with cheap Chinese ones. Look Ebay for Nikon F to Sony E mount adapter.

I have only two Nikon lenses, 180mm/2.8 ED and 300mm/4.5 ED. Both are very good.

4. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Thanks xXx1
    Yes Ive got Nikon lenses from 20mm to 180mm AIS and AFD (got a 300 f/4,5 I never use)
    Are the metabones ok?
    re flash triggers Iv got a Hähnel thing that works with the A6000 though the accessory shoe seems to measure slightly different.
    Ive only got one pair ( then again I also have only one flash) so possibilities are limited.
    Id like to be able to trigger long exposures (Bulb)

5. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Metabones are great but expensive. Cheap Chinese adapters work and are cheap (as a side note, these are often about 0.3 mm too short and allow focusing beyond infinity and this is problem with extreme wide angles).

6. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Welcome to the forum Soeren!

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Welcome.

xXx1 is right on. The only thing I would add is that if you have a smartphone you can get an app that allows remote control of all the camera features.

8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Welcome Søren! Let us see some of your photos when you're squared away.

9. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Hej och välkommen Citizen Dane!

I hope you will have fun adapting your nikon lenses to the a6000 and using focus peaking and focus magnifying to get critical focus.

It is a little confusing in the flash/trigger arena as some were developed for the old Sony/Minolta hotshot mount and the a6000 uses the newer generic hotshoe. (Today, I tried a cheapie Neewer radio trigger with a Canon 480EX ii speedlite on my NEX-6 and it worked fine).

10. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    :Welcome: Søren!

I use a Fotodiox Pro NEX to NIK adapter for my (Nikon) Sigma 90mm Macro f/2.8...no autofocus, but works wonderful.