1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New: Capture One Pro 8

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Poki, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Phase One just released version 8 of Capture One Pro. What?s new? It basically all comes down to "even better image quality" in most tools. Some tools are completely new, too, like a tool to add organic looking film grain to your photos. You can get all details at www.phaseone.com

The best part? While the software remains at €229 for a full license and €69 for an upgrade from an earlier CP Pro version, there's currently an offer which allows you to upgrade from any Capture One version, including Express and LE, to Pro 8 for just €69 (all prices excluding 25% VAT). I'm in the lucky position to own a Capture One Express 6 license key which came with a photo magazine a few years back, so I'll bite. If my bank transfers my money over to PayPal before the offer is over, that is.

What are your thoughts?

2. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    • Like Like x 4
  3. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    so what this think does compared to photoshop and or lightroom?

4. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Wait, is this the full version of Capture One Pro 8 with the exception of only being able to process RAW files from Sony cameras? If so, that deal is UNBEATABLE! Just checked, my Express license does count for upgrading for this version too, so I'll get it asap! Now come on, PayPal - let me buy it now!

Thank you soo much for mentioning this! You just saved me 60 Euro.

The image quality is much better. While it doesn't do much beyond what the PS/LR combination offers, there's simply no question which software delivers the better image quality. Download the free trial and see for yourself - the Capture One Pro image quality is simply unbeatable. Certainly worlds beyond what Aperture offered, and still leaps ahead of Adobe's image processing engine. It's simply incredible which amount of detail Capture One is able to bring out of your images. You think your RAW files look amazing, have great dynamic range and are very detailed? You will think you were blind all those years after throwing them at Capture One.

Edit:

Quote from Phase One:

Indeed, the two versions seem to be the same. Like Capture One DB, only for Sony users and not free. Although the price is great, and doesn't even seem time limited.

5. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    I saw it on SAR a few hours ago. I tried the free version quickly. Detail seems to be better than lightroom but I don't have a side by side comparison on the computer I am on. I'll try it out at home. For 30$, it looks like the Pro version is the way to go for sure. I was able to import some JPEG film scans and JPEGS from other cameras so there is JPEG support from the looks of it.

6. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    If you compare, do it with RAW files. It's only there where you see the actual difference. With a TIFF or JPEG, there's already either a RAW conversion or compression that would make the comparison invalid. But yeah, I doubt anything comes close to Capture One for image detail. Well worth the €29. And great I waited and didn't jump for the €140 sale a few weeks back. :)

7. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Thanks for the info. Looks like even the Express is a full featured RAW editor, wow. I did a quick comparison to Photo Ninja which is my editor of choice currently and both have strong sides. But for free, it's unbeatable, plus it has some DAM features.

Added: I ended up ordering the Pro version for Sony, at $30 seems a no-brainer. It has some really nice tools and very good details.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gensnap

Gensnap New to TalkEmount

Nov 8, 2014
    Lightroom appears better at high ISO's

I'm considering buying the a7s and have taken a few shots with the camera in the store.I'm not quite convinced. I tested both Capture one pro 8 and lightroom and found that at low ISO (320) Capture one was better by a hair, but at higher ISO's Lightroom was definitely superior. The grain structure was mushy with C One and more granular with Lroom. Default white balance was also won by Lightroom but then I realise Cap One has more options to improve the balance.

9. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    LR adds more clarity by default, which results in crisper noise. If you add some clarity in Capture One, it's just as sharp. Also, the clarity controls in Capture One are clearly superior. In fact, the stunning results these tools achieve were one of a few main reasons why I switched to it. Also, the new tool to add noise produces very natural looking noise patterns and can add quite a bit to photos, depending on the situation.

As for noise reduction - Capture One still is optimized for the very fine noise you get when shooting high resolution medium format cameras at low ISO's. So it doesn't handle heavy noise at high ISOs that great. If you need heavy noise reduction regularly, you'll need to use another software for that.

10. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
  11. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    And that's with Capture One Pro 7. I used that version for a couple of months before switching to Pro 8, and they improved quite a few things and added some nice features. Since Sony users can get CO Pro incredibly cheap, I'd suggest anyone to at least try the free trial version. I never saw image quality this great out of my NEX-7 before using Capture One. Also, it actually is able to extract good color in difficult situations like my night landscapes or some concert shots, where Aperture and Lightroom forced me to basically recolor them completely.

12. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Okay, I'm going to ask a "dumb" question: how do I get my already imported images into Capture One for Sony? I've always imported my shots straight from SD card into iPhoto (and plan to continue that until the new Photos app arrives). But iPhoto / Aperture keeps the images in a database structure that it doesn't appear C1 can read. Plus if I export/copy the image out of iPhoto to a folder, those images are greyed out in the Capture One for Sony file import window.

I presume C1 is trying to determine if it's a Sony-originated image and the iPhoto import/export has somehow undermined that determination. Anyone have any luck going from iPhoto / Aperture to C1? Or do I need to import to C1 from the SD card? If the latter, I'll be a little bummed... hate to import twice.

Sent from TalkEmount app on iPad

13. Gensnap

Gensnap New to TalkEmount

Nov 8, 2014
    Check out my tests on high ISO images from the a7s in Capture one pro 8 and Lightroom.. posted in the E mount camera section under "I'm not sure about the a7s"

14. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Apple did something great with iPhoto two years back - the structured the library identically as it is done in Aperture. Which means if you can import an Aperture library somewhere, you'll also be able to import an iPhoto library. Phase One explains how it's done in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IylO2Hxegkg

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Thanks for the tip and video Poki. Unfortunately it did not seem to work for the free version of Capture One for Sony. Upon selecting Import Aperture Library, the iPhoto Library file - and every other file - was greyed out and not selectable. I am able to drag and drop some files in but it is kind of wonky about it, opening multiple dialogs and not allowing a response on either. But that might be a Yosemite-related bug (I've encountered a few of those).

Sent from TalkEmount app on iPad

16. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    That's unfortunate. However, do you actually need to transfer over your whole library?

Because I didn't. I just brought over the photos I wanted to keep as TIFFs (because most of them were edited with external software, I didn't loose RAW adjustments that way). The rest of my library? Well, they'll wait in the Aperture library until (if) I need them ever again. This way, I also have a much cleaner, less cluttered library in Capture One to start with. Might not be a solution for everyone, though.

17. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Another probably "dumb" question. But i'm very very new to this software. One thing i'm noticing is that my imported pictures aren't the same in COP8 vs PMH.

Example. I've taken some shots in RAW with the camera settings set to black and white. When I import into PMH they remain B&W. Full color in COP8.

I'm probably not reading something correctly, i'll check into it a bit later.

However, i'm finding editing pictures to be much easier (for me) than Lightroom, the first few images i've processed look Awesome! Maybe it's placebo I can't tell yet. Just feels easier, and looks better.

Thx for sharing. After trying the free version upgrading for 30 bucks seems a no-brainer

p.s. i understand that raw means no camera processing. but its still confusing to me

18. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    If you shoot RAW, and the images are black and white, then you don't shoot RAW. At least not only. In this case, you probably shot RAW + JPEG and used the JPEG as "master" image in the other software. Capture One, however, doesn't let you swap masters - if you shoot RAW + JPEG, they'll appear as two images in your library. So indeed you processed a black & white JPEG with PMH and the RAW with Capture One.

Still, the image quality of Capture One is, at least in many areas, unbeatable. That's the reason for pretty much everybody who switches.

19. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I understand everything you are saying. Yet. When I use play memories home to import pics I took with the B&W setting on, they show up with Raw in the corner and when I export to jpeg they are B&W yet when I import to capture one they are color from the get go. Just an inconsistency I noticed.

Scribed henceforth from thy G pad.

20. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Ah, never used Sony's own software. But of course, Sony's software is able to read the JPEG settings you had and can immediately apply them to your RAW files. That's not a good thing, however, since the Sony software uses an algorithm similar to the ones used in their cameras, which means the quality is sub par.

If you want all your images to be black and white from the start, you can do that in Capture One. Just create a B&W preset and apply it directly in the import window.

• Like Like x 1