1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New camera: Sony a99ii

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by bargainguy, Sep 19, 2016.

1. bargainguy

bargainguy TalkEmount Regular

Jun 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Sony is confusing. I'm not sure whether they're fully supporting the A mount or the E mount or just doing both?

3. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    Seems to me that they are doing both. I think they are big enough to do that, too. It does not bother me at all.

4. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    I'd love to get one, since I use a lot of the old Minolta AF lenses, but pricy for an amateur. I'm glad Sony is still supporting A-mount, with the A77 and A99.

5. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I assume that there are still a lot of A-mount users out there, enough for Sony to justify the occasional new body or lens. And reading between the lines, I am thinking they are mostly updating with some of the existing technologies in the E-mount line.

6. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Looks very impressive - and priced aggressively.

7. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    and with a new menu system, that hopefully will migrate to the A7 mark 3 models

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    In the same price and spec bracket as the A7R2, so A-mount users won't have to feel left out of the latest technology. :thumbup:

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    A relief for a lot of A-Mount users who thought the system was dead, (kind of like the feelings APS-C users had before the A6300), but quite a premium price.

10. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I really enjoyed how they showed the time line of camera releases since the birth of Alpha. And then right before announcing the a99ii they said "here's to the next ten years". Gave me a nice feeling like no one is getting abandoned or forgotten about. E OR A

• Like Like x 2
  11. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    The price seems very competitive for the performance. I certainly cant think of a camera that has better specs at a lower price point.

I am not really convinced many people will buy it - it sort of reminds me of the Samsung NX1.

Anyway looking forward to some of the tech making its way to the A7 series.

12. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    OUCH!

maybe I missed a part of the full spec sheet i've only looked it over glancingly, what specifically are you excited seeing coming to the a7 series? I'm more than excited for that NORMAL sized battery

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  13. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Dual card slots :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. POPHEIZ

POPHEIZ New to TalkEmount

Jan 26, 2016
    EARL
    I might be wrong but I believe not all a mount lens are compatible with full frame body such as a99. I have an 18-250 which was listed as a lens for a99 camera

15. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    SAL18250 is an APS-C lens. Though, it would work as crop mode but not as full frame.

16. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Could Sony re-do all of our menus to match with a firmware release?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That should be possible, except for hardware limitations of a particular model, e.g. mirror lock-up on an A7 :). Most probably Sony will not do that because 1) they've always had the policy of not updating older models with improvements made for current models and 2) Sony might be reluctant to alienate users by providing them with a different menu structure. Time and time again people complain that, for instance, minimum shutter speed for auto ISO hasn't been implemented in firmware updates for older models. Fuji shows that it's possible to offer new functions for previous models, they set a very good example IMHO.

I'd gladly pay for firmware updates if they would be provided with useful additional functions instead of paying for apps.

18. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    It looks like a logical step to me: they carry over a lot of technology from the A7R2 to their new A-mount flagship, showing their commitment to the A-mount products.

19. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

In the pro camera category, yes the price is competitive. For many of us though, it is way too much to spend.

20. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    NX1 was also the first thing that came to my mind as well! It was a phenomenal camera two years ago and still is today, but nobody bought it in meaningful numbers. It also targetted the spec sheet crowd.

A-mount has some lovely glass - 85 1.4 planar, 135 1.8 and the STF135 spring to mind.
    I have to admit I'm a little head scratching after this move, but in some way it makes sense.

The A99ii is an interesting development but again it looks like it is an exercise in marketing spec sheet details that may actually have a negative impact on image making.
    A case in point is that all (lossy or compressed mode) continuous shooting on recent A7 series and A6300 have resulted in the camera switching to 12bit raw. Perhaps not as big a deal, but if you are after the penultimate in image quality, Jim Kasson has an article that demonstrates why this is bad for bracketing and HDR. A7Rii only 12-bit Raw in Continuous Shooting Mode?: Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review Yet the a99ii has been pimped as having 14 bit raw and then on the next slide , it does 12fps with AE and AF tracking ;) They fail to mention that any form of continuous drops the camera back to 12bit/11bit. It's not quite the same as doing 14bit with AE and AF at 12fps, however it makes sense given what we know of the same sensor and it's performance in the A7rii and also with respect to the write speed limits with the fastest UHS1 cards.

My personal opinion on the Sony stuff is that FE is technically great but it falls short for me in a number of areas that I have only really discovered/encountered while trying to get paid work going.
    While some amazing glass has recently been announced for the A7-series, I find that the bodies themselves are not built to pro-grade specs. Ergonomically a 5d, 6d or d750 is much more comfortable to hold with a 70-200 2.8 or 24-70 2.8 lens while also offering considerably more rugged build quality and weather sealing. From that perspective, a-mount still offers a wider selection of lenses across focal lengths that pro's use e.g a native 70-400, 500mm , STF speciality lenses, etc... Yes you can adapt to the a7 series but I've never experienced performance as good as using native lenses on native bodies and hate adapters.
    I personally find the A99ii a lot more interesting than the A7rii or A7ii (have both and do not enjoy either) from a bigger size, improved build quality/sealing , better battery and dual memory card slots perspective. Its the camera I'd prefer to take on a working shoot for these reasons. If Sony released an updated lens road map, better Pro support it would make sense for the working pro to use the a-mount alongside FE with a higher quality LAEA3 adapter.