• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

New C3 owner

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Followup after about a week or so of ownership and I am finding the NEX to be an incredibly fun camera to use. It has its flaws like anything else but I haven't has this much fun taking pictures in a long long time. I like my m43 gear and there isn't anything like the P14 or P20 available for the NEX but the based on my experience thus far with the C3 has been an eye opener.

Olympus seems to have closed the gap in sensor performance with the E-M5 and if that sensor makes it way into the would be great. That said, I have a GH2 and from the samples I have seen it's IQ is very similar to the E-M5. The E-M5 has less dynamic range and less noise at higher ISO but they are still relatively close. The GH2 IMHO can't touch the C3 in terms of IQ so I am having a hard time believing the E-M5 can be that much closer. That is one of the amazing things about the C3 is how startling the IQ is for what is essentially a consumer oriented camera not much larger than the battery charger for my GH2.

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7470612760/" title="Gort by dixeyk, on Flickr">
7470612760_467157d516_b.jpg
   ---            
"680" height="1024" alt="Gort"></a>
NEX-C3 with Hexanon 40/1.8 @f4

The C3 is a VERY fun camera to use legacy glass with. I can't remember enjoying the process of using a manual focus lens on a digital camera this much. The C3 reminds me of using my old Konica S3. Small, limited functionality (shutter priority), fast sharp lens (Hexanon 38/1.7) and constant delight at seeing the results.

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Nice to see you enjoying the C3 & focus peaking! :cool:

Just tried the Sunny Weather setting for the LCD...very nice. The screen was easily visible outside in the sun. Well done Sony. Ever since the NEX came out I was very reluctant to try it out. I played with it a few times in the stores and came away not particularly impressed but now that I have been spending time with it I believe it is time for my helping of crow.

JamesBill

New to TalkEmount
Why is the C3 'the ugly duckling of the NEX line'?

I am a Canon DSLR user that had a weak moment on eBay last night and bought a C3 body. I was wanting a small camera with good IQ and at the price I got the C3 for it kinda makes it look foolish to drop 370 on a Canon S100.

I haven't seen one in person (woops) but on spec it looks like a fantastic camera for the price.

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Why is the C3 'the ugly duckling of the NEX line'?

I am a Canon DSLR user that had a weak moment on eBay last night and bought a C3 body. I was wanting a small camera with good IQ and at the price I got the C3 for it kinda makes it look foolish to drop 370 on a Canon S100.

I haven't seen one in person (woops) but on spec it looks like a fantastic camera for the price.

I was just poking a bit of fun because the 5n is the darling the NEX fans because it has 1080 video, touch screen and can use the Sony EVF. The C3 is also oriented more toward the causal user. Personally none of those things really made much of a difference to me so IMHO the C3 is a tremendous bargain. The IQ is wonderful and I have been having the best time with it. About the only criticism I have (and it's really more of a caution) is that the NEX C3 is really tiny so make sure it sits comfortably in the hand. I find it comfortable.

IMHO it is a truly terrific camera.

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Yes - It sure is! - Just might want to keep an eye on the battery use though :cool: ;)

Yeah, I figured juicing up LCD probably kills the battery so I use it sparingly but man is it ever nice to have that option when you really need it.

JamesBill

New to TalkEmount
I was just poking a bit of fun because the 5n is the darling the NEX fans because it has 1080 video, touch screen and can use the Sony EVF. The C3 is also oriented more toward the causal user. Personally none of those things really made much of a difference to me so IMHO the C3 is a tremendous bargain. The IQ is wonderful and I have been having the best time with it. About the only criticism I have (and it's really more of a caution) is that the NEX C3 is really tiny so make sure it sits comfortably in the hand. I find it comfortable.

IMHO it is a truly terrific camera.

Oh good. You had me scared for a bit. I haven't done much research into the NEX line.

Size and handling aren't an issue because this is a compact replacement for me. The high ISO performance compared to a compact sensor is unreal.

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
Oh good. You had me scared for a bit. I haven't done much research into the NEX line.

Size and handling aren't an issue because this is a compact replacement for me. The high ISO performance compared to a compact sensor is unreal.

No need to worry James, the collective experience here is that - it's the NEX sensor that packs the punch. You might be even pleasantly surprised about the high ISO performance even compared to some DSLRs...

Welcome to the NEX family btw :)

JamesBill

New to TalkEmount
it's the NEX sensor that packs the punch. You might be even pleasantly surprised about the high ISO performance even compared to some DSLRs...

Totally agree on both points. Plus it isn't like this thing is bare bones. Peaking mode focus, nearly 1 million dot articulating screen, APS-C, all in such a small package.

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Totally agree on both points. Plus it isn't like this thing is bare bones. Peaking mode focus, nearly 1 million dot articulating screen, APS-C, all in such a small package.

It really is a pretty cool little camera. The IQ is quite the eye opener.

RT_Panther

TalkEmount Veteran
smaller sensor larger price. No thanks

You stated: "The high ISO performance compared to a compact sensor is unreal."

Thus my comment about the RX100 was in respect to the RX100 performance being above other compacts :cool:

JamesBill

New to TalkEmount
You stated: "The high ISO performance compared to a compact sensor is unreal."

Thus my comment about the RX100 was in respect to the RX100 performance being above other compacts :cool:

cough Canon G1 X cough

Did mention I was a Canon fanboy? Apologies in adavance:p

Latest threads

Top Bottom