1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New C3 owner

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by dixeyk, Jun 18, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I just picked up a "new to me" C3 to go along with my m43 gear. While i love my m43 lenses (and my GH2 for video) I have long had a soft spot for using legacy glass on digital bodies. I use EVFs on my m43 gear and while it works pretty well I really became intrigued when a co-worker brought in his NEX3. At first I didn't care for the feel of the small body but I warmed up to it after playing with it a bit. So, I noticed a lightly used C3 for sale and since I had some balance on my PayPal I decided"what the heck" and went for it.

I am planning to use my much loved Hexanon 24/2.8, 50/1.4 and maybe my Helios 44M on it. I know zilch about NEX cameras but am looking forward to learning. I don't have the C3 yet. I figure it'll be here in a week or so. I'm now planning to go order a Konica AR to NEX adapter, LCD protector, body cap (doesn't have one) and Gordy strap. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

2. Bolampau

Bolampau TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 22, 2012
    Lincolnshire, England
    Paul
    Hi Dixeyk,
    welcome to the forum and glad you had a "what the heck" moment, it sounds like it paid off!
    Cheers,
    Paul

3. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Thanks, looking forward to getting to know the C3.

4. Ray Vardy

Ray Vardy TalkEmount Regular

Welcome and hope you enjoy the C3.

5. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Welcome to the NEX family, dixeyk! :)

My first SLR was a Konica FS-1 which came with a Hexanon 24mm f/2.8 and a Hexanon 135mm f/2.8!! I really really miss those lenses. I didn't know how good they were until I sold my Konica gear because the body was holding me back. I was especially very fond of that Hexanon 24mm.... still am, I suppose.

6. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Hi and welcome dixeyk

It sounds like you're gonna have heaps of fun with your legacy gear. We're looking forward to the images taken with your combo :)

7. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Yeah, I think so. I cut my teeth using little compact RFs like the Konica Auto S3 and Olympus 35RC so I am looking at the NEX-C3 with my Konica 24 as sort of a digital interpretation of that ame idea. Easy to carry around, great optics and fun to use. Like anything it'll take some getting used to but then again everything in life is like that. Looking forward to sharing the journey.

8. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    The C3 arrived and I am very VERY impressed. It may be the ugly duckling of the NEX line but as a digital back for my Hexanons it is really pretty great. It's small, feels well made and the focus peaking is wonderful. After the battery charges I'll take it out and play.

9. Ray Vardy

Ray Vardy TalkEmount Regular

Being my only camera and new to photography I guess my perspective will be different to yours. I'm enjoying mine more and more each time I use it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

10. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin

Not so different, I think the NEX is a blast and super simple to use. I really appreciate a camera gets out of my way while I'm making an image. I'll post something soon

11. JimR

JimR TalkEmount Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Jim
    The C3 is my first mirrorless also and I love it. I want to upgrade soon, just can decide between the 5n and 7. Cost may just decide it for me.

12. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Very impressed with the C3 thus far. If I wasn't convinced about NEX IQ before I am now. It is really pretty startling when you first see it. As for the C3 itself...smallish in the hand but reasonably comfortable. It will benefit greatly form a wrist strap as opposed to the more traditional neck strap. I wish the LCD were bigger but other than those two things I really have very little to complain about. It is a terrific digital back for legacy lenses. The major controls like ISO, exposure compensation and metering require no menu diving. I wish I could figure out how to to AEL but I suspect it doesn't have it (but I can live without it). Focus peaking is terrific and after just a few ours I wonder how I ever managed without it.

As far as C3 vs 5n...I'm not a huge fan of touch screens and using MF lenses really doesn't really cry out for a touch screen anyway. I am sure the 5n is superior on a number of levels but at least for my needs the C3 is giving me everything that I wanted.

13. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    A few shots from yesterday. Very impressive. The colors a bit over the top but I had it set to VIVID. I think I'll try the default color next and see what that look like.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7458342592/" title="Pink Sharp by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7458342592_3d544020e4_b. "1024" height="680" alt="Pink Sharp"></a>
    Hexanon 24/2.8 @f5.6

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7458344844/" title="By the Door by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7458344844_1472e0daf0_b. "1024" height="680" alt="By the Door"></a>
    Hexanon 24/2.8 @f5.6

14. Bolampau

Apr 22, 2012
    Lincolnshire, England
    Paul
    Hey Dixeyk,
    I love that first shot!
    Cheers,
    Paul

15. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Thanks Bolampau I still find myself a bit taken aback by it. It has a wonderful 3D quality to it that just caught me by surprise. I just realized however that I shot with that with the Hexanon 50/1.4 and not the 24/2.8...

16. Bolampau

Apr 22, 2012
    Lincolnshire, England
    Paul
    Not only are the colours vivid but the bokeh in the background is great too and acts as a nice contrast!

17. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Love those Hexanons. My 50/1.4 and 24/2.8 have lovely bokeh (not as nice with my 40/1.8). I am excited to try out my Super Takumars as well.

18. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    wow beautiful photos, the hexagon bokeh it's very nice, love it, I love the first picture, the petals of the flower looks as if it were paper.

19. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7470611790/" title="Pastellar by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7470611790_5a2cd0e90a_b. "1024" height="680" alt="Pastellar"></a>
    Hexanon 40/1.8 @f5.6

The NEX and Hexanons seem to get along quite well.

20. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I've had the C3 now for a few days and it continues to impress. The small size takes a little getting used to coming from my GH2. The C3 is not much bigger than my Panasonic ZS3 (sans lens). The LCD is bright and sharp and my only complaint is that I wish it were a bit larger. In use however the size doesn't seem to be a problem and focus peaking makes working with manual focus lenses a breeze. I'd say about 90% of the sets are in focus (not to mention sharp but that's more a function of the Hexanons). On my GH2 I cod get the same level of keepers beause of the EVF but not nearly as easily. Using just the rear LCD I couldn't get anywhere near that kind of keeper rate using legacy glass on any of my m43 bodies. Needless to say I am absolutely thrilled.

I switched the color mode to the default and I think the colors have a wonderful pleasing color without being too saturated. Much like Olympus cameras it seems to have a bit of trouble with bright red/magenta flowers looking overdone but generally speaking the color is very very good. The operation of the camera is quick and everything seems to be where I need it. I don't love way the Sony menus work but I have never been a fan of the way Sony UIs work so I'm not particularly surprised by that. IQ is terrific. It is heads and shoulders above what I am used to even with the GH2. The DR is wonderful and I am constantly surprised at how freakin' great the images are from such a compact package. I I have been so pleased with the Hexanons that I am going to buy an m42 adapter to use my Super Takumars with the C3 as well. I have a feeling that my Super Tak 50/1.4 and the C3 are going to become a real favorite (the Super Taks have such an amazing tactile feel).

I bought the NEX as a second camera to play with legacy glass while keeping my m43 cameras as my main gear. The last few days have been such a blast that i am starting to rethink that strategy a bit. I could easily see making the NEX my main camera and keeping one of my m43 bodies paired with my Panasonic 14/2.5 and 20/1.7 primes for when I want AF.