1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New Born baby, Looking for a versatile and sharp lens

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Moshe, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Moshe

Moshe TalkEmount Regular

May 25, 2013
    Good morning everyone :)

I am in search of a sharp, native e mount and versatile lens.

I am using a F3 which I truly enjoy using, especially in Manual mode. With the arrival of my new born baby I am hoping to buy a lens that is better than the kit lens 18-55.

This takes me to my next question which is, is there a way or techniques to make my pictures sharper? I feel they are kind of soft at times.

The lenses I have in mind are:

Sigma 19mm
    Sigma 30mm
    Sony 50mm 1.8 OSS

Of those 3 which one would be the best one as far as IQ, Contrast, Saturation, Sharpness, etc.

The shots are going to be taken about 80% indoor and 20% outdoor. So fast lens is important.

I would also be taking pictures of my family when they come over or we go over to their house.

Would you recommend any other ones that I might be missing?

Thanks in advanced!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TalkNEX mobile app

2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I think that the 35 1.8 would be a better choice, it focuses quicker than the 50.

The sigma duo will not be fast enough for indoor low light unless you want to shoot with a flash or 800 plus ISO.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

3. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    It's 1 am here so I guess good morning to you too.

The Sigma 30 is supposed to be really, really sharp and that focal length is very adaptable. I have the SEL 50 and think it would be very good for shots of the newborn especially in low light indoors but it's a little tight for showing someone holding the baby for example.

If you can find a good deal on the SEL 35 1.8, I think that would be a great choice.

4. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Deadbear beat me to it.

5. Moshe

Moshe TalkEmount Regular

May 25, 2013
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

So both of you agree that a 30mm would be the most versatile focal length and that lens in particular would be the best for color saturation, contrast, sharpness, etc?

As far as the lens that you guys are referring, is that the zeiss one?

I read something about Zeiss toute, is that a new line or same as the one you guys are referring to?

Thanks in advance guys

6. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    The sony 35 1.8. Retail is about 450.00

The zeiss 32 or 24 is about 1000.00

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

7. Moshe

Moshe TalkEmount Regular

May 25, 2013
    Oh I'm so relieved that it wasn't the Zeiss the one you guys were referring to.

Awesome! I will be ordering the 35mm 1.8 then :)

Thank you guys for the suggestions

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Sounds like you made up your mind, just will ad a couple of thoughts.

The 19 Sigma would be my choice if you are planning on a lot of intimate shots. 30/35 can get a bit tricky depending on how much room you have to maneuver around your place.

The 35 SEL however has the advantage of better low light, just at a higher cost.

9. Moshe

Moshe TalkEmount Regular

May 25, 2013
    Thanks for the suggestion. That's the one I was favoring more. That makes me want to research some more.

I am going to look at sample images from both and see which one I prefer more.