1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New blogpost you might want to check

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by nianys, Oct 24, 2012.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I made this post about my current legacy glass addiction. Written tongue in cheek. Or is it ?

2. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    About 3 1/2 years ago when the EP1 came out, there was a big rush at legacy lenses. It was really funny, because around that time, these lenses cost like $20. They shot up over the following year, sometimes to around $100 (talking the common fast 50s), and now they've settled down into the $50-80 range generally. It was very funny, as people were dragging out their camera bags from their closets, and we all had to relearn about radioactive glass!

I still like manual lenses, though MF gets old after a while, but it's great to learn their individual characteristics. Have you tried Takumars yet? So sweet to focus (though crazy soft at 1.4 on the 50). I tried the MD line, because many people raved about them, but I never got along with them. One of my favorites was the OM 50mm 2.0 macro. Big lens, but really nice and versatile.

I've just purchased a Canon FL 55 1.2, which is a big chunk of (radioactive) glass. The FL line has such a nicer focus ring than the FDs, IMO, though there are a broader array of FD lenses. The downside of the FL line, along with the FD breech mount, is the two part mount. It's a pain.

Around 2010, there was even a CCTV lens craze. I can't remember the name of the place off the top of my head, but there's a discount warehouse in the US that moved a lot of CCTV lenses, but you have to be careful on the mounts. There was some real nice stuff in the 25/1.4 CCTV lenses, but they struggled to cover the m43 image circle. They're even tougher on ASP-C. I just sold my Fujian 35/1.7, which was my favorite CCTV lens, but while it looked good on m43, it's too weak to the edges for APS-C crop.

I've settled into my Voigtlander 40/1.4 (tried the CV35/1.4 -- not impressed. The 40's nicer, IMO). I've also got a CV75 2.5 I'm thinking of selling. And a couple of FD lenses -- a 50mm macro and a 50mm 1.4 that I had purchased before I came into the CV40. I never tried the actual Leica lenses -- I'm too cheap -- but I hear it's hit or miss because of the flange back distance, so maybe not worth risking anyway.

Happy lens shopping! You and Kevin seem to continue the pioneering spirit in legacy glass!

3. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Have you tried any 55mm - 58mm lens?

I've tried and liked the following:

* Minolta MC 55mm f/1.7;
    * Minolta MC 58mm f/1.4;
    * Konica Hexanon 57mm f/1.4;
    * Pentax SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8;
    * Vivitar 55mm f/2.8 Macro.

All inexpensive, I got them for < $50. The 55 - 58mm focal length works great on APS-C for portrait.

4. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Thanks a lot for the thorough contribution ! Manual focus got "old" after a couple days on m4/3 because of the lack of Peaking, but truly on the NEX, I have yet to tire of it. And since daily practice gets you to a point of pretty sweet proficiency, I have a hunch this whole business may go on still a bit for me. Furthermore, native AF E-mont lenses have yet to be created that would make me happy. I expect to be reasonably happy with the 16-50 as walk-around lens. But curiously, as pretty immune as I am to retro looking camera bodies (Fuji X line, E-M5, leave bit a bit cold in their looks), I'm head over heels the REAL thing, for lenses. Maybe it's the authenticity, but the pleasure of handling and operating those lenses is very deep.
    Have you received your FL 55/1.2 yet ?? I JUST ordered one (2 days ago, it won't ship until tomorrow and should be here next week). How does it handle ? How does it perform ?

5. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I have an FL 55/1.2 on the way. The only 55 I had was the wonderful Auto Reflecta 1.7, which I was clueless enough to sell (had a great copy). I'm buying it again sometime soon. I'm awaiting an MD 50/1.7 lens, just to see how I like the MD line. I also have an opportunity to lay hands on the mythical Rokkor MD 85/2. This one is going to be VERY hard to resist ;)

6. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I love the post. Very funny. The true measure of a lens addict. FWIW I just picked up an OM 50/1.8 MIJ (with NEX adapter) and am looking at 35/2.5 and 50/1.4 FL lenses (curse you...ENABLER!)

7. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I always keep an eye out for the OM 50/2 macro. That is one niiiice lens. I'm getting an MD adapter (got a 50/1.7, 50/1.4 and 50/3.5 macro in a trade). I'm interested to see what they are like. They are the older MC versions. They feel nice in the hand. Not Takumar nice but better than the Konicas. Remains to be seen how well they do otherwise. The Leica lens I would try (mostly because it's not crazy expensive) is the Summicron-C 40/2 or the Minolta version M-Rokkor 40/2.

8. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    AHAHH !! The FL bug has bitten, lol. Still haven't received your MD adapter ?!
    I'm hoping to get my FL 50/1.8 before the week end. Until then, the PEN is a total dream. It's PL25 good, in a different way, of course, but on par for awesomeness...

9. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Thanks, that was a great little read! I only wish I was good enough a photographer as you to justify going out to get more and more (and more) lenses!

10. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Nonsense ! I'm probably not a better photog' than you, just way weaker willed ;)

11. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Ha! After the last two lenses, my wife pointedly asked me "And when are you going to use them?" She was right of course, I had to ban myself from any new lenses until I take my 24 for a good spin, unfortunately I stuck to my 50 and LE this latest trip. :(

Now your pics of all those shiny lenses got my mouth watering!

12. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    All you have to do is some wife training, lol. My husband has reached the point where he doesn't pay ANY attention whatsoever to what's being either delivered, or packaged and shipped. I called the photo store right under his nose this morning to pay the remainder on my NEX6, and he totally ignored it.

13. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    The FL55/1.2 is interesting.

It's big. Quite big. and heavy. An 85/1.4 from Rokinon is bigger, but this is still big. The focus ring is like a Takumar. Very nice (at least mine is. I'm sure it depends on condition). Aperture is in full stop increments, sadly (I prefer half stops, but oh well). I believe it's radioactive, as mine is a little yellowish, unless I'm imagining it.

I've only used it indoors, but I will say at 1.2, it's sharper than my former Takumar 50/1.4 and 1/4. At one click down from 1.2 (not sure if that's 1.4 or 1.8 -- it's not labeled) it's pretty good. At 2.0 it's very, very nice. I haven't done any formal testing, nor taken it outside, where I suspect it might suffer a bit. I suppose I should test it against my FD 50/1.4. I was really after the wide-open stuff even if a bit soft, and it doesn't disappoint. The bokeh with spectral highlights has been pretty nice, and it's quite useable indoors at 1.2. I don't know if it's a long-term keeper for me (mainly because of size), but I wanted to give it a whirl.

Let us know what you think of yours once you get it.

14. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Thanks a lot for your impressions, mjust got informed mine left Latvia today, should here mid week (next week). My NEX6 also hit the store this morning, but due to not living in Paris, it'll take a few days to get here... I just received a humble FL 50/1.8 and the build, look and handling is VERY nice, exactly what I wanted !! IQ seems on par with the FD equivalent, which would solve my love/hate issue with this lens. Still testing though...