1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New beginnings, from Nikon to NEX. Maybe!!!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Mpshah, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Mpshah

Mpshah New to TalkEmount

Jul 6, 2013
    Hi guys,

I've been reading a lot about the mirrorless cameras lately. Initially I started off with the D40x and then moved onto the D90. Currently my primary camera is the D7000 which I'm really happy with. But lately the sheer size and weight that come along with has got me thinking about these NEX devices. I'm not a pro photographer and do not generate an income from my shots but I'm truly a enthusiast who loves capturing moments of life.

So I'm stuck at deciding which NEX to get, the 6 or 7? I'd appreciate if you guys can help me make this decision.

Cheers.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    First, welcome to the forum. :)

Which body you pick is really comes down to ergonomics. If you aren't printing large pics and aren't a pro pick the one that has the features you want the most.

One thing to consider is the 24 megapixel NEX 7 has more issues using UWA lenses than the 16 megapixel bodies do. Unfortunately I'm one of those lucky souls that has color shift/vignetting with a 5N, though that seems to be rare.

Really, which one has the controls you want and which one fits your hand better? That's the one you want to get. :)

3. Mpshah

Mpshah New to TalkEmount

Jul 6, 2013
    Thank you for the warm welcome.

I appreciate your advice and agree that in the end it all boils down to my needs and requirements.
    Like I mentioned before I'm not a pro so having all the bells n whistles is not going to do me any good (at least for now). And judging from the specs of the 7 it definitely looks like a pro camera. I'm gonna have a look at both of them this weekend and decide.

Thanks once again.

Cheers.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Hi and welcome

Nowadays mirrorless are providing high quality photos without the added bulk. I'm sure one of the guys will be able to help you decide.

5. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    Perhaps you might want to know what you're expecting with your new purchase before deciding which camera to choose. Do you want bigger MP, fast AF, small body, ergonomic design, more dials, etc.
    Sites like snapsort.com can help you with comparing camera features.

6. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    I fairly recently bought a NEX 7 to complement my DSLR.

The deciding factor for me was image quality. I use manual legacy lenses with individual charactetistics. The 24mp sensor of the 7 captured the differences of these lenses perfectly.

The NEX 3, 5 and 6 also did a good job but in my opinion, they captured a little less of the finest nuances. So there was an slight aspect of sameness to them.

But they are all very capable cameras and I'm sure you will be happy with any of them.

7. Mpshah

Mpshah New to TalkEmount

Jul 6, 2013
    A few things that I'm looking for:

Fast AF
    More dials for Manual mode
    Small-Medium body

8. Mpshah

Mpshah New to TalkEmount

Jul 6, 2013
    How is the low-light performance on the 7? I've been reading that ISO is much better on the 6 compared to the 7. This is a very important factor for me since I I shoot indoors a lot.

9. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Can't really answer. I rarely shoot over ISO 800 on any camera.

10. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    No NEX camera has particularly fast AF, especially not compared to a Nikon D7000 (says someone who has owned a D300s). Single-shot AF is adequate for me, but not blazingly fast. Continuous AF is nowhere near to what a DSLR can do, let alone a high-performance one like a D70000.

More dials? Easy, pick a NEX-7, it has one more dial than the NEX-6. Both bodies are very similar in size, if not the same.

For comparisons between cameras I find the dpreview studion comparison tool quite helpful. In my opinion the difference between the 6 and the 7 is not that dramatic. I use the NEX-6 sometimes at ISO 3200 for indoor family shots and I'm quite happy with the results. In my experience faces in a high ISO shot are difficult for any camera because the skin tones are all too easily polluted by color noise which looks very ugly to me, but as said the NEX-6 handles this very well in raw with post-processing in Lightroom with the default noise reduction settings.

11. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    Seems like NEX-6 is the one for you since it got hybrid AF (supposedly faster than CDAF on NEX-7) and 2 dials (though NEX-7 have tri-navi dial system that gives more direct access to set apperture & shutter speed). As others have said the body size are more or less the same.

12. Mpshah

Mpshah New to TalkEmount

Jul 6, 2013
    Alright folks, I've bitten the bullet and bought the Nex-6. Still haven't gotten the time to play around with it but thank you everyone for your honest and positive thoughts.

13. jcdoss

jcdoss TalkEmount Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    Congrats!

Sent from my MB855 using TalkNEX mobile app

14. justa

justa TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    Excellent I've just down a similar thing - changed from a d5100 to a 6 and I'm enjoying it so far - the picture quality swung it for me and the fact that despite being tiny I liked the handling of the 6 - especially compared to he Olympus OMD I looked at.

The only downside for me so far is the auto focusing seems very slow but I'm sure I will get used to it.

15. Mpshah

Mpshah New to TalkEmount

Jul 6, 2013
    Alright so I've played around with it and TBH at the moment I'm missing the D7000. Not the size but the simplicity (maybe coz I know where everything is) of the D7000 is an important factor. I'm gonna give the Nex-6 another week or so.

16. justa

justa TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    You should give it a bit longer ! I'm really starting to like my little nex !

17. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    I also switched from the nikon d7000 to the nex 6. The menu fathom the nex cost me more time than the nikon.

18. Mpshah

Mpshah New to TalkEmount

Jul 6, 2013
    Yup for me as well.

19. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    I found the switch from Dslr to nex difficult at first because of the menu system but after 4 month the menus are second nature. It's will never be my 7D but it's a lot easier to carry around and the IQ is great.

20. LightCentric

LightCentric TalkEmount Regular

Mar 17, 2013
    Saginaw, MI
    Andy Richards
    I am one who was fortunate enough to keep my Nikon DSLR system (D800 FF) and have a Nex-6. It is truly the best of both worlds. The Nikon, with "pro" lenses is like the MF or even LF camera I never owned. Incredible IQ and versatility, but inconvenient to shoot daily. The Nex-6 (which I think is the IQ equivalent to the D7000 I owned for a short time) is a joy to use and carry. I am impressed with its usability and its image quality. Don't give it up. It takes some getting used to, but it is worth investing some time with it.