1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New and very happy NEX user

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by Rich, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Hi all.

I'm an editorial and stock photographer, amongst other things, from the South of England, Wiltshire to be precise.

I bought my NEX 5N a couple of weeks ago to use as a pocket, walk about camera for shooting stock pictures when I couldn't be bothered with carrying a load of DSLR bodies and lenses, which is most of the time these days!

I have been using the Fuji X PRO 1 quite a lot, but unfortunately it has a couple of technical issues, not least of which is poor RAW conversion support from Adobe which is limiting its use in some areas for me at the moment. I bought the NEX after quite a bit of research as a sort of stop gap whilst the XP1 issues are being sorted out. After the first day shooting with the NEX I fell in love with it and now cant put it down!
    It fills the gap and some.
    Its a superb little camera. Nails focus and exposure every time. Over 1000 shots and no deletions for missed focus or poor exposure whatsoever. More than can be said for the Fuji at 3 times + the price.
    It literally goes everywhere with me.

Unfortunately I was not impressed with the 18-55 kit lens that came with it, maybe I had a bad copy, I don't know. I bought the 19mm and 30mm Sigmas and the system really took off for me, particularly with the 30mm which stays on the body most of the time.

I am so impressed with it that I am seriously considering expanding into the NEX6 and the Zeiss 24mm. I wont sell my 5N though!

Happy to be a part of this forum, there seems to be a lot of good information shared here.

All the best.

Rich.

2. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Welcome aboard :)

3. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    welcome to the group, we hope to share some of your pictures soon, Greetings

4. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Welcome Rich !
    Beware, you've fallen in with a bunch of rabid manual lenses usersn and it's a VERY contagious addiction.
    Don't say you ain't been warned !

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Welcome to the board. You'll find like minded folk here.

Oh yeah- post some pics, it's a rule. Ok, it isn't but it should be. ;)

6. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    : D

7. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Welcome, rich! :)

There's really something special about the 5N I think. I ended up with one almost by accident and this little wee camera had singlehandedly re-awakened my love for photography! I share the same love you have for it - hard to put down... :)

8. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    :( I miss mine too much

9. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Thanks for the welcome everyone, much appreciated I can assure you.

I haven't dabbled with manual lenses so far, I may get into that a bit next year, we'll see. The annoying thing is, I had some good Leica glass a few years back but I sold it all!!!! :(
    Anyway, at least I know I have a good source of information and help on this forum if I do go that way.

Thanks again.

All the best.

Rich.

10. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Welcome from me too ;)
    Looking forward for some photos

11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Welcome, hope to see some nice photos soon.