New A7S III or A9 II rumors

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I'd probably end up accidentally pushing those buttons that are next to the lens mount on the Nikon.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I'd probably end up accidentally pushing those buttons that are next to the lens mount on the Nikon.
They're customizable function buttons. They're pretty hard to accidentally press. Olympus and other brands utilize similar buttons in the same position. They're quite handy to have, especially if you're shooting with your eye against the EVF.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I have no doubts they're handy. I just know how my fingers are around buttons that shouldn't be pushed. :blush:

Drd1135

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Steve
I think the shadow next to Nikon’s grip obscures the space. All the reviews I have read talk abut more space on the Nikon so I assume they are not all wrong.

addieleman

Passionate amateur
Real Name
Ad Dieleman

firemist

TalkEmount Veteran
The A9 is definitely a one-trick pony for sports and PJ. The rest of us mortals should be happy with the A7 series. I think the A7R3 represents the best bang for the buck at the moment. Would love to have the weather sealing of the A9 though....

addieleman

Passionate amateur
Real Name
Ad Dieleman
The A9 is definitely a one-trick pony for sports and PJ. The rest of us mortals should be happy with the A7 series. I think the A7R3 represents the best bang for the buck at the moment. Would love to have the weather sealing of the A9 though....
Much to the surprise of a Sony rep at their booth in a fair, I borrowed an A9 for a few hours to try out how it would do street photography. Even an A7m3 needs a noticeable delay to acquire focus when you point the camera at a subject, the A9's AF felt like it's instantaneous. When I'd want to do that kind of photography, I'd really favour an A9, so the A9 is not only for sports and wildlife; capturing toddlers would be a relevant use case too IMHO.

Drd1135

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Steve
I was hoping that the A9 Mark II would have a 36 MP sensor with a better dynamic range and the A7Rm4's EVF. Neither is the case, so for now I'm not tempted to upgrade, neither to this A9m2 or any other Sony FF camera.
I think the A9 ii stayed at 24 MP for the same reason it has enhanced connectivity. It really is designed for pros who need to move many images very quickly over the net. 36 MP would be more of a hindrance than a help. OTOH, the A9 will hopefully drop in price for us regular Joes and Janes. I wonder if a used one in five years will still be faster than a new A7 vi? :whistling:

Last edited:

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
And more MP would also likely have performance impacts - fps, time to empty buffers, etc. Maybe it could all be addressed with with higher-performance electronics, but that has a price, and could cause its own set of issues with unacceptable things like heat dissipation problems. They probably did the most feasible (to them anyway) thing by keeping it at 24MP. And I don't think you want to take a lot of risks with your flagship sports camera with the Olympics looming in the near future.

Drd1135

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Steve
And more MP would also likely have performance impacts - fps, time to empty buffers, etc. Maybe it could all be addressed with with higher-performance electronics, but that has a price, and could cause its own set of issues with unacceptable things like heat dissipation problems. They probably did the most feasible (to them anyway) thing by keeping it at 24MP. And I don't think you want to take a lot of risks with your flagship sports camera with the Olympics looming in the near future.
Cropping may not be as important either since the users of this body will have the big gun lenses. It makes me feel good to speculate on the features of a camera I couldn't even think of buying.

Ziggy99

TalkEmount Veteran
The 9 II is supposed to have the same body as the 7R IV.

I handled the latter at a tog conference with the 200-600mm and found there was no more room between the grip and the lens than on my 9 I and possibly a little less, ie. not all that comfy with my biggish paws.

I understand Sony wanting to stay with a small form factor but once you get a supertele on such a body, it becomes irrelevant and in fact a downside.

Great to see the new body has more tactile buttons and better bottom plate sealing though. 2 x UHS II is a good move too. On my A9 the UHS 1 slot is only used to store a spare faster card.
I'll be interested to see what the improved AF amounts to.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom