1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New A7rmk2 software release

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by adwb, Aug 28, 2016.

1. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
  2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Installed it a few days ago, didn't notice anything different so far.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    ditto

I always think a camera is faster after a firmware update, in start up, or writing, or AF, but I'm sure that's just me...

4. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    Think the update is to do with flash units

5. metalmania

metalmania TalkEmount Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    The photo review speed is really fast now. It was unbearable before.

6. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    You're right, that has improved. Unfortunately the time to show an enlarged review image is still the same 5 seconds or so (when doing raw and/or jpeg large); I use that all the time to check if focus is OK.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  7. snpr9696

snpr9696 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 8, 2016
    Joe DAgostino
    Right after my firmware update the camera locked up. I had to do the "pull the battery out" trick. Now my Vello battery grip doesn't work any longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I don't know how other camera companies compare, but Sony firmware sure seems snakebit.

9. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Just checked, my A7R2 still works with my Meike battery grip. Your Vello looks like it's the same as the Meike grip, I'm pretty sure they come from the same factory, these grips trade under various brand names like Meike, Neewer, Vello etc.

Some things to try: take out the battery for a longer time (1 minute as per the manual, maybe try 5 minutes). Or a full reset: MENU โ†’ (Setup) โ†’ [Setting Initialize Reset] โ†’ Initialize.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  10. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Well, so far it seems Sony doesn't exclude third-party batteries. In my Panasonic G1 and GH2 days I wouldn't think of getting a non-OEM battery, there was a real arms race going on between Panasonic and independent battery makers; don't know the present situation, my ยต4/3 days are long behind me :).