1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

New A7III specs released and it is a game changer!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by WestOkid, Feb 26, 2018.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Wow!!! This camera actually surpasses what I would have thought. I really don't see why anyone would buy an A9 vs 2 of these for $2000 each.

• Newly Developed Full-frame 24.2MP Back-Illuminated Exmor R™ CMOS Image Sensor with Evolved Image Processing
      [*]Wide ISO range of 100 - 51200 (expandable to ISO 50 – 204800 for still images) and 15-Stop[ii] Dynamic Range at low sensitivities
      [*]World Class AF system featuring 693 phase-detection AF points covering 93% of image area, 425 contrast AF points and fast and reliable Eye AF
      [*]Continuous Shooting at up to 10 fps[iii] with either Mechanical Shutter or Silent Shooting[iv] and full Auto Focus/Auto Exposure tracking
      [*]5-axis optical in-body image stabilisation with a 5.0 step[v] shutter speed advantage
      [*]High Resolution 4K[vi] Movie Shooting with full pixel readout and no pixel binning across full-width of full-frame sensor
      [*]The longest rated battery life of any Mirrorless camera[vii] at 710 shots[viii] per charge
      [*]Upgraded operability and functionality including addition of joystick for adjusting focus points, Dual SD Card Slots, SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.1 Gen 1) USB Type-C™ Terminal and more

Sony Alpha A7 Mark III Announced

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
  2. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2011
    So, who wants to sell me their a7ii for $500 :p  (or maybe I can find a 6D for $300)

That is a serious piece of tech just launched there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    What’s the price going to be? And the release date?

4. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    $2000 April

• Like Like x 1
  5. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Just in time for tax returns.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Yep, this new A7iii is basically a baby-A9! The only notable differences seem to be (a) the continuous shooting speed, where the A7iii goes to 10fps for mechanical or electronic shutter and the A9 could go up to 20fps (i.e., it likely has essentially the same sensor minus the stacked memory for speed); and (b) the 7 mk.3 lacks the 9’s extra drive mode dial on the left. Also, like the A7Riii, the A7iii has a PC remote port instead of an Ethernet jack.

And the main difference between the A7iii and the A7Riii is what it always has been, the resolution. Plus, it would seem on paper that the A7iii would have better AF coverage than the A7Riii.

My A7ii is feeling a little aged right now... and I’ve only had it for 7 months.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    The A7III has better IQ than A9 too with 15 stops of DR

8. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Ready to sell your A7rII?

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    :doh: :hmmm: What about you?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Question is : do I really need 42 mpx?
    If the price is actually 2000$ I will probably sell the A7R pretty soon, save for this one and keep the A7rII.

11. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Looking deeper into the specs and I see that the new A7iii has a 2.36M dot EVF (similar to the A7ii), whereas the A9 and Riii both have a 3.69M dot EVF. That is undoubtedly a big cost saver for this new more entry/mid-level model.

...not that I have any problem with my A7m2’s EVF... love it in fact.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I actually find it easier to focus manually on the a7ii then my A7rii with the same settings

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I'm sold. Rarely am I interested in buying new, but this is exactly the camera I've been waiting for! I'm going to pre-order!

• Wow Wow x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    1998 $ indeed which means 1620 Euros (excluding taxes). however compared to 2300 euros in Europe even with 10% add taxes the difference is huge.
    I will be back in the us in 3 weeks but not sure it will be released then...

15. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    Well, it seems like it hit the sweet spot for our forum :) 

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    If your going to spend 2,000 you should look into the A7rii, they are on amazon for between 2200-2399. If you want the pixels it’s another option.

With the R it’s not only the pixels. It’s a much cleaner image than the a7 sensor in my opinion. The Anti-aliasing filter makes a big difference.

17. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    Weird, some people are actually going to switch from the A7RII to the A7III. I'm a large volume shooter and the A7R series has never appealed to me. If people are switching, they probably didn't need high megapixels in the first place.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    After picking up an almost brand new A7RII for US$1599, this new A7III gets a shrug from me. Bring on the A7IV! :laugh:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    It is the camera I was waiting for, but I already caved in and got the R3. :( 

Another slight difference is the top mode dial. A7III still has the SCN mode and one less memory slot than the a9/a7rm3

20. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Watch out with the us-spec versions

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.