1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

New A7 owner here. A few questions...

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Amin Sabet, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Hi all, I tried the A7R out a few months ago but didn't end up buying at that time. I actually went to my local camera store yesterday intending to buy a Fuji X-T1 and Fuji 23mm f/1.4 but ended up walking out with a Sony A7 and Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 :D.

Some questions that I'm sure have been covered but hoping for some help:

<strike>1) When shooting in aperture priority mode, any way to set the rear four-way controller dial to something other than ISO? Even setting it to do nothing at all would be fine with me</strike>

<strike>2) Is there any way to make the AF box smaller?</strike>

3) Any way to set the minimum shutter speed for Auto ISO higher than 1/60s? I'm not confident that I can always handhold at this speed.

<strike>4) Any reason to set phase detect area to off?</strike>

5) Any reason to set s-front curtain shutter to off?

Love the camera and especially the lens so far. If it had the 5-axis IBIS from my Olympus, I'd be in heaven.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Figured out #1, 2, and 4.

3. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I am surprised to see your post, enjoy your new camera:)

Since I don't have the camera or the manual, I can answer that the min shutter speed which is fixed at 1/60sec. However you can use the manual option with auto iso. You can customize the buttons for the other options per your use.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Thanks, Serhan :)

Only other immediate "issue" I've noticed is that the camera is exposing for the highlights leading to severe subject underexposure in all of my photos today. I've never had a camera place this much importance on not blowing highlights in matrix / evaluative metering mode.

Example:

SOOC:

13983474615_faff864987_b.

After processing in LR/PS:

13983294935_dbaeba038b_b.
    DSC00035 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  5. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Yeah, stick that EV dial slightly above 0 for consistent results. As for electronic front curtain shutter, I believe it causes banding in sweep panoramas so you should switch it off then. For other uses, I've yet to see a downside.

Also, congratulations on the A7! If you never get another E-mount lens but the 55/1.8 I think you will still be very happy. To me this combo is like the RX1 for 50mm but cheaper.

• Like Like x 3
  6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    HI Amin,

I'm afraid you've already answered the questions that I could. And I agree with serhan that the best way to overcome the 1/60 sec. auto-ISO limitation is to shoot manual, unless of course you're in a situation where the light is constantly changing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I noticed that face detection meters for the detected faces, so I'll probably use that a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  8. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    The effects of electronic shutter is darkening of exposure at high speeds (half frame vignetting) & jello effect on panning. There was some photo examples, but quick search says that it is also mentioned in nex manuals:
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1259154/0
    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3596846#forum-post-52775735
    http://www.mhohner.de/newsitem2/efcs

For the underexposure, I noticed some difference in exposure with raw vs jpg, but it might be more low light eg at min shutter speed the camera choses the underexposure. The Sony dynamic range/noise graphs are very linear...

I shot Japanese dance shots w/ 55mm 1.8 wide open previous weekend and face detection showed once in a while to slow down the af as there were many faces. I should have closed it. Otherwise the af worked mostly great, a little slower then m43 but the dof is much less also...

• Like Like x 2
  9. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Amin, welcome to the club bud! :D I am loving my a7 as well and I too have been very interested in the 1/60 ISO question. In my research (quite exhaustive too) I have found it is what it is and 1/60 Auto ISO is hard coded and no way to change in settings. There was a firmware update in March that was rumored to change it to 1/80 but I believe it only does it with lenses above 100mm or so that transmit metadata to the camera. So no change on MF lenses or your FE 55mm.

The 2 techniques I use is this A) Shoot in manual, like previously stated, and leave the ISO in Auto and run with it. For most occasions this works fine as I like to shoot wide open as well and the noise is pretty well controlled on the a7 in most conditions. or B) If I see that my SS is at 1/60 I check what ISO its metering at (half press down) and then just run the ISO dial to something a few stops faster. As you adjust the dial it previews what the SS is in the lower corner. So I usually push it to something that gives me 1/125 or 1/160 and then once again, run with it.

I too was coming from the Olympus so this bothered me a bit at the beginning but once I saw that I could push the ISO pretty high and still get pretty clean results after just moderate NR in LightRoom, Im living with it. Hopefully there is another update that changes it as there are quite a few people who have complained about it. There are a few open requests about it on the Sony community board here: http://community.sony.com/t5/Join-the-Inspiration/idb-p/ideas.
    I '+1' it myself on the few topics I saw about it. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  10. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Amin, I have too ask: what were the factors that got you walking out of the store with the A7 instead of the X-T1?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Glad to have you:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  12. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    +1. Please don't switch cameras anytime soon! :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. lowincash

lowincash TalkEmount Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    Just wanted to say good choice on the camera/lens setup, this combo is killer good :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    As mentioned above, the only good solution to 3 is use manual. Set shutter to a minimum you're comfortable with, set aperture, auto ISO, and adjust exposure with the exposure comp dial. I find it actually works really well, although I would prefer customizable auto ISO settings...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    Yes, please do tell!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Okay, so more accurately I went to the camera store with the intention of probably buying the Fuji but taking another look/feel of the RX1, A7, and Nikon Df before choosing. As it turned out, they didn't have the X-T1 in stock, but I did my best to imagine which one I'd choose if they had everything. Of course the fact that they didn't have the Fuji in stock was a factor, but the main thing was that using tha A7 I remembered how great the Sony Zeiss 55 is. Also, my brother has been using his 50mm Summilux a lot lately, and that made me want a great 50. The Df was way chunkier than I thought it would be. Didn't remind me of my film Nikons (FM2) at all.

17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Thanks, Ad :). The A7 / 55 combo is a keeper for me :2thumbs:. I liked the A7R I had on loan, but I prefer the A7.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    Amin, as David already mentioned, shoot in Manual.

Set the shutter speed to your desired level - this acts like the "min shutter speed" option a lot of cameras have.
    Leave the ISO in Auto ISO.
    Change the aperture and ISO adjusts itself while shutter speed stays consistent. Just like A priority with Auto ISO and Min shutter speed.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    one feature I wish the A7 has is the ability to assign APS Crop mode as a custom function.

Would be beautiful to switch from 55mm to ~82mm with a click of a button.

• Like Like x 1
  20. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Or if it were possible to set APS-C crop for one of the memory recall modes...