New a6500

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by slothead, Apr 29, 2017.

1. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Hey Guys!
    I just sold my a6300 (thanks Pixl10) and bought an a6500 (mostly for the IBIS) and for some reason I can't remember where to find the password for the 6500 SSID that it creates for cell/tablet access. I know it's right in front of me (and I had no trouble finding it for my a5100, a6000 and a6300), but for some reason I can't find it for the 6500. Does anyone have any ideas?

... EDIT ...

OK, so I went back and checked my a6000 (which was converted to IR some years ago in case you are wondering why I have both the a6000 and the a6500), and when using the Applications function in the a6000 menu, it clearly shows the SSID as well as the password. So why doesn't the 6500 wi-fi link?

Thanks,
    Tom

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Well I figured it out, but it wasn't easy (and it may have been something I unknowingly did myself. Here is the successful process that I ended up using (in all the bloody detail):

I searched all the Sony documents I could find that seemed to contain any relationship to the process, that included the help manula the instruction manual and the NFC guide brochure (or whatever that folded-up thing is called). There was nothing in any of them that suggested where I might find the password, but they all hinted at the QR code.

I didn't want to deal with the QR codes because I don't know how they work, so one of the options was to go to the Sony store online and get another app. I tried to log into the Sony store with the camera and of course it offers you that teeny tiny keyboard made for 5 year-olds whose fingers fit the keys, but it said my password didn't work! And like a fool I tried to update my password using that teeny tiny keyboard on the monitor again ... my patience lasted about 2 minutes with that process, and I could have gone online to reset my PW but I was fully flustered beyond the point of fooling around with it any more so eI went and did something completelyh unrelated to cool myself.

Later on (the next morning (this morning), since no one had responded to my post here, I got back on it.

Now as I said I don't deal with QR codes (never have) but it seemed like my last resort so I searched the Apple App Store for something that looked like it might work and downloaded it. I don't remember the name of it but it just repeatedly sent me ads (and offered to sell me the version that eliminated the ads for $1.99) and didn't seem to give me anything that linked me to the PlayMemories helped me find the password. I deleted that QR reader and went looking for another.

I found a second QR reader and set it up to read the QR code (which by the way appears on the monitor screen during this process instead of the data that shows up on all my other alpha cameras - including the password). This time the QR reader worked (or I learned enough from the first fiasco reader to know a little more what I was doing). But the only thing that showed up on the screeen as a result of scanning the QR code was one line of gibberish.

As I looked at that line of gibberish I noted the "ILCE6500" number and thought to myself, "there has to be something here to help." Sure enough there embedded in that line of gibbereish was a "P:" followed by a bunch of upper and lower case letters that had no logical sequence. I decied to cut and past the characters that followed the "P:" and ended before some other puctuation and the "ILCE6500." I copied that stream of illogicals and went back to the camera menu to restart the wifi point.

I went through all the steps (starting the wifi, switching the iPad Wifi to the ILCE6500 SSID, etc., knowing that this cold be as much of a wild goose chase as anything else I had tried. I pasted the illogical sequence into the Password space and voila it worked! (Now of course I had to go find the PlayMemories App and go through its new line of questioning to use it - bear with it, it will eventually get there.)

In any case if anyone else gets in this rut, this procedure may at least help me recall the process to get you through it (and of course there may be other useful methods as well).

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Wow Wow x 1
  3. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Glad you got it worked out, and posted it back in case someone else runs into it. Seems like way more work than it should have been, though.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I fully agree bdbits. There has got to be a better way. I can't believe that this is what they intended.

5. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    i just turn on NFC on my One Plus 3t and tap my a6500 and it connects to the smart remote control app

6. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Unlo, what's a One Plus 3T?

7. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    This is my mobile Phone

8. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I think I have found (at least one of) the problem(s)... Apple only uses NFC for Apple Pay and from what I have read, it ONLY uses it for Apple Pay! There is no app in the Apple App Store that looks like Sony's (or the industry's) NFC logo. It could be the news I am reading is old, but I don't see an app even now on the Apple App Store that has that same logo on it. I'm still researching...

Tom

9. Hawon

Hawon TalkEmount Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Hawon
    Using the trash button shows wifi password. QR code works well too but takes way too many steps than needed due to the nature of iOS.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I'm not sure if I understand what you're tying to do, slothead. But when I want to connect my A7II to my iPhone. I select Send to Smartphone on my A7II, and the camera's screen then displays the SSID and the Password to use to connect via WiFi. I then connect to that SSID on my phone, and I'm connected. You're correct, Apple doesn't use NFC. But I've never found that to be any issue.

11. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    ok so i noticed something weird with my a6500 today, since we are on the subject.

I had my LAEA3 + tamron 70-300 silent shooting enabled. i noticed as long as i was wide open 4-5.6 (depending on focal length) i would get a silent shot,

any other aperature above wide open results in mechanical shutter sound.

i really can't figure out why.

12. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Are you sure it's not the sound of the aperture closing down to the select f stop?

13. JMM

JMM TalkEmount Regular

Jul 29, 2016
    John
    A-mount lenses aperture is loud like hitting a nail with a hammer. My minolta100 2.8 on tripod need at least 1/100 to get rid of aperture vibration, and can go as low as you want with wide open.

• Informative Informative x 3
  14. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    interesting...

15. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    Congrats on your new baby. A6500 is a super camera.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Matt, I would take Kiwi Paul's question very seriously as it seems to make sense to me.

17. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Thanks. I just wish I could use a small iPad (driven by the HDMI output) as a monitor. I don't frequently trust RF connections when I have a choice.

18. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Don't they make lightning to HDMI? i'd guess a hdmi to micro hdmi adapter would also be required as well? But i suppose iOS doesn't have a method for using the display as just a display?

here's another interesting question for you, have you tried Minimum SS when using Auto ISO? I've set my minimum to 1/125 however it doesn't seem to work. In Aperture priority mode and ISO set to Auto, still getting way lower than 1/125 in Shutter speed with indoor lighting.

19. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    makes sense to me too, just unfortunate. not a deal-breaker however. Would really like to figure out the Minimum ss however.

20. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    They make such an adapter, but I think the iPad only expects to be driving a receiver and I would be nervous plugging to drivers together.