New A6300

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by davect01, Feb 3, 2016.

1. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Nightdiver13

Nightdiver13 TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 17, 2015
    Norcal wilderness
    Neil
    I'm hugely shocked and disappointed to not see a touch screen on this body. Otherwise looks to have many nice new features and improvements on existing tech. With the ability to use the native AF system with A-mount lenses, I wonder if the AF performance would be on par with the A7rii when it comes to Canon EF lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Not sure why Sony won't include touchscreens. Would be a nice addition.

This camera does seem a nice progression of the already great A6000.

Sent from my SM-N920P using TalkEmount mobile app

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Very exciting news indeed of what sounds like a very capable camera and plus with a good starting price (same as the previous apcs flagship the Nex-7). Lack of IBIS and no touchscreen is a little disappointing though...

5. Gary Alan Box

Gary Alan Box TalkEmount Regular

Oct 3, 2015
    Northampton
    Gary Alan Box
    Still trying to understand all the specs of this camera and would love to see a detailed video review rather than list of specs. Before it was announced there were so many rumours about what it may include. On balance it seems to be a very good upgrade at a decent price. Some are unhappy about the fact there is no increase in MP, personally I find 24MP enough already. I can also live without the IBIS as most of my lenses have it. Frames per second are as before which was already more than anyone really needs. The number of AF points is amazing considering the a6000 was already a great focusing camera. I can only imagine what this will achieve. The video improvements will be welcome, I don't plan on using 4K all the time but the codec used for 1080P at various frame rates looks good. The addition of a mic in will be welcome. Another feature I like is the silent shutter.

Things I'm still not sure about. The build quality seems good but is this a weatherproof camera? Viewfinder is better than a6000 which I've always been happy with but I would have liked it to be popup type that is recessed when not in use. Also the LCD screen looks like it is hinged differently leading me to believe it will have a better range of movement but is it like a5100?

No idea of UK price yet but once I read some more information and see some real world reviews I may get one.

Are others thinking of upgrading?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Reciprocity Failure

Reciprocity Failure TalkEmount Regular

Dec 25, 2015
    Bryan
    I like the finish of the camera body. Much better than the smooth plasticy body of the A6000 in my opinion.

7. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I for one am glad they didn't add IBIS, not only would the price be much higher than it already is the weight would be insane. The small form factor is a PLUS imho. I'd get this camera for AF not for MF legacy glass. I'll keep my a7ii for that...
    the real question is did the overheating issue ACTUALLY get resolved. LAEA3 + 425 AF POINTS! = ERMAAAGHHHERD!
    4k internal video recording. but still on sdxc? no xqd?! pretty surprised by that

FE 28-70 2.8 $2200 BIG TIME SAD FACE :dash2::doh::eek-30::(:wtf:

Makes the Tamron 28-70 2.8 in Amount 1300 new plus laea3 look mighty nice 1500 vs 2200 plus u still get 425 AF points

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  8. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    One pretty neat feature of the new A6300 is the 8fps in live view without the typical stop motion shutter effect in the EVF when you are tracking a moving object. Jordan from The Camera Store said that if focuses like a 'sonofabitch' with adapted canon lenses so this should open up longer stabilized lens options.

Price is a little steep here in Canada at 1350 (thanks to the tanking loonie). My guess is that 4K is the biggest feature pushing the price up. Overall, a fair update that will be great for some and meh for others.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I'd trade 4K video for IBIS all day long but I guess I'm the minority here :D

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  11. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    i'd trade 4k for HIGHER than 120fps 1080 footage.
    lets see 960fps with af tracking @ 1080. HDR video? i'd like them to hold off on 4k until they figure out the overheating issues. just my .02 coming from a 5r that has the issue and it infuriates me...

kinda curious about the 36mp sensor rumored. a7000?

12. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    FYI B&H has the LAEA3 @ half price and expedited shipping.

@Amin Sabet@Amin Sabet hope the link i added goes to the site! i used the link from the site to purchase mine!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  13. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    • Like Like x 2
  14. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

IBIS would have been a nice addition, but Sony clearly favors the OSS in lens stabilization.

Touchscreen would also had been nice. Sony tried it once, but decided nope.

15. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
  16. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I disagree. I wouldn't call it "favors"...not the case with A7 revisions (mark II) ;)
    Now, if you told me they opt to not include IBIS in the new A6300 to save on cost, weight or size, then yes I would agree :)

17. Nightdiver13

Nightdiver13 TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 17, 2015
    Norcal wilderness
    Neil
    It does make you wonder why (not specifically talking IBIS). Cynics would say that they omitted things to drive people to the A7 market. Or it could point to an a7000 level body in the wings. Personally, I hope for the a7000 option, but fear the A7 reason is the correct one.

18. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Look at that AF! This is an amazing piece of kit IMO

19. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    Not surprised there is no IBIS given most SEL lenses have OSS but I am surprised on no BSI sensor given they are using BSI on most other cameras including the RX line. I like the addition of the AF/MF AEL switch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

Sony committed in the APS-C line to OSS in the lens. Now they could change, and it seems like a lot of folks would want this, but they seem content to leave in body stabilization to the higher end A7 model.