New A6000 - need help with yellow cast in low light

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Amamba, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    My Nex-6 will turn 4 this summer and with A6000 prices being very attractive I decided to get it.

The camera came on Monday and while it has many improvements, I did run into a problem.

When shooting in low light, CFL lighting, AWB, the camera produces extremely yellow photos. E.g. I have a reddish coffee table in a room with peach colored (orange) walls. Nex 6 would produce a close enough OOC Jpeg, sometimes with a bit too magenta. A6000 turns the walls bright yellow. The viewfinder shows correct colors, but the display shows the yellow cast. When I take the photo, the picture in the viewfinder shows proper colors for a second or so, then it turnes yellow as if the WB got automatically applied. Overall, Nex 6 seems to produce significantly more accurate low light colors.

I primarily shoot raw but I do want to be able to use a SOOC jpeg every now and then. Especially when taking the night panoramic shots, which would produce a jpeg with no raw. So this could be an issue.

I don't think setting the custom WB makes a lot of difference but I may be wrong. Somehow the camera seems to replace magenta with yellow after taking the shot.

I found several references online to the yellow cast but no workable solution.

I did try different "creative modes" and I did turn off DRO and lens shading compensation, as suggested somewhere. Doesn't seem to make a difference. The firmware is up to date, and I tried different lenses.

One other way to try and fix this would be by pushing AWB colors away from yellow by using the "color rectangle" but this would impact all other lighting conditions. Is there a way to create a custom preset setting for this ?

Anyway, my question is, does anyone know a solution ? This seems to be a fairly common problem with A6000. At least I was able to find several references - with no workable solution posted.

2. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Regular

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    It would help if you could post a jpeg showing the symptoms. I think you can go old school and use a cooling filter to correct the colors.

3. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I just realized this issue yesterday, will post something tonight.

I can probably get away with PP, just wanted to know if that's a known issue & any fixes.

4. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    You have probably looked at it but just in case, the scene selection or creative styles also affect color casts, so make sure these are on neutral settings. Also, under white balance there is a custom option that will assist with setting WB for the current light. This might help if you are going to be taking a number of photos at a gathering, for example. Sorry I do not have more explicit instructions, but I do not have my A6000 with me right now.

If it is just in the one setting you described that you noticed it thus far, it does sound like you have some unusual light present (from a camera's perspective), so it might be having difficulty deciding on what is white. If so, I am not sure what you can do other than using the custom WB setup.

I have had an A6000 for a while now and never noticed this other than incandescent light was sometimes off a bit. Since I nearly always shoot RAW and with very neutral settings, it was never much of an issue, though. It has been a great camera for me, and I may keep it despite having just bought an A7ii.

5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    The EVF should have the option to adjust brightness and hue to better match the screen and resultant jpeg.
    As for the AWB, the default setting always got the warm white CFLs off for me, so whenever I shoot indoors with them I go to the warm fluorescent setting which is way more accurate.

6. JMM

JMM TalkEmount Regular

Jul 29, 2016
    John
    It sounds like you have specific conditions that reqire specific WB, thats it. Set custom, use AWB for other situations, eh?

7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Or, save yourself all of this hassle and just shoot raw. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I went from an NEX 5t (similar to NEX6) to a6000. The fact is that unless you have a defective a6000, you are effectively saying the camera's auto WB behave differently. With the a6000, the whole jpeg engine was revamped, so this is expected. In the lighting conditions you are shooting in, the old engine may be better or it suits your preference. I am sure there will be other conditions where you prefer the new engine.

9. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Impossible if I want to use a panorama mode, or a low light (multiple shots) mode. Which I actually used quite a bit on Nex-6.

10. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Not saying you shouldn't be able to use your camera features as you see fit. You paid for it.

That said, I bet Most people on this forum stitch panorama in post. I have shot many panorama and never even thought of using panorama mode.

When I want SOOC panoramas, I use my phone.

As for low light shots. That really only works with none moving subjects since it takes multiple shots. Once again, I use a tripod or shoot multiple exposures and merge in post. If it's people, then shooting raw, bumping the ISO, and cleaning up noise in post beats night mode.

I am not trying to talk you out of doing what you are doing, I'm just saying those issues are not typical to the average forum person/enthusiast. The camera may just not be up your alley.

11. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Impossible? Only if you insist on sticking to jpegs. I've shot plenty of panoramas, but have never used the camera's built-in panorama function for any keepers, as I found it just too limiting. And I'm not sure what you mean by "low light (multiple shots)," but if you mean HDR, again, I shoot several exposures of raw images and blend them quickly and easily in Lightroom or Photoshop.

I'm really not trying to belabor this, but I do have a hard time understanding why you put yourself through the much more difficult task of trying to tweak the camera's limited jpeg settings to your liking, when the kind of images you're trying to get are so simply and easily achieved by shooting raw. I know this subject has no "right" answer. But I'm only making this suggestion in an effort to make your life ever so much easier. :D

12. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI

Don't know, Nex-6 served me just fine... I know how to stitch photos, but it's a labor intensive process, I wouldn't want to do it while processing several hundred trip photos. It takes me a year to finish as it is. And I don't always have the luxury of setting up the "right" shoot. Here's an example of using Sony's "idiot" panorama mode:

25908981323_d42daa98d2_b. Prague Old Town Hall at night by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

Could I achieve better results using a tripod and stitching several photos ? Sure. I could also use a better lens than 16-50. But it would take me far longer, and take away the time I otherwise spent enjoying a lazy walk with my family. The resulting photo is good enough for me to enjoy the memories, perhaps even to print & hang on the wall.

Anyway, I appreciate the help. I just need to figure out the solution. It may involve just giving up and stitching RAW files, but it is very useful to every now and then be able to get a decent shot just using one of the dumbed down functions. At any rate, there's enough improvements in A6000 to try & figure this one out.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  13. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I have used the A6000 panorama in a pinch. I think it does OK, though it is no match for stitched RAWs of course. Never used the low-light modes though, I just take my chances getting the best exposure I can and fixing it in post. But I'd bet a lot of typical users do use them now and then.

I would be pretty confident most of us here are not typical users, especially on APS-C. :shakehead:

• Agree Agree x 1