1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

New 35mm f/1.8

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by oylo, Sep 12, 2012.

1. oylo

oylo TalkEmount Regular

Aug 16, 2012
    Norway
    Have just preordret this .... 35mm f1/8.

But it's a long time to wait. December!

Ordered it at Adorama.

2. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Anyone spotted these in silver anywhere yet? :D

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    Hmmm...
    I remember how tough the 50 was to get after it was announced.....Hopefully, this 35 won't follow that slow availability that the 50 suffered from...

4. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Ephotozine have a review of the lens here with sample photos:
    Sony E 35mm f/1.8 OSS Lens Review

Looks good, but £400 when the (equally good) Sony Alpha SLT version is only £125 - ouch! Or when the Sigma Nex mount 30mm is £135 (although obviously it's not an f1.8 lens and has no oss).

Think I will stick with my 28mm FD (£20) and 28mm Vivitar (£15) lenses for now. :D (I already have a m43 camera and a Panasonic 20mm f1.7 for when I want AF and that focal length - I though the Panasonic was pricey but @ £210 even it's half the price of the Nex 35mm f1.8).

5. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    The Sony 35mm would fill the gap between my 24mm and the 50mm -- but so would the upcoming Zeiss 32mm. I'm hoping, but I'm not confident, that the new Zeiss will be available for testing before the Sony is actually on sale, so that we can know if it's worth the wait. (That is a hint to Zeiss.)

The Zeiss will be a bit more money, but a prime in that 32-35mm range will be the workhorse lens for me. (In this context "a bit" is a euphemism that I'm readying just in case.)

6. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I think I read on the Zeiss blog that they were expected "Spring 2013" which means March at the earliest. I am not worried, I will wait. If the 32/1.8 is any good, I expect I'll sell a lot of my wider lenses to fund it.